Suggest limiting posts to one per person (apart from OP) in the lotteries section

I didn’t see the flip-out, but I was in the wrong place. It’s working. Thank you.

1 Like

I just want to point out that some members intentionally host lotteries that involve some back and forth discussion - for example, @DaisyDekker has been doing some recently that I think are a lot of fun. I have also seen a few lotteries that allow participants to actually enter more than once for various reasons, such as “once for each of the cards you’d like a chance of winning” et cetera. I think these add interest and variety, and I would be sad to see the option go.

Another reason someone might legitimately post more than once is to correct a wrong number without “stealing” numbers from people who have already posted below them. Instead of making everyone else change, you can delete your original comment and re-post at the end with a new number.

5 Likes

Absolutely agreed, Tara_Bell! That’s what I tried to cover in my first post when I mentioned discussions happening, and misnumberings etc. I understand that there can be exceptions in the kinds of lotteries that people post, but I was suggesting that there should/could (if feasible) be an option for an OP to choose that people can only post once in the most common type of lottery (that is, one entry per person, no discussions).

As for the misnumberings, I think numbering your post is a habit from the old forum where there was no way to see from the front end how many people had posted in your topic. As a lottery host, you had to manually count. The new forum counts posts for you (as in, you can see in the side bar a count of how many posts are in the topic), so technically you can do away with asking people to number their posts, thus eliminating the possible user errors when people post the same number at the same time. (This in itself is also a lottery-specific problem, but one that is completely created by users because of the rule that is often mentioned that you have to number your post. (This includes me when I host!))

1 Like

I think you need the numbers to know how many entries there are. The number of entries do not necessarily match the number of posts on a thread. In fact, rarely.

The original post made by the lottery host is post #1. If there is one post per member, the number of replies would correspond to the number of entries.

Not if there is discussion that happens beyond the one entry that a person makes.

Yes, that’s right. I’m referring to lotteries where there is just one post per member.