Travel Mode ✈️ Destinations - Questions - Opinions

If that’s your concern, what about using travel mode for only 2 or 3 postcards and keeping the rest as usual (ID from your home country)? In that case, you’ll most likely still get a record of a sent ID of that rare country while minimizing the risk of disappointing someone who might be expecting a postcard from a local of a rare country.

Personally, I would be just as delighted by a ‘rare country’ postcard from a tourist in that country as I would by a local. It would make no difference to me.

12 Likes

I agree with @missmelbourne, would make no difference to me - happy to receive a card from a rare country, no matter who it is from!

4 Likes

I believe people are more concerned about the ID matching the country of the postcard than the nationality of the sender. I don’t think people care whether you are local or not. There are plenty of people living in foreign counties and participating in Postcrossing. It doesn’t matter. I am sure people will be happy to receive the postcards from you :wink:

4 Likes

In my opinion, Travel Mode’s main reason of existence is to allow tourists to send postcards with a different country ID (from their own) when they travel - I would be delighted to get such a card.

Honestly, I never would have thought to complain that the sender was not a local person.

7 Likes

I would not worry about that. This is exactly what travel mode is for.

By the way: When you send a card in travelmode, receipiant will see that he has received a card from person x from country y and country y is the one you sent you card from.

Like this:

I sent a few cards in travelmode form Luxembourgh. According to this I come from Luxembourgh when I am acutally from Germany.

1 Like

Recently, I received a postcard from Jersey from a person who had travelled to the Channel Islands from the UK. I was so excited to have received a JE and 4 digit code! :slight_smile: I have also used travel mode within Canada, the USA, UK, and Ireland, and have not received any complaints about me being a tourist (in fact, the receiver thought I lived in Ireland). :smiley: So, go ahead and send those postcards from your holidays, even if the country is a common one - it should all be done in fun, and I love going to the post offices of other countries.

5 Likes

I love to read what travelers think about the country they are in — their impressions, the highlights of their trip, a dish they discovered and loved, what the language sounds like to them, or how the country compares with the expectations or stereotypes they had before going there. They see the country differently from a native person, and I find it really interesting!

8 Likes

So, you are fine with cards sent afterwards from home, with comments about the vacation experience?

Of course! Hopefully the person had a nice trip and is enthusiastically telling me about all the cool things they enjoyed doing there. Maybe they visited a place I’ve already been to and I can share my experience with them too… or maybe they’ll talk about a place which is completely new to me which I’ll get to experience one day (or avoid it, if it wasn’t that nice!).

It would be particularly interesting if they have just visited my country — what did they especially like here, or what did they find odd? I want to know everything!

5 Likes

Thank you all for your opinions!

The reason rare countries are rare is that there are not enough locals there participating in postcrossing, so a tourist might be the only chance for someone to receive from that country! :smiley:

5 Likes

what do you think if I send Egyptian postcards, with an Egyptian ID, but from the Czech Republic? I know from experience that postcards never arrive. and I don’t want to send postcards knowing that maybe none of them will arrive.

I’m also interested in this because I have done it myself. I have sent an Estonian postcard with an Estonian ID from Finland because the first postcard never arrived. I think it’s ok.

1 Like

It also happened to me: I was transiting at Bangkok Airport, found some postcards, asked for stamps and was told at the shop I could buy stamps at the information counter. So I requested two addresses, wrote my cards and wanted to buy stamps (there were postboxes literally EVERYWHERE, like one box at every gate). When I asked for stamps at the counter, I found out they didn’t actually have any stamps, and as I didn’t want to leave the transit area and go through immigration just to visit the post office in the public area, I boarded my flight and sent the cards from Malaysia. There were no complains from the receivers :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve sent plenty of cards that I purchased at my travel destinations once I’ve gotten home. Had (I think) a few comments that weren’t so great but mostly positive. Anyway, I’m going to keep doing it – no reason to let perfectly good cards languish unsent.

4 Likes

I’m traveling in Rome and I visited Vatican City today. I changed my location to Vatican City but I was not able to draw address. I’ve tried using Wi-Fi and cellular but nothing worked.

4 Likes

There are few places where the WiFi can’t show the actual location. You may always contact the Postcrossing team and explain the situation. They are able to help. Contact us

2 Likes

@Violet Please read here from that post on :arrow_right: Travel Mode ✈️ Destinations - Questions - Opinions - #183 by Lhyz

1 Like

Were you able to draw addresses in Vatican? I went there yesterday and the system said they couldn’t recognize my IP location. I also tried with Wi-Fi in Rome but still didn’t work.