"Upright" back side of the postcard

I live in Japan and most often than not, postcards are like this. Sometimes the postal code boxes are also vertical. Many times I’ll flip the card horizontally and write as best I can in the space available, very rarely have I had to put a label to cover part of the card. But I don’t mind labels at all, in many cases it helps strengthen the card to survive the rigors of international travel!

2 Likes

I saw this postcard passing by and I thought it looked strange. Doesn’t the address always belong on the right with the stamp above it? Should you write your message here below the stamp and above the address or should I just not start?

3 Likes

Vertical postcards are more common Asia, and I think it’s more common to see the address in the top left next to the stamp but I’ve definitely seen this configuration a fair bit too. Personally, my experience is that if there’s an address on it somewhere, it’ll arrive eventually :sweat_smile: But sometimes I just ignore the printed format and write it the other way if I’m worried about it arriving for some reason.

Here is another post with some discussion about this layout: "Upright" back side of the postcard

It looks like a pretty card! :rose:

5 Likes

thank you! I’m still a bit searching, I sent my first 2 cards today.

4 Likes

For me will be this one that I recently picked up on my travel in Dublin,Ireland.
I still didn’t find a profile to send it but I have to wonder how to write the address so it won’t get confusing for the Post itself. Maybe design wise had to be without the lines which will be easier or I guess my option will be to send a postcard like this in an envelope

6 Likes

My husband would love that card, if you would consider a swap, please let me know :blush: x

3 Likes

I the USA the US Postal Service does not allow us to send them in vertical format but we can receive them. I believe they have to be sorted manually which does delay delivery.

2 Likes

The six small squares shown in the picture are actually used to fill in the postal code, and it appears to be a very standard Chinese postal code format. In China, almost all postcards must have six small squares for filling in the postal code. As for the format of the back of the postcard that everyone is discussing, according to my personal understanding, for example, in China, the direction of the format on the back of many postcards is not fixed, but is determined by the direction of the pattern on the front. If the front is a vertical picture, then the format on the back is also vertical. If the front is a horizontal picture, then the back is also written horizontally. However, there are exceptions. For example, if the postcard is officially published by China Post, then it is usually a unified format and direction.

Vertical:

Horizontal

Sometimes cards from Japan are like this:

5 Likes

It’s interesting that this topic was revived by the merging of yours because just this week I’ve got an upright card. The sender is in Germany, as am I. They put the stamp on the top right corner, the address right below it, and the message at the bottom. I’ve heard and read over and over that cards in Germany MUST follow the traditional format so I was surprised she was able to get away with it. I guess they tell us to follow the rules because if everyone does something different it will be a nightmare for them, but a few cards is ok? I don’t know.

I recently also got a letter from a pen pal with insufficient postage but it was delivered anyway (I got curious because it felt too heavy and I was right: it was 25g, 5g over the limit for the first class), while I neurotically weigh every letter, worry if it’s 20g on the dot, and add more postage if it’s 21g :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have the same set of “vintage-looking” cards and this back. I think I will put an address sticker in the “normal” place and write my message on the lines.

3 Likes