Unclear handwritten ID numbers

I would guess those are ones from Russia, myself.

That squiggle in the middle is a 2 but it could have been a 5
Scan

and this first character is a 4; it’s a good thing there’s a 7 next to it, because it looks like a 7 to me.
Scan 1

1 Like

But people have the option to print it like that directly from the postcrossing website with the ID above the address. Mailman once asked me about it too

I think one is supposed to cut it off the printed paper and stick to other place on the card because the site clearly says on help section that you should not place the ID number anywhere near the address.

4 Likes

Yeah I guess people aren’t reading it :slightly_frowning_face:

Yeah, sadly reading the guidelines is not the most common thing people do :confused: But now that you mentioned that the ID prints out with the address, I understand why so many cards with printed address have the ID right there. I thought that was just a coincidence. My printer is in such a hard to reach place I have never attempted to print out the addresses.

Let me have a guess, the card is from Taiwan?

It could be, I’ve put it away now in the box where all the received cards go, it would take some time to find it again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Look at those happy lying matchstick men. They are supposed to be two 20s. The Taiwanese have clearly a strange way to write 2s.

13 Likes

:smiley: I like your writing style.

2 Likes

Thanks. :blush:

I have learned at school, but that was in the 1970s, maybe it is outdated now.

1 Like

At first I had also problems to identify those numbers as 8s. I really took a short while.

In France too.

Here are some 1s from Germany
Scan
and it took a while to find it, but here is an undecipherable number, written twice, identically. I still can’t read it and had to go through my ‘received’ cards to find it. I must have asked for help on this one. :expressionless:
Scan 1

(While going through the box, I found a card without a registration number, which I had completely forgotten about.)

I know exactly when I started adopting the habit of putting a line through my sevens. It was my first year in college taking a calculus course, I knew all the homework was being graded by teaching assistants who were graduate students from European countries. I was afraid that if they couldn’t read my numbers, they would just mark my work as wrong.

Have you ever had numbers with signs looking like old fashioned walking sticks in it? I had that. They turned out to be 7s. At first I had to ask the support to find out the right Id, for I could not imagine at all which digit the walking sticks should be. Tje cards came from east Asia.

Scan 1

Looks like 7272 for me
The 7 reminds me at the digits from a caculator.

But I also had sometimes trouble with decipher IDs

1 Like

Earlier today it took me some time to figure out a 9 that looked more like a 4 and a Z that really looked like a 2.
I’m also currently waiting for a ID number, but this case is a little bit different - I received a card with the ID number printed, so very clear, but it turned out inexistent. And the sender just wrote “enjoy Postcrossing” so I have no clues to further investigate…

Once I got a card with the ID crossed out and a strange zip code written on top of it - I guess that was the mail (it doesn’t match the sender’s writing) they must have thought that the ID was some kind of zip code. Dispite of all I’m really glad it found its way to me, because it’s one of my favorites :upside_down_face:

4 Likes