Taking Pictures / Scanning and Uploading of received and sent cards

I will always be off by one card, as there are a few members who have a policy of deleting all scanned images for a zero-content received wall.

I upload a picture before sending because it’s my way of tracking which ones are travelling and which I haven’t written yet. If a picture is missing when I receive it then I will add it, but it can take a while.

3 Likes

@TrvlCat - of course it’s not too late! Most Postcrossers keep EVERY card they receive! And, the receiver can upload the photo whenever they want. So, it’s definitely worth asking in a message!

2 Likes

Sometimes the card can disappear later too, if some other member thinks it’s not proper.
Few days ago one of my long time ago sent card was removed (it was a “nude”, but in style of Leonardo Da Vinci’s Vitruvian man, normal man, holding violins, taken from distance, so I think someone looked at it closely and didn’t like it. Then it’s removed by Postcrossing team.)

Maybe in such topics one could put some page flap on risky areas :laughing: I remember the receiver asked should they cover something before scanning, and then, oh, you scanned it like that - for me that was a natural human male, so I didn’t even think hiding anything.

But yes, receiver can remove the photo (good, as sometimes my address has been scanned too, in attempt to share the stamps), but also the Postcrossing team.

3 Likes

I did not know about that :astonished: Is it enough that one person reports a picture as offensive and then it is removed? Where is the line drawn? I’ve seen full nudes in people’s galleries before, photos that definitely were NOT “sciency” like the picture you describe. Are there guidelines somewhere about what can be shown on a wall and what not?

There is many topics about this, and that it’s hard to decide what is ok sometimes.
I think the team makes the ultimate decision, and I’m ok with that. And I think if one complains, they will look, I think it’s good, so many cards, it would not be reasonable to wait many complaints.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for linking that topic!

This is an issue with tarot readers on YouTube because the traditional deck (Rider Waite) has a few cards with nudity.

2 Likes

Lately, I haven’t been taking pictures of my sent postcards, life is happening and I’m happy that I’m continuing postcrossing but my life is crazy. Enough said.

me, when I send a card I never scan it, because I like to see how the trip could have altered them. but I always go to see the person’s profile to see if they also scan the cards because if they don’t I put an ugly card on them.

1 Like

It’s an interesting observation. I cannot tell if it changed here lately. Maybe the amount of cards I receive is too low for that? Some do take a picture others don’t. I noticed no change so far. So it’s interesting too see if you were just “unlucky” or if others share your observation.
:slight_smile:

And the other way around: I was surprised when I saw last year that the percentage of images increased in the statistics. Well, it doesn’t tell actually who uploaded the picture, but it made me smile that others like to have and to look through the pictures, too.

I don’t upload my cards - send or recieved - because I don’t own a usual scanner, and as far as I know the images are stored on AWS which is not a service I’d like to support. And I’m not so sure that the artists (card creators) necessarily enjoy it when their image is uploaded to some internet service.
That being said, if the other party uploads the image I do nothing against it. I might have removed one or two images, but that were cards with e.g. a hateful quote on the front side that I didn’t want on my wall.

What??
Did it ever come to your mind that some people are simply not able to scan / take pictures?

15 Likes

I’m a bit old school with my desktop PC and flatbed scanner so making and saving an image of cards is pretty easy for me and I upload as a convenience to my receivers.

1 Like

I scan all my cards ~ the ones I send & those I receive, and do both front & back. I call them “obverse” and “reverse”, to borrow from numismatics. I started doing it because I wanted to be able to look back at what I wrote to this or that recipient, and it expanded from there to include even received cards. When I create a card I upload my scanned image of it.
The cards themselves I keep in a neat album from Leuchtturm (German company), so half the scanning I do is superfluous, but hey, it’s just for fun anyway, right?

3 Likes

I’m new too. I’ve received 3 and sent 5 (3 have arrived) Love it. Maybe you can help me with a question.
Am I suppose to take a photo of the front of the postcard before sending? On my list of cards received by others I only see a picture of one of my cards??
Thank you!
Patricia aka sanddunebunny

2 Likes

No. That is up to you. But it is a nice reminder to what the card looked like, when you get the registration message.

I always do and add it to the traveling cards page so it appears on my wall once it’s registered. I also take a picture of the written side, otherwise I’d have forgotten what I’d written by the time the Hurray message arrives x

1 Like

Do I have to have a scanner to upload pictures? I’ve tried choosing a picture and uploading it, but it doesn’t upload the picture just a bunch of words: img:/123 etc.

I use my phone to take a picture, then upload my phone’s picture

2 Likes