Need help translating a postcard you've received?

This is a topic where you can request help from other postcrossers to translate something you cannot read on a postcard you have received.

You can post a photo of your postcard text here, and someone will hopefully see your request and reply with a translation soon. Please make sure you hide any identifying details from the image, such as names or Postcard IDs.

Keep in mind that you can use tools like Google Translate, DeepL, Yandex Translate for a quicker result.

Note: The purpose of this topic is to help translate text that is unintelligible, and posts on the topic are regularly deleted, so that postcard messages don’t stay here for too long. The Community Guidelines still apply otherwise, both in other part of the forum as well as outside of it, so please don’t share the written side of postcards elsewhere.

53 Likes

“中华鲟” is the name of Chinese sturgeon :shark:, an anadromous species native to China :cn:.
“长江” means Yangtze River, “梦” means dream :zzz: and “鱼” stands for fish :fish: in Chinese.

Because the pronunciation of sturgeon is similar with “finding” in Chinese, the upper phrase could be interpreted into “Chinese sturgeons pursue their dream”. The lower one literally means “Fish live in the Yangtze River”.

Generally, it is a piece of Chinese slogan on endangered species act :fishing_pole_and_fish: to raise public environmental awareness. :national_park:

7 Likes

Hello! Could anyone please tell me what the front of this card says? Thank you! :pray:

@twinkledee

Along the (沿着) postal route (邮路), (we) see China (看中国)

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Could someone help me translate this postcard please?

@Lilou_lavande

日暮(dusk)东风(east wind)怨(sighs)啼鸟(crying birds) - At dusk, the crying birds sigh in the east wind

落花(fallen flowers)犹似(resemble)坠楼人(the fallen person) - The many fallen flowers resembles Green Pearl (A concubine of Shi Chong who died by falling off a building)

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s very interesting!

Cheers!
There’s lots of interesting poems in Chinese that deserve to be known by more people, so it’s awesome to see them on cards being sent out! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes, so true! I love poems. And I would never have known without this translation help… :slight_smile:

:slightly_smiling_face: Can someone please translate the words on the card.
Thank you.

Google says this, I’m sure someone else can confirm it though x

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Thank you.

1 Like