The world's northernmost postcrossing meetup in Longyearbyen, 11-13 November 2022

Hey Regndroppar :slight_smile:
Yes, you are a very early bird to ask for a meetup card from this meetup :stuck_out_tongue: I can write down your name on my list, but please contact me next year again, a bit closer to the meetup :wink:

1 Like

Hello,

I would like to attend the meet up, i will think about the travel next year :smiley:
The ID for will be : SJ (Svalbard and Jan Mayen) or NO (Norway)?

Thank you

1 Like

Nice to hear that you like to attend this meetup.

The postcards will have an SJ ID, eventhough Svalbard is part of Norway

1 Like

The IP addresses at Svalbard are Norwegian. So travel mode doesn’t work there. If people want the SJ ID instead of NO, they have to contact the postcrossing team. Please remember to contact them some days before the meetup.

4 Likes

Woww, Thank you for the infomation.

1 Like

But oh no, on the other hand, I’d love to join this meet-up as well. Because Svalbard! Please, put me on the waiting list.

1 Like

I add you to the waiting list. I am pretty sure that you will get a place in our meetup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a curious question, on which day are you planning to travel to Longyearbyen ahead of the meet-up? On Thursday or Friday?

A bonus: Svalbard obliviously uses Norwegian stamps, right?

At the moment I personally plan to travel on Friday as we set the main «event» on Saturday. But I heard that some others plan to travel earlier. As flights can’t be booked yet, this may be a subject for discussion.

Yes, Svalbard do use Norwegian stamps, but they will get a special cancellation from there :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you buy stamps at the post office they will give you a special cancellation. But if you buy the stamps in the grocery store, the post office won’t give you the special postmark. That was at least the case when I was there 3 years ago. The grocery store sold different stamps than the post office.
(Both had made custom stamps with Svalbard photos via the website of Posten. These stamps are normally more expencive, but the post office and grocery store only charged the correct postage for those stamps.)

Hi there, Zastia made me aware of this meeting, I would like to join as well. Wish you all a good time and hope to see you. Karin

1 Like

@amy666 I put you on the waiting list for this meetup :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Norway_girl I have been to Svalbard last year on a business trip and bought the stamps before I travelled and just put the postcards in a regular postbox up there and they came with the special cancellation as well :slight_smile:

Then I might have been unlucky and met a not-so-nice person behind the counter when I asked.

I would be interested :slight_smile:

I’ll put you on the waiting list @Star-Mix-1982 :slight_smile:

@ScandinavianTraveler - I’ve just found out about this meetup, what a splendid idea! :slight_smile: I’d love to join - would you please put me on the waiting list? Thanks a lot! :smiley:

1 Like

@elbe I will add you of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone else who is already too excited about this meet-up? :sweat_smile: Even if I am on the waiting list with no guaranteed spot in the meet-up and the meet-up being still over a year away? :speak_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :svalbard_and_jan_mayen:

1 Like

@Regndroppar I am! :joy: Even though I don’t have a chance to participate this meetup but it sounds so great! I know some of the participants and I’m excited for them :heart_eyes: I hope we, who must stay home, could someone follow the trip, it would be so interesting to know and see what happens there. If someone of the participants will keep a blog/vlog about the trip and the meetup, it would be wonderful! :+1: or even seeing some photos from there would be great :grin:

1 Like