The Oldest Postcard Ever Sent and Received in Postcrossing?

Thursday, November 12, 2020 - 21:10 (UTC -5)

Hello, Everyone:

Here’s another “Small World” old postcard moment…

For your consideration, this is Page 17 of the Bucks County Herald’s July 9, 2020, edition. (Be patient. The page takes a little bit of time to load because it’s far away (the U.K.) and graphics-intensive.)

The page is “live”, that is, you can mouse all over it and scroll through the postcards.

Of specific interest on this web page is “Doylestown Train Station, back” found in Row 3, Column 2. Note the “Litho-Chrome” logo and the letters “A”, “N”, “C” in the leaves of the three-part shamrocks and the “N” and “Y” to either side of the shamrocks’ stems. “ANCNY” stands for “American News Company of New York”.

Where have we seen this before? Above in this Topic!

The “Doylestown Train Station” postcard (“Order No. 11740” shown under the “Litho-Chrome” logo) is a “first cousin” of Postcard US-6769003 (ANCNY ID# A-11703).

Check out the card in the article entitled “Delaware Bridge, Frenchtown, N.J.”. The view is from New Jersey over to Pennsylvania across the Delaware River. The whole bridge is now metal without any of the wooden covering shown in the postcard’s photo. See here =>

I didn’t plan it this way, but as I recently crossed the 500 Cards Sent milestone here in Postcrossing (On Reaching 500 Sent Today), I see that about twenty per cent of my Sent cards are of people and places in and around Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and Hunterdon County, New Jersey (where I live), and their immediately adjacent counties. The Delaware Valley is just lovely, dotted with historic and picturesque river towns, parks, and nature preserves. I’ve enjoyed being in and around all the places shown in this Bucks County Herald article and my own Sent cards for over forty years. It’s great to be able to share where you’re at through Postcrossing.

M

1 Like