Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

I think suspending temporarily is a good move. Hopefully, it will be brief and will allow for the “log jam” of delayed postcards to catch up. My experience does reflect the percentages reported. Thank you for advising on the situation.

19 Likes

I don’t mind that my cards from and to China take longer in the RR’s I participate in. It just caught my attention that I haven’t received anything from China for a long time. I’m sure they will arrive one day.
I can see why it’s an issue on the official site though, especially newer members who can’t request many addresses will be stuck on sending cards while they are travelling to China for months.

55 Likes

When I only started postcrossing I was often saddened by the fact that cards from Russia take so long to arrive compared to some countries. It felt like we are in the whole different world. The card to Taiwan would travel for 170 days, 80 days to Finland, 60 days to the USA and so on. I used to be happy to get German addresses because cards to Germany were the fastest to arrive. It took me ages to get to a hundred “sent” cards. But when those cards finally arrived I was always so happy. Especially during the first year of lockdowns. Is the ban really necessary? It would add to the feeling of isolation, as someone already mentioned above.

98 Likes

How about making it possible to send to China outside the sendable frame?

15 Likes

It’s a shame, China is one of my favourite countries to write too, but understand the reason why the team have done this.

For me this year, I have eight postcards travelling to China, three officials (Oct 21, Feb 22 & Apr 22) one direct swap and four tag postcards, none have been recieved by the recipients.

The above include some rare maxicards, which disheartened me that they are taking so long to arrive.

I remember the days when post to China would be delivered in three weeks.

I am recieveing postcards from China in three to six weeks at the moment.

Hong Kong & Taiwan are back to being pretty quick again.

24 Likes

Because China Post is responsible to the people, it will carefully disinfect the incoming letters, including standing, spraying disinfectant water, etc., which will be a little later than a few years ago before the epidemic, so is this the mistake of China Post and Chinese players? Directly choose to suspend shipping in China?

49 Likes

This is a tough call but I will say that of my 8 expired cards, 6 are to China and 2 are to Russia. Right now, Canada is officially not sending to Russia so that is likely why those have gone unreceived. Is there a backlog of mail in China? I’m hoping some of mine will still be received. I wonder if other postal administrations are disinfecting mail? I thought it was disproven that paper can carry COVID but I could be wrong.

20 Likes

Because China Post is responsible to the people, it will carefully disinfect the incoming letters, including standing in one place, spraying disinfectant water, etc., which will make the travel time longer than the pre-epidemic letters a few years ago, so is this the mistake of China Post and Chinese players? Directly choose to suspend sending letters to China? I don’t think it’s fair.

27 Likes

I understand why this decision is made, it is frustrating to have cards taking so long when it’s part of your sent count. It’s no fun to have to wait so long before being able to send or receive more cards. I wanted to ask the same things as @MAKIKO-S did above.

Rather than completely suspend sent cards to them, can it just not count as our sent quota? Or can you give users the option to opt in/out of sending cards to China? I think there are still users willing to send to China even if it takes a long time for the card to arrive.

44 Likes

I am disappointed and disapprove of this decision. We are also making efforts to send postcards. Many fans even spend more money on similar express to ensure the safe arrival of postcards. Although it is true that the postal service has slowed down due to the epidemic, it can still be received and is gradually improving.:cry:

34 Likes

So only 5% of all our cards to China make it in 60 days. That is for every 1 registered postcard there are 19 expired!!

Amazing! My statistics almost the same. 10 expired and 4 travelling 50-60 days.

I decided earlier not to request any address until some expired are registered or fall off my list.

Is there a topic, maybe in English?, about Chineese postcrossers complaining to China Post?

If my cards are desinfected the ink will run. My Chineese characters are written with a non water resistant fineliner. How can I complain to China Post?

7 Likes

I don’t think this decision is correct, and I know what it’s like to see so many postcards sent to China expire or disappear. But the reality is that it’s not just people in other countries who are upset, and Chinese netizens are also upset.

As @Ryuuen replies above, such a decision will only reinforce the negative feelings of Chinese netizens, so I think it is unwise.

I believe that all Postcrossing users love the platform, but a decision made without extensive discussion among the victims has resulted in a massive departure from the market. That’s a huge loss for anyone.

Therefore, I sincerely request the administrator to consider whether the loss is worth it seriously. :smiling_face_with_tear:

71 Likes

:broken_heart: :pleading_face: :sob:

I cannot speak for the admins, or justify their decision, but I hope you know that many of us (as you can see in the comments here!) truly enjoy sending postcards to China, and we are also disappointed about the suspension, regardless of the reason. :pensive:

Although I’m just a regular Postcrosser and have no other knowledge about how this decision was made, it seems that the rationale for the suspension is practical, rather than personal or political. I don’t think the admins wish to exclude anyone, if possible. Chinese users are such an important part of the community; I assume this was not an easy choice, and bound to be an unpopular one.

My cards/letters/packages to China have always taken a little more time to arrive, sure—but to me, it only increases the joy of receiving the Hurray! message. And I can imagine the frustration of Chinese Postcrossers upon hearing this news. For everyone’s sake, I hope that the suspension is as brief as possible.

I completely understand why people are upset about this. But, I ask selfishly: please, please don’t be so discouraged that you leave the community! :pleading_face: Postcrossing would not be the same without our Chinese friends! Forum activities and direct swaps are still open to China, I assume, so there’s still a way to receive cards in the meantime!

Hugs to you all; I hope this won’t last long. :heart:

Editing to add: I like the suggestion by @MAKIKO-S to extend the time frame temporarily. Yes, people would still wait longer for their cards to arrive, but fewer would be officially “expired,” for those who keep track.

63 Likes

China Post disinfects postcards with ultraviolet light, not with liquids like alcohol. And none of the postcards I received were stained with liquid.

59 Likes

Thank you! That is then the good news.

I hope ALL mail will be delivered as soon as possible. I wish all postcrossers in China keep on sending postcards - keep on going!

6 Likes

Can Chinese postcrossers still send postcards within their own country?

7 Likes
  As a Chinese user, I do admit that the delivery time of postcards in China was affected by the epidemic prevention policy in March and May this year, but it has gradually improved and recovered. I haven't received postcards in my mailbox for a month in May, although these cards have arrived in my city (registered postcards), affected by the disinfection policy, I guess that the postcards that arrived in China in early May will take at least 45 days to reach me Mailbox (the policy of my city and the time estimate obtained from consultation with China Post).
 However, the situation has improved, and the time required by relevant departments for disinfection policies has been greatly shortened. I got a lot of postcards in June.

The following is my postal route reference (the route is direct swap and official postcards)
June 3 (Sri Lanka registered postcard) (sent in March)
June 7 ( Djibouti Postcard) (Sent in February)
June 8 (registered postcard from Uzbekistan) (Sent in April)
June 10 (Malaysia Postcard/Taiwan Postcard ) (Sent in April)
June 12 (registered postcard from Djibouti) (Sent in April)
(Italian postcard) (Sent in April)
(Portuguese postcard) (Sent in March)
( Burundi Postcard) (Sent in March)
(Tanzania Postcard) (Sent in April)
June 16 (Japanese postcard) (Sent in April)
(Turkish postcard) (Sent in March)
(Austria postcard) (Sent in April)
(Monaco postcard) (Sent in April)

China’s postal routes are improving, I don’t think it is a wise choice to stop drawing Chinese addresses, it will hurt the enthusiasm of many Chinese postcard lovers.

27 Likes

Why not, my mailbox always has new postcards.

4 Likes

I think so. But Chinese users can only send postcards to Chinese users, and I believe Chinese users will lose most of the fun.

7 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind words. I will by no means leave postcrossing. This hobby makes me happy! :heart:

34 Likes