Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

I am a Chinese girl - I just participated in Postcrossing for a week. I admit that China Post is very slow in receiving and sending foreign postcards. Maybe there is a postal problem On the website, I negotiated the English version of the Chinese address, and I was afraid that I could not receive the postcards. I just want to show that I am really serious, sincere and careful in sending postcards, and I hope that my recipients can receive my postcards At the same time, I also want to receive postcards from all over the world, I like to see a different world, I like to see different scenery and different culture, especially in the case that I can not travel abroad, I feel connected with the world, I hope Paul can restore China’s mail route as soon as possible, so that Chinese people can play post Crossing, I hope my mailbox will be filled with postcards. I also have a small request. If China’s mail route is restored, can the number of postcards sent by Chinese players be sent by foreigners in the days when the lottery is not allowed for Chinese players? thank you

11 Likes

Sad to hear this. As a new PC user, I gotta admit that how “lucky” I am.:roll_eyes: But what’s even more interesting is that you don’t even give other users a choice. Why can’t you set up an option to let people choose whether they want to send postcards to mainland China? That shouldn’t be too hard to do, right? :sweat_smile:

For mainland Chinese users, the message is surely like "I give a lot, but there is no chance of return.":sleepy: It’s disappointing.:sweat:

3 Likes

You WILL get cards in return for the ones that you send - but as the Postcrossing team has explained , very few cards to China are currently being delivered. When China Post delivers all these expired cards, things will go back to normal, hopefully soon.

13 Likes

It is disappointing that users aren’t bothering to actually read the thread before jumping in. I know it’s long but they wouldn’t have to read very far before this questions and assumptions that keep coming up over and over would be dealt with. It’s one thing to express an opinion as part of a conversation. It’s another to just say whatever with seemingly no idea or care that it has already been explored in detail.

33 Likes

Yep, I can understand how frustrating it can be for many users not to know if the recipient has received their postcards. But I think postcrossing, being such a mature platform, can give people more choices.
I think pc could have an option for users to choose whether they want to send postcards to Mainland China, rather than blocking mainland Chinese addresses altogether. I think that’s a lot less controversial for the PC as well. Of course, this is just my suggestion.:heart:

1 Like

You’re new to Postcrossing, therefore you probably don’t know that it has been discussed multiple times, in this forum (and in the legacy one) if users should be able to exclude certain countries from sending cards. Mostly the wish was to exclude big Postcrossing countries like Germany, because some users wanted to get more variety instead of sending 20-30% of their cards to the same country.

It has always been the conclusion and decision of the admins to not let users choose to which country they want to send, because a) it’s against the spirit of Postcrossing, and because b) it would destabilise the algorithm.

That’s why the admins can’t open this door now, even temporarily - because immediately there would be demands to do this concerning other countries too.

35 Likes

I do not not know if many Postcrossers are frustrated by not knowing if their cards have arrived, but that is not the reason the decision was made. I can imagine that some Postcrossers are upset because their accounts have been suspended due to the fact that many of their cards to China have expired - if you are a dedicated long-term member it must be like a “kick in the teeth” to have your account red-flagged for reasons beyond your control. The actual reasons for the decision have already been well discussed here for anyone who cares to read them.

8 Likes

Thank you for your patient and detailed explanation.:blush: After reading your message, I can understand why the admins can’t open this door now, even temporarily. If they do that, some users will ask them to set up a similar option to let people choose whether they want to send to some big postcrossing countries like Germany, which will lead to a vicious circle. It will be unfair to users in big postcrossing countries. BTW, I love the Siamese cat in your avatar because the Siamese cat still looks so white.:joy:

2 Likes

That’s what I wanna express actually.Due to my lack of vocabulary, I used another euphemistic expression, which may have caused some misunderstanding. I am very sorry for that.

What I wanted to know was why the PC couldn’t have an option for users to decide if they want to send their postcards to mainland China. But after reading Cassisia’s comment, I understood.

I am also a long-term member. I also hope that China Post can speed up the delivery. After all, it has been three months since my aunt sent me the CD album in America But it has not been delivered yet. China Post recently said it will speed things up further starting June 28, so let’s see if it improves.

6 Likes

Oh so sad :disappointed:
Hope the global situation of covid will be better soon. I’m sick of this nasty virus. I sent my support to chinese friends.

For my part, I received recently, my swaps exchanges of this winter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (you have to deserve your postcards :rofl:).
The postcards took between 4 to 6 months to arrive on average. But that’s also the “magic” of Postcrossing. I am very happy to have finally been able to receive these postcards.

7 Likes

I absolutely love my China​:cn::cn:. I am fully aware that I have to take responsibility for everything I say, but I need to be objective: As a native Chinese, I can accept and understand the official response to China’s post-cross measures, because I have received fewer and fewer postcards in the past four months, and the gap between my receipt and mailing has widened. This phenomenon is more than one case, so I think there must be something wrong with it. Like the intersection of traffic, there will always be traffic congestion, this time the need to stop the traffic, and then to clear the jam, it may be solved. But it would still be hard to solve the problem if you didn’t ban cars from driving while you were unblocking the jam, wouldn’t it. In the same way, I respect the official decision, I believe that the management is rational and fair. Most important of all,we are looking forward to the early resumption of China’s receipt problem.:mailbox_with_mail::mailbox_with_mail:

47 Likes

Very well said. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I appreciate all the hard work of the administrators to help make this an enjoyable experience. I have been a volunteer in the past for many organizations and have put in many hours of hard work for the benefit of others. Volunteers seldom get a lot of thanks for all their hard work. I also know that you can’t please everyone. One of the important things that we can do is support and appreciate our administrators. Without them, Postcrossings could disappear. Most of us who think we could do better, would get a big surprise. It’s not as easy as one might think. Do we want to continue having Postcrossing in the future? If so, we need to be supportive, even if we don’t completely agree with the decisions.

17 Likes

I was never much concerned about long transits to/from China, though I have wondered why postcard mail to/from China, Russia, and some other nations can take so long. Where is the bottleneck thought to be? Does anyone know why cards take so long to/from some nations?

My first recommendation is that new China addresses be suspended only for new postcrossers, those who can send less than 10 cards at a time. For new postcrossers, it could be depressing if they have all of their cards expire before they are registered.

Another recommendation is to reduce the expiration time for China to perhaps 30-40 days. This would allow new postcrossers to be able to receive and send more cards while they wait what may be many months before their China cards are registered,

2 Likes

I know it all was discussed before (I read all posts of this topic),
but I still miss a clear statement:

It’s not of help if the rules about expiring are changed, if you a re a sender with a very low budget for PC.
To lose cards is not only frustrating because you don’t get cards back, or because of statistics or anything.
It’s also that if you are not able to spend more money, it’s double frustrating to lose cards.
So that’s were I am at (And I come from a rather rich country, with relatively low costs per card/stamps.
Nonetheless my personal limit is not the slots, but my budget.
That’s why I’m fully with the current solution.

And by the way, it’s also why I would fully accept the same for my country, in case there should occurr a similar/significant delay in receiving cards. If that would be the case I would see if there was anything I could do to be part of the solution, like restricitng myself with sending or asking on my profile that senders with expired cards should contact me (if I received cards with the number missing for any reason), or go to inactive status for a few days and so on.

What I still didn’t fully get: Is it still possible for Chinese postcrossers to send/receive inside their own country?

4 Likes

We could receive and send in our country normally.It just takes 1-2 days.
Now many Chinese people start receiving cards from other countries,even though the cards were sent two months ago.But it still shows bad situation is getting better.Just wait patiently😊

5 Likes

If you go back and read the thread, you will find the answer to your questions repeated there many times. You don’t even have to read the whole thing, really. Pretty quickly you will find this has all been addressed.

5 Likes

Thank you, I don’t have the time to sift through 300+ posts, so if you can point me to the specific replies, that would be helpful.

3 Likes

Feel so sad to watch this news. As a Chinese user, postcards # send by me is more than received. We don’t give up sending postcards due to Covid although some places were lockdown in the past months. Now covid situation is better in CN and China post goes smoothly since most of the postcards I sent can be received in the past half a year.

Maybe it is slower but it is not missing thoroughly, that’s why postcrossing should not deprive our right to receive postcards. I cannot understand the decision to exclude CN users just because of the slow speed. It’s not fair. We have the equal right to enjoy the fun of postcrossing. We also made lots of contribution in the past and brought happiness and surprise to people in different countries and many of them like Chinese culture and are interested in Chinese life.

Please think twice and withdraw mail suspension to CN.

3 Likes

“Although it is very slow, it can be reached. I received an international postcard a few days ago.”

Your received chart shows that cards take 3-5 months to reach your mailbox. Thats a really long time, but you can still do private swaps, tags etc if the sender is ok with slower mail service. The official pause is just temporary.

5 Likes

It took my postcard to China over 2 and a half months to arrive. ~ Gail

1 Like