Travel Report: Papua New Guinea

How long did it take to Australia? :smiley:
Hope the others will arrive soon too. Thanks for the update! It’s interesting to know.

1 Like

It took a month exactly (averaging the 4 cards) for the cards to get to Australia.

Edit: By ‘month’ I mean 28 days.

2 Likes

Greetings from Canada! Your PNG postcard has reached my mailbox today. What a lovely surprise! thank you so much, Rachelle.

Total travel time, Aug. 24, 2023 - Sep. 27, 2023, in total of 33 days. It was postmarked/routed from Queensland on Sep. 23, 2023.

4 Likes

That’s six cards so far! 4 Australia, 1 Malaysia, 1 Canada. I’ll edit this post with more details in the coming days.

1 Like

Look what just dropped through my letterbox :blush:

Yes, my postcard has arrived in the UK. There was a fabulously colourful stamp with it too:

Thank you so much Rachelle, for sharing parts of your travel with me. I really appreciate it :two_hearts:

(Incidentally, mine didn’t have a postmark on it at all.)

12 Likes

Glad to know it arrived - I’m disappointed they didn’t hand cancel the postcards like they said they would, but it’s good to hear that the postcards are finally making it to their destinations!

3 Likes

Hello Moose, here with some good news☺.

A PNG postcard to Scotland arrived last week, and yesterday October 2nd the arrival of a card to the USA was confirmed. Just for those who care about that: (sadly,) no ink was used to produce a postmark.

Eagerly waiting for other :heart: PNG mail to arrive and wishing you many more messages of pleasantly surprised postcrossers, I will keep you updated. Cheers and all things good.

3 Likes

Dear Moose, dear Eric,
here is the backside from the UNESCO card - thank you so much for it - it was a great surprise and pleasure to recieve it. And it makes me hoping to visit PNG one day and mail the card again - now thanks to your report I know where to get the cancellation :slight_smile:
Wilhelm

8 Likes

I’ve had postcards taking longer to travel from one european country to the next ! Impressive!!

1 Like

Hi Rachelle,

The PNG card has reached me. Many thanks!

2 Likes

Was it missent to Hong Kong? The ones I sent myself just arrived today after a bit of a holiday in Hong Kong. :wink:

Yep, it enjoyed a detour to HK

1 Like

I wonder why some had the detour and others didn’t - they were all sent on the same day from the same post office!

Just catching up with my cards now. As has been mentioned, earlier this week (11/22) I finally received the cards I mailed myself from PNG, nearly 3 months after they were mailed (8/24). They took a detour through Hong Kong, thanks to the information posted on every card:

They also did not feature any postal cancellations, just a faint bar code, like most others here have experienced. However, the panoramic card I sent myself, which had stamps on either corner of the card, did get hand cancellations. Not sure why this card got it and none of the others (when I asked for all of them to be hand-cancelled) but at least I know it’s possible. Perhaps the key is putting stamps in different places on the cards to ensure the hand cancellation gets done.

For any of you still waiting for your cards, perhaps they too have gone on a long holiday in Hong Kong and will show up sooner rather than later.

10 Likes

I received my first ever card from Papua New Guinea :papua_new_guinea:, and wow!! It’s just came with so many surprises!!! Thank you so much @mooseontheloose for lovely card from your trip :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it just made me so happy
It didn’t got any Postmark from PNG, but was missent to Hong Kong !!! , then it was forwarded to Australia, may be and it got Return to Sender machine cancellation. And finally reached me in India on 22 December!! :love_letter:

Wonderful journey isn’t it?

Have a nice day🥰
Ps. I love this stamp :blush:

8 Likes

Wow, your card had more adventures than all the others! :wink:

6 Likes

I’ve just stumbled upon this topic on the Forum. Thanks @mooseontheloose for the Travel report about Papua New Guinea. :papua_new_guinea: It was extremely interesting to read about your experience with the postal service and postcards there. PNG indeed is a rare country to send /receive a postcard and to travel to. I wish to learn more about this country. :raised_hands:t3::sparkles::papua_new_guinea:

4 Likes

Rachelle: I wish I had known that you would be travelling to Papua New Guinea in late-August!

1 Like

FWIW, even though I had asked the staff to hand cancel all the postcards, they didn’t (only the extra long postcard I sent myself, I guess because of the way the stamps were placed) - so most people got no cancellation, or a faint machine line cancellation, which was pretty disappointing.

3 Likes