Trying to write in the recipient's native language

While reading the replies, I just realized that whenever I receive a card written in language that the sender assumes is my native, one of my first thoughts is “do they want me to point out (possible) mistakes?” and because I don’t want to make wrong assumptions I usually reply just briefly without commenting the text itself.

So, members that wants to practice; it might be a good idea to add a note that you are welcoming any corrections or tips about how to improve. Just a thought I had. And of course only if you want that kind of reply. Or maybe even straight up ask something that you have been struggling with so you might get more specific help and better training :thinking:

I will write in very rusty French on the rare occasion I get a French address and that always seems to go down well. My daughter is taking German at school and she loves the fact she pulls so many German addresses so she can practice. I always try to write hello in the native language of the person I’m writing to. I am in awe of how amazing the standard of English is on the cards I recieve.

2 Likes

I got a card with just a couple of phrases in Welsh today. There were lots of reasons why the card was special, but this was definitely part of it.
I’ve not tried even writing a greeting in the language of the recipient country, but this will definitely encourage me to try

1 Like

If you type “Hello! Greetings from [country]!” in the country into Google Translate, that’s something it should be able to handle nicely.

1 Like

I’ve recently realised that I can use Postcrossing to improve my German and it’s going quite well! :slight_smile: I ask on my profile that German speakers write to me in German and I write Hurray messages and (parts of) postcards in German, too. I’m sure I’m making some grammar mistakes, but I’m just hoping the recipient won’t mind!

Because I’m using German more often now, I also dare to speak it in shops and such whenever I get the chance, which feels like a small victory (because I always find it quite scary to speak a language I don’t know that well).

8 Likes

I am learning German and since I put it on my Postcrossing profile the majority of postcards I receive from Germany are written in German, which I really appreciate! I have to look up some of the words to improve my vocabulary but my reading is definitely improving.

I try to write most of my postcards to Germany in German now. It takes me quite a long time, and I’m sure I make grammatical errors, but recipients are very polite about my attempts, and sometimes I receive Hurray messages written in German. I feel like so many people write to me in English when it isn’t their first language that I really ought to make the attempt, even if it’s imperfect.

7 Likes

I write a lot of cards in German. My wife is from Berlin so I hear this language every day. I don’t know anything more than basic introductions in other languages though. Sometimes I’ll use them.

I write almost all my cards in English (or German if they list it as a language), but when I have the feeling they don’t speak either of these languages, well I might switch to Spanish or French (I forgot most of the languages… so I don’t do it often). I often receive cards written partly or completely in German and I don’t mind any mistakes at all as long as I get what they want to tell (which is like 99% of the time). I don’t point them out though (I only would do it, when I’m asked for) and if I receive a card in German, my Hurray message will be in German (when I have the feeling they’re pretty good in understanding the German) or bilingual in German / English (when I have the feeling they’re still at a beginner’s level).

I’ve eben done swaps with people writing to me in Spanish (as their English wasn’t good enough to write more than two sentences) and I was answering in English.

in short: if you feel like using another language, just do it! If you can’t finish in that language: fine, just switch to English then.

3 Likes

This is so nice! Just make sure you know what’s their native language. :joy: I’ve already received some postcards fully written in English but with greetings written in Spanish, which is not my native language for sure.

1 Like

@meylinhares But how could we know their native language? Most people don’t mention it in their profiles. Spanish is mentioned in your profile so when people want to say hello in another language than English and they don’t speak Portuguese but they speak Spanish… So they want to use Spanish.

2 Likes

If someone decides to write a message entirely in Spanish, I know it’s because we both speak the language. As you said, I inform this on my profile. But when someone writes a message entirely in English and greetings or another short thing like this in Spanish, it’s clear to me they’re just trying to be nice and write something in what they think are my native language. Haha. :grin: I usually write my postcards in English or another language the recipient and I both understand, but if I really want to write something in the recipient’s native language and don’t know much about their culture, I would simply google it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But my point is how would I know your native language? Does Google know it? You could have moved to Brazil from Spain or other country. Should I just presume it’s Portuguese?

2 Likes

Well, personally when talking about native language, I would relate it to the place where the person is currently living if there’s no other information on the profile. If we follow this line of thought, it would be almost impossible to write anyhing in other people native languages and this topic wouldn’t make sense. :neutral_face: And you’re not “just presuming”. I live in Brazil and that’s all the information you have, since I didn’t said I moved from Spain.

Ok! I just handled this issue. Now anyone who reads my profile will know I haven’t moved from Spain to Brazil and, just to be sure, I also made clear my native language is Portuguese and not Spanish. Hahahaha :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

To the OP, I would say Do whatever you want. The card gives you a space to express your message but in the end, you will never see them again nor be matched again with the same person.

I usually have peppered a card with a few words in another person’s language than finished off in English. Or just write English entirely.
Go with your gut instinct.
If you aren’t fluent fluent, it may surprise your recipient. They may offer corrections in their Hurray message or not. Either way, you’re expressing yourself.

And no! I haven’t move from Spain or any other Spanish speaking country, so my native language is Portuguese.

My goodness, that’s extremely passive-aggressive :joy:

2 Likes

That was not my intention. It’s just a joke! My profile is inactive right now and I’ll change this text later, so I believe I’ll not offend anyone. :grin:

I got a postcard from Russia once that was all written in Portuguese. Of course there was some little mistakes, but I was very happy and just thought it was so kind of her. And I’m sure her Portuguese is better than she thinks it is.
I’ve been learning French on my own recently, but I’m still in a very basic level. So when I write a postcard to someone who speaks this language I just write a little bit about myself in French, then I switch to English and explain I’m still learning it. So far I only got nice responses. :blush:
I think you shouldn’t worry too much about it and just take this opportunity to practice your Dutch. I’m sure most of the postcrossers will love it.

1 Like

I think it’s clear it’s a joke if reading the whole message and other of your messages with such a friendly tone :hugs:

1 Like

That’s ok :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: but I hope you won’t get upset anymore if someone who doesn’t know Portuguese greets you in Spanish :blush::+1: I’m quite sure they don’t mean any harm.

3 Likes