Troubles with delivery in the US?

If I may ask…how do you (and your relatives) know this? How would this help them achieve the goal of securing a larger budget?

4 Likes

I agree. At one time I had 50 expired cards and many aged off as they were sent before covid really started up. I slowed down on sending officials. My cards in the forums have a higher rate of success at least.

1 Like

Don’t forget that usually this time of the year, the USPS hires many temporary workers to help out with the extra Christmas mail. They don’t have the training or experience permanent employees have. Right now, many people are on vacation as well. And from what I heard, not sure if it is true, many people have been out with COVID. Plus, our Postmaster General has been accused of undermining the system.

I want to hug those who are working at the USPS. I hope the situation can get better after the holidays.

My parents wanted to send me a box to me in Japan, and I said not right now as I saw massive delays. I sent my mom (who lives on the East Coast) a card on December 5 and she hasn’t gotten it yet. (Though, my West Coast relatives got my card in two weeks. I got a card from an aunt in CA and it took 9 days). This could be like in May and June where it took two months to get any cards from me.

1 Like

Have you heard of Informed Delivery in the US? I just signed up.
It is a service with the USPS and it is free. It scans your mail and packages and you have a digital record of what the post office has received and would SHOULD come.

I thought it was great until I saw that today the mail carrier lost a postcard! The postcard showed up yesterday in my digital mailbox in Informed Delivery, with 2 other postcards, but it did not get delivered! So the problem happened with the carrier since it was scanned in at the post office.
I submitted a complaint that it didn’t arrive. Let’s see if they find it.

1 Like

You can check out a discussion about how to deal with that here:
Should I register a postcard I can see in informed delivery but was lost just prior to delivery?

1 Like

I have had a postcard in Informed Delivery that took a week or so from there to finally make it into my mailbox (without filing a complaint)! The ways of USPS are a mystery to me …

2 Likes

Yep! I’ve found it’s rarely completely accurate. Most often I get cards that weren’t on the email, which is a fun surprise. But every now and then they show up late. A week was probably my latest, too.

1 Like

Postcards from Italy to the USA take more than 60 days usually. When they arrive within a month, it’s like a miracle

My mail to the USA takes 17 days on average. I literally can walk to the US in 2 minutes from my house. That seems insanely long to me.

1 Like

Often my overseas mail is quicker than within the US :sweat_smile: I blame it on the fact that international is air mail.

2 Likes

A lot of the domestic mail in Canada also travels as air mail. A postcard I send to the other side of the country within 4 days.

1 Like

Is anyone in the US having issues with US-to-US delivery right now? Or is it just me? Recently probably 30% of my cards to US addresses are disappearing into the void. I finally turned off the “send to your own country” option for the first time since I started Postcrossing because domestic service - at least from my post office - seems to be totally unreliable.

Definitely slower - double the time to arrive lately.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve sent one within the same state and it’s been two weeks already. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The last two weeks delivery of postcards has been the quickest I’ve ever seen in my 10+ years of being a member. I just got a card from Ireland that only took four days. Now last month, media mail was incredibly slow, but that’s a whole different issue.

About 60% of the postcards I receive are damaged in exactly the same place. It looks like they get stuck in a machine and a wheel spins and spins on top of it creating a black or white spot.

Anyone else in the US seeing this?

3 Likes

Yep pretty common. It’s just one of the quirks of the US mail system. Worse with glossy cards, I’ve found.

3 Likes

that damage is from the little rubber gaskets on the wheels in the sorting machines. every machine has about 60 turns it takes each piece thru…these are designed to separate the mail, get it oriented into the right direction, sniff out drugs!!, and eventually to space the items so that the computer eyes can read the addresses and put the appropriate orange tick marks and black sorting marks on them and the informed delivery pictures can be taken. each piece of mail is run thru that 60 roller machine a minimum of 3 times to hit all of the systems…the rubber fingers the move things along are hitting the exact same spot on your postcards 180 times and the machines are running much faster in the usa than in any other country…and really they are running faster than they should be…so they aren’t being gentle at all. if your item was stuck in a machine you would see the card was torn or mangled in some fashion…and that happens A LOT as well.

4 Likes

I work for the post office. please do not assume your carrier is who lost the card…first of all, the informed delivery pictures are taken at step one of about a 10 step process…that is why the email says that you can expect to see the item within 7 to 10 days. and that step one happens in the sorting plant that is closest to YOU, the picture is taken when the piece of mail first enters the mailstream after your carrier picked it up and deposited it at the local post office and the PO sent it that night to the nearest sorting plant. (maybe that makes it step 3 of the process and adds even more steps total to the end)

second–postcards are very small and the systems are not really made for them so they fall out, and must be handled by a human much more than the average letter

third–the mail sorting machines run very very fast and postcards tend to stick to other items, so they are often misrouted initially and must be caught by a clerk or a carrier and sent BACK to the processing plant to be rerouted.

fourth–even if all the routing marks are correct, again the mail sorts happen very fast and the people at the plant are supposed to run the mail a minimum of 3 times for the last sort…they take shortcuts and often only do it twice…which means that I get a lot of mail for surrounding cities intermixed with my own route’s mail in my supposedly fully automated trays of mail…it takes 2 or 3 days for that mail to be resorted when it is not just for another route in my post office.

fifth–the usps is running daily while understaffed. there is not a single department that has the full manpower that it needs, which is why the machines are running too fast and that shortcuts are being taken in the plant. Then when it comes to delivery, the carriers are not being given their days off so they are overly tired, or it is a substitute who is working several full routes that day and may not have had a single day off in weeks! We are human…and the average route has 600 to 1000 boxes to serve, in the cities there can be many more than that! and each of those may have several names associated with them and alternate addresses over the years. It is a lot for a substitute to have to learn and know. If the mail does not come properly sorted by the machines it may sit at the case and wait for the regular carrier to sort it or be sent back to the processing plant because that substitute is already overworked and it isn’t worth looking for where something goes for 5 minutes.

6–postcards are the smallest things we deliver…I use a 2 bundle system to deliver, so my hand sorted stuff stands up behind my automated sort items…guess what doesn’t always get seen? yup, the postcards…they like to hide. So they get tossed back if found after I have passed that address and we try again the next day.

Filing frivolous complaints about an item not showing up on the same day as informed delivery is a sure fire way of ticking off your mail carrier and they will not be happy with you and will not bend over backwards in the future to ensure that the postcard that only has your name and part of your street address actually makes it to you. …or that birthday card that grandma wrote and only put your name and the city you live in and nothing else because she couldn’t remember it…NO. They might know who are, or who you are related to, but if you are a complainer and affect their performance ratings while complaining about things that are generally OUT OF THEIR CONTROL… nope, you will not receive that mail that is not addressed properly because it is fully in their rights to reject it for insufficient address and be done with it.

How many mistakes do you make in a day? Do you have the opportunity to literally makes thousands of mistakes in a single day? And when is the last time you came to work on 3 hours of sleep, or it was day 21 or 31 with NO DAYS OFF…NOT EVEN SUNDAY BECAUSE AMAZON MUST BE DELIVERED. Would you like your boss to be informed by at least 3 other people every time you did something like send an email and didn’t check that every word was properly spelled??..who hasn’t done that?! GIVE IT A FEW DAYS!! Carriers deliver what they receive, you complaining about it will NOT find the item…the clerk literally asks, hey did you see xyz for 12345 maple glenn, and the carrier says back…I delivered what I got, nothing was left in my car at the end of the day. and they are done with it…but your complaint goes into a nice little file that management likes to hold against the carrier, because it is held against management and affects their performance bonuses…guess who doesn’t get a performance bonus?! YUP…the people who actually do the performing! SLOW YOUR ROLL, AND READ THE EMAIL…IT CAN TAKE UP TO 7-10 DAYS TO GET YOUR MAIL.

6 Likes