Stamp Out War: Support Ukraine! (2022 Edition)

Indeed, it would be a bit tricky for my mail to reach Cambodia on time.

In case anyone else finds my original post unclear, here are the typical steps I am asking the participants to follow:
(1) You give me your postal address in your country.
(2) I mail you the postcard with appropriate stamp fixed on the image side of the card.
(3) On the 24th of August, you go to a local post office and ask the card be postmarked (always on the image side).
(4) You put the card in the return envelope I prepared, seal it and mail it back to me.

And thatā€™s it!

For some participants, there may be an additional step of gluing the stamp at the upper right corner of the card on the image side, if the card and the stamp arrive separately.

There may be complications at the post office in some countries: for instance, there may be rules regarding what can be postmarked; some countries no longer do cancellation; some donā€™t even have a post office anymore! But for the vast majority of countries, requesting a cancel on a legitimate stamp is permitted and cost-free. Universality of postal service is what makes me chose this medium at expressing my support for Ukraine.

I hope this clarifies things a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I am not sure I understood everything, but I can send your postcard back with the French stamp. Or maybe you already received such stamps?

3 Likes

Yes! I have a sister and a philatelist friend living in France, so Franceā€™s participation has long since been confirmed! La Posteā€™s online shop accepts foreign credit cards and ships to oversea address, this makes Franceā€™s participation really hassle-free! Thank you for your interest in my project :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, great!
So if I understand well, you donā€™t need me to send you back your postcard with the stamp? (sorry, sometimes my brain is a bit slow :smile:)

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, your understanding is correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

sorry i canā€™t help but good luck

2 Likes

Ok great! Wish you good luck for this great project!

6 Likes

It is a very wonderful project :sparkles:
I have the same sunflower stamp as @omatsu and this one too :sunflower:

And if the postcard arrives quickly, I will consider going to the post office to get this sunflower postmark :dove:

It takes almost two hours by car, but if I am in good physical condition, I would like to visit the post office for this postmark.

8 Likes

It would be nice if you could share your slides with the Stand with Ukraine group, moderated by @s0nata.

2 Likes

Sure! I donā€™t know how to share a document on this forum but you can download the pdf and distribute it. Let me know if you would like to have it in jpeg format.

2 Likes

Good luck!

How are the responses, so far, including DMs (U2U)?

You forgot those new issue ones. @delda

3 Likes

The Spanish one is included in my project, itā€™s just not shown in my picture because I never received my order from Spain placed over a month ago (!!).

The Lithuanian new issue doesnā€™t mention Ukraine specifically, nor does it have the blue and yellow colour scheme of the rest. So itā€™s excluded. For the same reason, I also exclude this ā€˜officialā€™ personalised stamp issued by Liechtenstein Postā€™s official personalized stamp division.

As for the Ukrainian issues, itā€™s harder to pick. When I set the project execution date to be Ukraineā€™s national day, I immediate faced the problem that this year, Ukraine Post didnā€™t plan a new stamp issue to celebrate the countryā€™s independence. So I have to use older issues and there were 5 of them. But it would be nice, I thought, to have something issued in 2022, as the war started this year. The warship stamps were the first new issues since the war started, and is by now the most popular Ukrainian stamps, so even though itā€™s a bit pro-military in design and the colours are off, they were chosen to represent Ukraine.

I personally prefer the later issue ā€˜Good Evening ā€¦ā€™ that has the closest colour tone to Ukraineā€™s national flag, but there is a limited number (up to about 27) of maxicards I can produce in Kyiv, odds are high that I cannot make extra maxicard with it. Plus, I have already purchased the first edition of the warship stamps at current market price, so I better make good use of them or else they will go waste.

I hope this explains the rationale behind my choice of stamps. If you have any other suggestion, I would be pleased to know.

2 Likes

@Dorinco On this forum you meant? Itā€™s been fantastic so far! I would say the reply rate is higher than on Facebook. I should have posted here as soon as you recommended so, that way my list of participating countries would be fuller. (I wrongly thought we were obliged to do postcard swap in order to join the forum.) This is such a vibrant community!

1 Like

Maybe you are misunderstood of the Lithuanian new issue one.It is about donate the drone to Ukraine.You see the donate number 1 Euro is for buying the Turkish TIHA drone. @delda You can find more info at LT post official site about it.Hope it will help.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I initiated a fundraiser to help cover the cost of my Ukraine project. Any leftover will be donated to Canada-Ukraine Foundation.

Regardless of the amount raised, the perks are guaranteed to be delivered because they are mostly ready now.

To the contributors, I am offering

• postcards;
  • signed fine art prints of different sizes;
  • the Canadian variety of Ukraine support maxicards;
  • the second printing of my photo book, signed with personalised dedication (the publication of this book was funded by Canada Council for the Arts);
  • unique hand-drawn cover (one available).
    (the last two are for philatelists mostly)

I do make larger prints even though I stop at 8x10 for this campaign. Please contact me if you should like a larger print; the shipping may be tricky but we can sort this out in private.

I feel sorry for international contributors, yet the shipping cost is really out of my control. (Canada Post charges the second highest shipping rate in the world next to Norway insofar as I know.)

I donā€™t expect many donations nor reaching my goal ($500). At first I even questioned if itā€™s worth the trouble to set up an online fundraiser as I expect the contributions would come from people who knew me already. But my friend who suggested trying crowdfunding to ease my financial burden said that I should give total strangers a chance. Feel free to share this and spread the words.

1 Like

Good responses!

To those non-collectors who are unsure the difference between a maxicard and a fine art (ā€˜giclĆ©eā€™) print, here are the differences:

• maxicards are limited in quantity but prints are not;
  • maxicard is 5x7 whereas prints are offered at 5x7 and 8x10 with extra white border, or if you want larger print, please contact me (of course you can trim the border if you donā€™t like it, but my signature and title of the work are going to be placed there);
  • maxicard is printed on an uncoated card stock by standard 4-ink digital offset printing process, the colour is more mute and unattractive; whereas fine art print is printed on coated paper by a 12-ink inkjet printer, the colour is vibrant and details really pop up (although in this particular photograph, there are not that many important details);
  • maxicard has a stamp and a postmark placed at the upper right corner on the image side, whereas print doesnā€™t;

Overall, if you are looking for something rare, historically significant, philatelically worthy and donā€™t mind the lesser visual quality, you should choose maxicard. If you donā€™t care about value, history, and just want a clean visual of stunning quality to decorate your space, you should chose fine art print.

1 Like

What you said about a maxicard might pertain to maxicards that YOU create.
Otherwise, there are many sizes for the postcard support, many printing specs, places for the stamp, etc.