USPS is increasing the price of mail in July 2022

I hate to be pedantic, but carrier pigeons are trained to fly home from wherever they are being held. So in order to use them for Postcrossing, you would have to travel to the address of the recipient, pick up their pigeon, travel home, attach the postcard and release the pigeon.

But dust them off anyway, it’s good for their feathers.

2 Likes

It’ was actually a joke and not to be taken literally. I’m well aware of how carrier pigeons operate, I guess I’m just not all that well aware of how people can sometimes be, well, a bit too pedantic.

1 Like

P.S. And I’m curious: Not to be too pedantic, or anything, but exactly where in my original statement did I say that I was going to use my carrier pigeons for Postcrossing, a purpose for which, as you have already pointed out, they would not be suited?

Oh Jeff, you should know by now not to take anything I say too seriously. It’s half the fun of this forum! As for why I assumed you meant to use postage birds to post postcards for Postcrossing…gosh, I really can’t say.

1 Like

Carrier pigeons are now called “postage” birds? Who would’ve thought! And really, I don’t know why you assumed I’d use “postage birds to post postcards for Postcrossing,” in the same way I wouldn’t know why you would assume I’d go to a drugstore only to buy drugs. After all, you can use a drugstore, these days, for more than just buying drugs, in the same way that carrier pigeons were, and perhaps still are, used to send messages, not postcards.

So what are you planning on using them for? Not espionage, I hope. And how did they get so dusty in the first place?

Why did you then write “time to dust off my carrier pigeons”?

It’s implied in the message under this topic, (if prices go up and you talk about mail pigeons, it’s normal to think you joke about taking them into use), but I didn’t take it seriously.

But, what I wanted write more:

this shows our postal rate wrong, I think.
To me it looks like Finland would be 3,5 American Dollars (interesting observation: I don’t have a dollar icon in my laptop :frowning: ), but it’s 1,95 € ( 2, 27 in American Dollars).

(Edit. I can’t read the whole thing behind the link, because it says unsafe, so, is this calculated somehow taken into account median salaries in given countries etc.?)

No, not espionage, they don’t really wear disguises all that well. Even in dark sunglasses, they still look like pigeons.

1 Like

Why" Because it was a joke, that’s why.

2 Likes

I too think there’s something wrong with that chart. Although the chart doesn’t link to any Deutsche Post links, I think it’s from this document.

https://www.dpdhl.com/content/dam/dpdhl/en/media-center/media-relations/documents/2021/letter-prices-in-europe-2021.pdf

On page 7, there’s a chart comparing domestic prices where Finland is in second spot at 3.35 € . The methodology says that for domestic letters, they have considered the fastest letter mail product in all countries which carries a nextday delivery target. I suppose this is letter mail with proof of delivery and not a normal letter.

Further down in the document, there’s another chart comparing prices of sending within Europe and here I see Finland with 1.95 € . But these charts seem to compare prices of letter products that are delivered quicker rather than normal mail.

2 Likes

In some countries the postal service is very expensive.
In Austria:

Austria:
-Economy normal letter 0,74 EUR (2-4 days, sometimes also 1 day)
-Priority normal letter 0,85 EUR (1-2 days)

Europe (also Russia)
-Normal letter 1,00 EUR

Global (without Europe)
-Normal letter 1,80 EUR

2 Likes

Thank you, it seems the 3, 35€ could be the price of normal mail stamp and “Plus”-stamp together, that guarantees the mail delivered in two working days and you can follow it and see when it’s delivered.

2 Likes

In Austria you cannot follow a normal letter. If you pay 2,75 you can follow it but not very precisely.

If the price goes up so be it, unless it is what I suspect it really is, which would be more personal funds for the likes of Trump, DeJoy, and the rest of the gang.

The price of everything (gas, food, transportation, clothes, cars, utilities) has gone up a lot this year, so why is anyone surprised?

I had never thought too hard about how carrier pigeoning worked. That makes a lot of sense. So they’re a very one-way use though - did someone have to bring a bunch of them back to the “field office” for comms with HQ then if they dont know how to fly back?

I’m totally in support of the USPS being market competitive and supporting themselves. I’m sad that it is corresponding with my postcrossing revival though! :slight_smile: I’m wondering if this means i need to stock up on those god awful international forever stamps though. Edit: Looks like they are releasing a new 2022 version but it’s still in the flower theme which i do not love.

You don’t have to. You can combine domestic forever stamps with valued stamps to get to international value.
Here’s a link on what works currently:

I honestly feel like I live under a rock sometimes. I sent out a bunch of mail on July 12th, only to find out about the postage increase today! I’m usually good at keeping up with the increases, but there are a few times where I just don’t check.
I wonder if there is a simple way to notify all people about this … like those automated text messages, or could it be a simple card that get’s mailed to everyone like junk mail style? Or is it just me, not watching the news/television to know this? Ugh, probably silly suggestions, but my brain is just trying to make sense of this recent change that it didn’t get to process in time.

Another thought! Probably far-fetched and complicated to keep up, but wouldn’t it be neat if through Postcrossing, it gave you the postage fee when you request an address?