Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

So are you suggesting like this:
I send a card, and if it’s not registered after 60 days, I get new address.
Card doesn’t show as expired to me, but travelling.
After 90 days it shows expired.

What would be the benefit of this?

19 Likes

I just like sending.not like receiving

2 Likes

Thank you for your post. It is very well said!

I agree that many responses were made from a position of emotion, not fact. From reading the posts above, it appears China isn’t the only country that has been suspended at Postcrossing.

To accuse the admin of being guilty of anything inappropriate is showing one’s ignorance. As grateful participants of this amazing free resource to connect with the world through postcards, we must practice due diligence: study and learn the facts before making untrue accusations.

Thank you again for your positive and helpful comments.

12 Likes

@Luoji You wrote that “there should be no technical difficulties” to change the system of traveling / sent / expired that I described above. Your profile says that you’ve studied history. Are you a programmer too? If no, I wonder how you feel entitled to state such a thing.

Please read the topic, especially the posts of the Admin. The goal is not to speed up China Post, the goal is to prevent more postcards being stuck in China, by not giving out Chinese addresses for some time!

11 Likes

For the postcards assigned to China in April and May 2022 (right before the suspension), what is the current registration rate?

What if the majority of those postcards don’t make it by end June 2023 and get deleted from the database? Automatic reopening in this extreme case?

1 Like

Unfortunately there isn’t yet much progress to tell about, but I want to give an update on how things are going.

I have spent some time graphing the average travel times of mail to China, as well as the amount of postcards delivered. This is how things look at the moment (click for bigger):

The breakdown is per week. I’ve included the whole 2021 for comparison.

As is visible, the average travel times are going up considerably, and are at almost 4 months now — this is about twice the usual average travel times of postcards to China which usually are already very long. On the week we suspended Chinese addresses, the average travel times peaked at 124 days and last week the average was 110 days.

Right now, for postcards sent 60 days ago (from today), only 7.5% have been registered. For those sent 90 days ago, only 33% have arrived. And even looking as far as 120 days ago, only about half (53%) have been delivered — this means that the other half of those is still traveling and will arrive with even longer travel times than 120 days.

As the situation is not improving yet and tens of thousands of postcards are still waiting to be delivered, in the next few days we will put a notice on the website visible to members in China about this situation.

Lastly, for the curious, the spike on the number of postcards registered (blue line in the chart) is likely the period just after the Lunar New Year celebration.

We’ll continue to monitor the situation and we hope things will start to improve soon.

This topic had obviously a lot of attention from members in China, so I want to use the opportunity to leave a request to them: while this topic is about mail to China, we also have a problem regarding mail sent from China and you can help!

Until recently, China Post published the list of destinations they are unable to send mail to on this page which we have been using to update the Postal Monitor so that addresses in those destinations are not selected for postcrossers in China. However, recently that page was down for a while, and now that it is back up it only has the information about EMS which doesn’t apply to postcards. As it stands right now, we no longer have an official source for the list of destinations that can’t be mailed to from China, so we’ll soon have to remove all the existing outgoing suspensions for China from the Postal Monitor as they may no longer be correct and we no longer have a way to keep them up to date.

How can you help? Contact China Post and ask them to publish again the list of unavailable destinations for letter-post items (eg: postcards). Perhaps if enough people ask for it, they will publish the list again. The vast majority of postal operators from the most active countries in Postcrossing have such information public and that’s very useful to prevent postcards from going to destinations that can’t be reached.

68 Likes

While I have still cards travelling from / to China sent in March and April, I recently got a card from China that travelled less than 10 days. I think that’s the fastest card ever I got from China.
I really wonder where all these cards (and all other postal items) are stored :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I just wondered if maybe postcards to China could get an extrnded time before they expire?
We could still send them and I for one would be ok for it to travel 120 days, if it didnt expire in the meantime.

1 Like

This has been suggested before, but there’s no advantage to making people wait longer to have their postcards’ expire — it only increases frustration, especially in newer members who have to wait for a long(er) time in order to send another postcard. Postcards can be registered as normal even after they expire.

27 Likes

Sorry to repeat what was said already, I admit not going through all the topic.

They store them at transfer center or delivery department😭

1 Like

Just so I am clear: the red line is travel days (average) and the blue line is postcards registered per week? Therefore, the difficulty began as early as last November, becoming truly notable as at March of this year.
The data suggests there is not yet a clear correction in sight.
While we are all disappointed at this complex situation, it occurs to me that, once the bottleneck clears, there will be lots of happy mail making its way to many of us. A future event to celebrate!

9 Likes

The answer lies with China Post’s approach: are they working on this backlog, or continuing to ignore it?

1 Like

This is correct. The graph is a little confusing because most graphs don’t plot values in 2 different scales, but it’s the easiest way to put all the information in a single image. :sweat_smile: The average travel times are shown in red (scale is on the left) and number of postcards registered per week in blue (scale is on the right).

5 Likes

I asked the website of China Post and its WeChat official account. The answers are that they CANNOT give me the answers online.:sweat_smile:
And I Submitted a complaint about this question to the State Post Bureau of China. When there is a reply I will post it here.
I may make a call to China Post tomorrow. But I don’t know when do the officers work really. They are usually resting all day…
So don’t have too much hope for these.

28 Likes

I have been with Postcrossing since April 2020. In that time, I have sent four postcards to China. Sadly, only one arrived. My latest postcard sent there has been traveling for more than 300 days.

Earlier this year, I did receive a postcard from China. It traveled about 240 days to get to me. It was so exciting to write to the sender to let her know that her postcard had finally arrived.

This is a difficult decision. I will hope for a speedy resolution.

2 Likes

The reply from callback: China Post, at least the branch in Guangdong, have no information about destinations they are unable to send mail to. The operator also deny the previous information on Postal Monitor. “There is some unavailability of Surface Mails to some countries, but there isn’t a list of unavailable at all (either by Surface Mails or Par Avion) destinations for postcards and ordinary letters.”
I wonder what was the page with related information looks like. Is there a screenshot?
But I think the situation is that they don’t have a clear list, so they accept every postcard and keep them until the route is available. If the route is still unavailable, the cards will be kept for years. We don’t have much right to know.:person_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

That’s a tricky situation. I am afraid many cards will expire, causing so much loss to Chinese members.

4 Likes

This is sad to read, as the frustration of lack of communication comes through.
I realize that I should not speak for everyone, but I take the risk here: we are all hopeful that mail difficulties - in all countries - resolve soon so that postcard love moves through the system with speed and efficiency.
This week, I received two cards that traveled a long time from China. One sent in October and another sent in January.
Their arrival reminded me of the magic of the movement of small pieces of paper around the world. They arrive. Eventually. And in that magic, there is this feeling for me: the longer the wait, the more joyful they are to receive.
And I am grateful for all that Postcrossing does to facilitate this joy for each of us. :purple_heart:

17 Likes

I know within this week that six people have received the postcards I sent (including three envelopes and three postcards). I received five postcards and one envelope from foreign countries. Some of the envelopes even arrived in less than 20 days a month, so I think that with the improvement of the epidemic, the number of postal staff will naturally become faster, so when will China’s postal road be unblocked?

6 Likes