The world's northernmost postcrossing meetup in Longyearbyen, 11-13 November 2022

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Norway
:pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Radisson Blu Polar Hotel
:calendar: DATE: 11-13. november 2022
:alarm_clock: TIME: 12. november, 10:00 am local time
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN:

Next year in november I will celebrate 10 years on Postcrossing and for that occasion I plan to travel north, far far north - to Longyearbyen on Svalbard. Come and join me for a postcrossing meetup. This will, probably, be the worlds northernmost postcrossing meetup.

FACEBOOK GROUP:
As the forum messages become quite long, I decided to make a fb group. If you are joining this meetup, please join the fb group: The Worlds Northernmost Postcrossing-Meetup / 11-13.11.22 in Longyearbyen | Facebook

REQUESTS FOR DIRECT SWAPS:
NB! For those who like to arrange direct swaps - please do contact us in October/ early November 2022. I think I speak for most of the contestants, that we will not answer your request at this time, as it is still a year to go to our meetup. (Update: 03.11.2021)

THE EVENT
The “main-event” will be on Saturday, November 12th 2022. I hope that we can make a short tour through Longyearbyen, buying some postcards and then having lunch at our hotel and writing postcards there. It would definitly be nice to do an organized activity as well - but please have in mind that those cost A LOT up there in the north.

I have booked a table for lunch at Radisson Blu Polar Hotel from 12.00pm to 3.00pm for having some lunch and signing postcards. There will be 3 different lunch-menues (1-course for NOK245, 2-course for NOK395 or 3-course for NOK415). Every participant has to choose one of those menues.

MEETUP CARDS
There will be 2 different meetup cards, one with houses from Longyearbyen and the other one with northern lights :wink: For those who like to have the cards in advance, I will only send them within Norway (due very high postage fees). Postcrossers from abroad will get their postcards when we meet on Svalbard (or maybe at Oslo Airport).

PARTICIPANTS
:heavy_check_mark: hotel or flight booked | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark: hotel and flight booked:

• ScandinavianTraveler (NO) +1 :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • pefawm (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • KAS (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • articgirl64 (NO) +1 :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark: | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Katrin1778 (DE) - confirmed by fb-message
  • baguetta (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • littlehobbit (DE) + 1 :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • chrisskywalker (DE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Inger71 (NO) +1 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • LeishaCamden (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • friedgold91 (GB) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Francy85 (IT) :heavy_check_mark:
  • Zastia (CH) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • cutetaiki (ID) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Regndroppar (FI) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • amy666 (CH) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • emma010704 (SE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • mihneaR (RO) +1 :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark: | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • ainu (DE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • kroete68 (DE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • nniiina (FI) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • STARSIREWERTSEN (NL) :heavy_check_mark:

NOT CONFIRMED AS OS MAY 15TH:

• Ilolilit (SE) +1
  • Ikhrtwg (DE)
  • soundstorm (NL)
  • Star-Mix-1982 (GB)
  • insp3ktor (AX)
  • mondkind (DE)
  • Kulturnerd (NO)

As per now, the participation list is full (to meet possible covid-restrictions in november).

FURTHER INFORMATION
I know that many things are unpredictable these times, but since this is a special meetup with many people interested in, we need to plan it good :wink: I therefor ask everybody on the participant list to confirm that they come or not within April 30th 2022, as the restaurant wishes information about our total amount of people early. I can however, extend the deadline a bit for a few users. Please contact me however within April 30th to let me know.

HOTEL INFORMATION:
There are in total only 95 rooms in the hotel. They also offer a sauna, outdoor jaccuzzies and a restaurant and pub. Wifi is available all over the hotel (OBS! To get a Svalbard postcrossing ID, you have to change your country to Svalbard. Travel Mode will not work, since Svalbard has a Norwegian IP address). There are both airport shuttle busses and taxis available. Those have to be booked through the hotel.

COVID-19:
Due to current situation, restrictions regarding travelling and meetings may acure. We will follow all guidelines from the authorities. At the moment there aren’t any special restrictions, but they can be re-introduced at a later point.
Please check the rules which apply for travelling to Norway from your country: Travel to Norway - regjeringen.no

MICROSOFT FORMS - ONLY FOR PARTICIPANTS!!!
All who have confirmed their participation, please have a look at those two forms, which I created to prepare our meetup - one is about some general information and food allergies and the second one is the order form for meetup-cards. In case of any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via svalbard.meetup2022@gmail.com

General information:

Meetupcard order form:

19 Likes

I like to join too. Amazing spot to visit.

3 Likes

Cool :slight_smile: I’ll add you to the list :slight_smile:

Sign me up. Will be there if at all possible. :grinning:

5 Likes

Same here, I’d like to reserve a spot :slight_smile: Dates are noted, it sounds super cool!!

2 Likes

Please sign me up. I plan to bring my husband as well. He`s not a postcrosser

3 Likes

I would love to join.

4 Likes

Sign me up. Would be great to visit Longyearbyen. Will be there if possible.

2 Likes

I will love to join

3 Likes

Wow! This meeting sounds amazing! But I can’t plan any trips yet. I will keep an eye on this topic, anyway. :wink:

2 Likes

I want to go! :smiley: Will put a note in my calendar, and book hotel and flights later. Sounds cool, great initiative!

1 Like

You can count me in too :smiley:

4 Likes

Please sign me up! What an amazing idea and I’m really looking forward to it.

3 Likes

What airline(s) fly to Longyearbyen? I will need to check how I can get there and how expensive the flight will be…

1 Like

@mikebond Both Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) and Norwegian have direct flights from Oslo to Longyearbyen - and some flights go via Tromsø. At the moment, we can’t book the flights yet. We can only book them 365 days before departure. So connections to Longyearbyen in November 2022 will be available for booking from November 2021.
Hope to see you there :star_struck:

Thank you for the information! I wish I could come but it looks like a very expensive trip, so I will need to think about it a bit…

Hopefully I’ll be able to attend.

1 Like

@mikebond I totally can understand that. I know that many want to attend, but can’t, so maybe we can figure out a possiblity to join via Zoom too. But this is something we have to decide a bit later.

It is crazy expensive. But it’s Longyearbyen! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: Hope to see you there. My saving starts now.

2 Likes

I booked a room at this hotel too now, for myself and pefawm. Thankfully it’s a little bit cheaper to share a room :upside_down_face: Now just to get the cheapest possible flight when they open for November 2022 bookings!

2 Likes