- ‼ updated rules - Need help translating a postcard you've received?

This is a topic where you can request help from other postcrossers to translate something you cannot read on a postcard you have received.

You can post a photo of your postcard text here, and someone will hopefully see your request and reply with a translation soon. Please make sure you hide any identifying details from the image, such as names or Postcard IDs.

Keep in mind that you can use tools like Google Translate, DeepL, Yandex Translate for a quicker result.

Note: The purpose of this topic is to help translate text that is unintelligible, and posts on the topic are regularly deleted, so that postcard messages don’t stay here for too long. The Community Guidelines still apply otherwise, both in other part of the forum as well as outside of it, so please don’t share the written side of postcards elsewhere.

37 Likes

Google Lens is not perfect. That’s why we have this thread!
I like it when people add information or explain the cultural background, play-with-words, nuance and meaning behind the message .

ちっぽけな自分を空の上から眺めてみよう。

ほら、
今のその悩みなんて
ちいさい。
ちいさい。

Here is the literal translation:
Try to look at your little self from the sky.
See? The worries you have now
are tiny. tiny.

What it means: (this is a “cheer-up” postcard)
When we’re down, let’s try to look at ourselves from far far above.
See? Looking at things from a much bigger scale, even the troubles and worries we’re experiencing right now become tiny. Very tiny.

22 Likes

쓰담 쓰담 means lightly patting
반갑습니다 is a very polite way of saying “nice to meet you”
5월의 마지막 일요일이요 literally means it is the last Sunday of May, equal to the sender wrote this card on 29/5, the last Sunday of May.

And sorry for not typing out the remaining Korean characters (I am lazy…)

The sender said he/she was looking forward to the EUROPA stamps (유로파 우표) too, and they are hard to receive. He/she also wish you great days in a very polite way.

2022년 5월 29일

• 년 means year, 월 means month, 일 means day

ps. the sender is not using the typical style of writing, seems like some local dialects’ style is mixed in, I guess he/she is not from Seoul?

Hope this helps ◡̈

5 Likes

Many people auto translate pages and seem oblivious to the fact that they do. It seems they therefore think people speak their language, because they can read their profile in that language.

6 Likes

A quote from a poem the Snow in Nanqin by Yuanzhen(779-831). Nanqin is a ancient place name. The poem describes that the just promoted poet (the poets in Ancient China are usually officials) on the way to business came across a snow scene under the crag on Cold Food Festival(usually in April).
The meaning of the quote is:(Under the snow,) hundreds of mountains, which look like stalagmite, are similar to jade. (Because of the snow), the Chinese Usnea on thousands of trees, looks like clouds.

The image of Chinese Usnea

13 Likes

I now realize it’s a poem called Spring Storm by Fyodor Tyutchev. Quite beautiful:

I love a storm in early May
When springtime’s boisterous, firstborn thunder
Over the sky will gaily wander
And growl and roar as though in play.

A peal, another - gleeful, cheering…
Rain, raindust… On the trees, behold!-
The drops hang, each a long pearl earring;
Bright sunshine paints the thin threads gold.

A stream downhill goes rushing reckless,
And in the woods the birds rejoice.
Din. Clamour. Noise. All nature echoes
The thunder’s youthful, merry voice.

You’ll say: 'Tis laughing, carefree Hebe -
She fed her father’s eagle, and
The Storm Cup brimming with a seething
And bubbling wine dropped from her hand.

13 Likes

Sometimes I feel that everything in the world is a lie, but that doesn’t stop me from believing and loving the world from the bottom of my heart.

9 Likes

I will do my best:

Voll has two meanings:

1. Full (that is the normal meaning of Voll)
  2. to be intoxicated by alcohol (colloquial use)

Aber Hallo is also colloquial und means something like: Yes, for sure.

So the filling station attended (a word I had to look up :see_no_evil:) not only asks if the car should be refilled but also if the driver is completely drunk.

Hope this helps.

6 Likes

Hello Timur,
I live in a small town near Speyer, over 2000 years old (I think she means Speyer is that old :joy:) I like hiking, cycling, reading and more. I love sport and traveling. Have a nice time. Stay healthy and save. Many greetings [name]

5 Likes

Interesting fact. We got the paper cutting art come into Ukraine in XIX century. This art is called Vytynanky in Ukrainian. Commoners used to decorate their houses (hata, pl. haty) with it, some still do it. Dmytro Vlasiychuk is famous for his works in ethnic Ukrainian style, which you can see here. It is interesting to see how the same art unfolds in various countries. This one sure has the origin from China. :wink:

5 Likes

To me it looks like “Privet, leto!” = “Hello, summer!” But maybe some native speaker can confirm it.

5 Likes

Hello!
I pulled an address in Russia today.
It is going to “ul. 24 Severnaya…”

Now I would like to know what ‘Severnaya’ mean.
It must mean ‘street of the 24th…’, am I right?

Thanks for helping

Andreas

Hello. If this is the city Omsk, there are many streets with the name Severnaya and they are numbered.
Ul. 24 Severnaya, you are right.

Severnaya means northern, by the way. So it is the 24th northern street.

oh super thank you :slight_smile: “spaciva” :slight_smile:

Dear postcrossers,
I need your help in translating handwritten text.

picture removed by moderator, because ID and name were not hidden.

My guess is:

"Privet [name],

I’m [name] from Germany and I show you my last visited exhibition (ceramics). The artist lives near river(?) Rhine and has a wonderful(?) garden too.
I like flowers, tea, dark chocolate and red wine. Prost(?)!"

1 Like

:+1:t3:

@nnniiina

old history museum and a water mill

1 Like

Yes, obviously! thank you! :partying_face:

1 Like