Thin postcards

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if there was a new trend in “postcards” which I would call “postpaper”. The last 4 cards I received were from Germany :neutral_face: and 2 of them where thinner than a magazine page, not even picture paper. Are these still called “postcards”?
These are much thinner than the Japanese, or zazzle type ones.

Happy Spring to everybody! :tulip:

2 Likes

I never heard if such a trend, nor do I send such “cards”. Do they at least look like being printed professionally?

Here are two rather thin, unwritten cards I have received via tags. The German writing likely means more to you than to me …

2 Likes

These are from the Youth Hostel Association. They are sold as postcards and they are sturdy and thick enough to travel without envelopes, at least as long as the notorious USPS sorting machines do not get their claws on them. Nevertheless they are quite thin, but that is not a trend.

1 Like

They are from the time of German DM-currency. As far as I remember, cards used to be thinner some decades ago. But the Youth hostel association should have acceptable quality, or those I know of them, are okay.

1 Like

The ones I am talking about are like or thinner than a regular magazine page.
There is some writing on it but half hidden by the stamp.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know these.
The “Heinz Sielman Stiftung” is a non-profit organisation for nature conservation.
And as there is the IBAN, it must be from the last few years (have forgotten, when IBAN was introduced).

1 Like

Thank you. :blush:
The picture was nice, but these paper cards really don’t do well in transit. :neutral_face:
I was just wondering why I received 2 in one week. It is sad that someone takes the time to write, and stamp the “card”, just to get ruined in transit.

1 Like

You can contact the Postcrossing admins on the main site if you feel these are not suitable as cards. It’s theoretically possible (but I imagine very rare) for someone to copy an image and print it themselves, in which case the admins will probably tell you not to register and will send a polite message to the sender. If they’re real cards but just too thin to survive the post, the admins will know how best to handle it.

I wonder if what you have is cards from a calendar — I get quite a lot of those from Germany and they are usually very thin (but I wouldn’t say thinner than a magazine page). The tops are usually perforated.

1 Like

I did register them because the persons took the time to write them. But these are definitely not “postcards”!

But who copies the backside of a card?
According to Deutsche Post a postcard must weigh between 150 and 500 gram per squaremeter, that makes between 2.3 g and 7.9 g for a postcard in format A6. So it is easy to put the card on a scale and see if it meets the rules.

1 Like

I received also one from Germany, that is like a page from a magazine, and not “sturdy” magazine. The card was torn, I couldn’t register it, but these are not good for mailing in my eyes. Mine had a bird image, didn’t look old.

@plushmail I think could you mean the calendar wherefrom cards have white frame, and text in this frame? The one that I got was thinner than that, and I think the calendar cards (Harenberg?) are similar to some “Pommegranat”, so still normalish and not worryingly thin.

1 Like