[TALK] In ENGLISH - Visitors Corner

Hi @Walking_Bun, at the Postcrossing Meetup on the 7th of October there will be a special stamp for the presentation of the stamp. The image hasn’t been published yet, though. It will be in the upcoming “Stempel and Infomationen” brochure by Deutsche Post. (Zeitschrift Stempel und Informationen | Shop Deutsche Post)

The first day stamp can be seen in a previous issue of the “Stempel und Informationen” on page 6:

On page 20 you can see the addresses where to send your mail if you want that stamp.

Also for the meetup on the 6th of october all cards that will be mailed from there will get that first issue stamp:

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information! I will sit and study everything carefully. I don’t know German or English yet, so I’m embarrassed to come to the postcrosser meeting :slight_smile: I can take my husband with me, he speaks English, but I don’t know if it’s appropriate. Is it possible to come to the meeting on October 7th just to put a special cancellation of the first day?
In Russia, you can come to the main post office and put the special cancellation of the first day on a postage stamp yourself. I thought maybe there is something similar in Germany :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, the museum is open to everyone, right? :wink:

We can only get them by sending to one of the two cancellation (Weiden or Berlin) offices mostly. They will forward the mail after cancelling then.

Quite a few Postcrossers bring their significant other or their kids to meetups. Most often it’s no problem at all.

1 Like

Don’t worry - just come.
As far as I know there’ll be at least one person who speaks Russian, too.

The meetup is behind the museum entry, so you’d need to pay the entry fee.

Hello all! I would like to assist (still as tentative though) wet should I sign up for my participation? Thank you!

Would you like to participate in the meetup? Please visit this topic for more information:

1 Like

Hallo,
I’m trying my hand at writing a message in German (I learned the language many moons ago), and I’m not sure what is the appropriate level of formality in Postcrossing. Do you typically write “Hallo (name)” or “Liebe(r) (name)” or something else? What about using “Gruess Gott” (sorry I don’t have a German keyboard) or Servus if the person is in Bavaria/Southern Germany/Austria? Do you use “du” or “Sie”? Is there a faux pas to be committed there?
Vielen Dank :slight_smile:

For Postcrossing Postcards I rarely receive a card where “Sie” is being used. So writing “Du” is very agreeable as it seems.

For the greeting: Just chose what you feel most comfortable with. I usually use “Hallo”.

2 Likes

I agree with Reisegern. I use the informal du for all my postcards. As a greeting I mostly use Hallo [name], Hi [name] or Moin [name] (Moin is a greeting in Northern Germany).

1 Like

I always write “Hallo” + first name and Du. I think that is the most common way in Internet things like Postcrossing!

2 Likes

I also use always “du” instead of formal “Sie” in postcrossing. I sometimes write “liebe”, if I have somehow a connected feeling by reading the profile, otherwise I write “hallo”. If I write to forum members I have more often contact I often write “liebe”.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! Some years ago, I believe Deutsche Post had 2 shops where you could buy stamps — one more practical, and one more focused on philately, if I remember correctly… Have these 2 merged together in the meantime? Or did I perhaps dream it? :thinking: I can only find the https://shop.deutschepost.de/ now.

Yes, they have been merged. There’s only the one online shop left that you’ve already found.

2 Likes

I see… thank you! :pray:

For more special orders there’s only the option to order them directly in Weiden by phone (they were responsible for the old philately shop, just as they are for the “new” shop. But it’s still possible to order other stamps or in different varieties than are shown in the online shop nowadays).

I wanted to include a link on the blog post I’m writing for Thursday (the launch date), for people who want to buy the stamp from abroad… but I guess it’ll only be posted there on the day itself?

Ah, I see. It will most likely show up in the next few days. Mostly it’s 2-3 days ahead of the release date. But the online shop cannot be used by people from abroad. They only send within Germany.

Stamp orders from abroad may only be done by phone and delivery costs are quite pricey.

grafik

1 Like

Oh no, that is not very practical… and rather surprising that this is how it works for orders from abroad. :frowning: I guess postcrossers will have better luck getting the stamp by arranging swaps with other postcrossers.

1 Like

I think so, too. I always advise it this way when I’m asked by Postcrossers from abroad.

Germany and digitalisation is… well… :see_no_evil:

A little addition: If the mentioned number is occupied you can also dial 0961 38183900.

It happened to me last week when I ordered the Postcrossing stamp. It took me about an hour without any success (“Unsere Mitarbeiter sind derzeit alle im Gespräch, bitten versuchen Sie es zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt erneut”…) I used the other number which I was given some time ago from an employee at Deutsche Post Weiden.

2 Likes