The world's northernmost postcrossing meetup in Longyearbyen, 11-13 November 2022

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Norway
:pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Radisson Blu Polar Hotel
:calendar: DATE: 11-13. november 2022
:alarm_clock: TIME: 12. november, 10:00 am local time
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN:

Next year in november I will celebrate 10 years on Postcrossing and for that occasion I plan to travel north, far far north - to Longyearbyen on Svalbard. Come and join me for a postcrossing meetup. This will, probably, be the worlds northernmost postcrossing meetup.

FACEBOOK GROUP:
As the forum messages become quite long, I decided to make a fb group. If you are joining this meetup, please join the fb group: The Worlds Northernmost Postcrossing-Meetup / 11-13.11.22 in Longyearbyen | Facebook

THE EVENT
10:00 AM: We meet in front of Radisson Blu hotel and take a walking tour through Longyearbyen and make a stop at the local shop to buy more postcards and stamps (if needed), souvenirs or snacks.

12:00 PM - 04:00 PM: We eat and write postcards at Radisson Blu hotel/ restaurant Nansen. During the meetup, the local newspaper wants to visit us. Make sure to bring flags, postcards, stamps, and all the other nice postcrossing stuff for a great picture :wink:

After 04:00 PM: We are having a walk to the local shop again to deliver our postcards :incoming_envelope:

After that, there is time for activities :wink:

MEETUP CARDS
There will be 2 different meetup cards, one with houses from Longyearbyen and the other one with northern lights :wink: For those who like to have the cards in advance, I will only send them within Norway (due very high postage fees). Postcrossers from abroad will get their postcards when we meet on Svalbard (or maybe at Oslo Airport).

PARTICIPANTS
:heavy_check_mark: hotel or flight booked | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark: hotel and flight booked:

• ScandinavianTraveler (NO) +1 :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • pefawm (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • KAS (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • articgirl64 (NO) +1 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:| :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Katrin1778 (DE) - confirmed by fb-message
  • baguetta (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • littlehobbit (DE) + 1 :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • chrisskywalker (DE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Inger71 (NO) +1 :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • LeishaCamden (NO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • friedgold91 (GB) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Zastia (CH) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • cutetaiki (ID) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Regndroppar (FI) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • amy666 (CH) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • emma010704 (SE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • mihneaR (RO) + Bluriel (RO) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark: | :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • ainu (DE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • kroete68 (DE) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • nniiina (FI) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • Minttuinkeri (FI) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:
  • tpuchalski (US) :heavy_check_mark::heavy_check_mark:

As per now, the participation list is full (to meet possible covid-restrictions in november).

HOTEL INFORMATION:
There are in total only 95 rooms in the hotel. They also offer a sauna, outdoor jaccuzzies and a restaurant and pub. Wifi is available all over the hotel. There are both airport shuttle busses and taxis available. Those have to be booked through the hotel.

21 Likes

I like to join too. Amazing spot to visit.

3 Likes

Cool :slight_smile: I’ll add you to the list :slight_smile:

Sign me up. Will be there if at all possible. :grinning:

5 Likes

Same here, I’d like to reserve a spot :slight_smile: Dates are noted, it sounds super cool!!

2 Likes

Please sign me up. I plan to bring my husband as well. He`s not a postcrosser

3 Likes

I would love to join.

4 Likes

Sign me up. Would be great to visit Longyearbyen. Will be there if possible.

2 Likes

I will love to join

3 Likes

Wow! This meeting sounds amazing! But I can’t plan any trips yet. I will keep an eye on this topic, anyway. :wink:

2 Likes

I want to go! :smiley: Will put a note in my calendar, and book hotel and flights later. Sounds cool, great initiative!

1 Like

You can count me in too :smiley:

4 Likes

Please sign me up! What an amazing idea and I’m really looking forward to it.

3 Likes

What airline(s) fly to Longyearbyen? I will need to check how I can get there and how expensive the flight will be…

1 Like

@mikebond Both Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) and Norwegian have direct flights from Oslo to Longyearbyen - and some flights go via Tromsø. At the moment, we can’t book the flights yet. We can only book them 365 days before departure. So connections to Longyearbyen in November 2022 will be available for booking from November 2021.
Hope to see you there :star_struck:

Thank you for the information! I wish I could come but it looks like a very expensive trip, so I will need to think about it a bit…

Hopefully I’ll be able to attend.

1 Like

@mikebond I totally can understand that. I know that many want to attend, but can’t, so maybe we can figure out a possiblity to join via Zoom too. But this is something we have to decide a bit later.

It is crazy expensive. But it’s Longyearbyen! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: Hope to see you there. My saving starts now.

2 Likes

I booked a room at this hotel too now, for myself and pefawm. Thankfully it’s a little bit cheaper to share a room :upside_down_face: Now just to get the cheapest possible flight when they open for November 2022 bookings!

2 Likes