Suggest an amendment to the "ID-number" prompt when sending

Good idea. I sent a card to Spain earlier today and just now slapped my forehead and said “THE ID NUMBER”. I think that is the second time in about 30 cards where I got so “into” the profile matching the card, decorating, choosing a stamp - and then forgot the card ID number. I sincerely hope they don’t think it rude, but I will probably message them and say (hey sorry about forgetting - here is the number if and when you get it).

But your post reminds me that printing it with the ID number will keep me from forgetting in the first place!

1 Like

In my opinion, the amendment can be useless.
The teachers in my school should upload the student attendance information before his or her lesson. Otherwise, his or her salary of this lesson will be deducted. But teachers often forgot to upload before. Then students made a big and bold prompt on the podium to remind the teachers, but after some days every teacher get used to it and can’t notice it any more…:rofl:
So the possible solution is to change the style of the prompt every few days. People can only notice things new. But is it necessary? After all, every ID can be found by the PC team…:thinking:

Well…I need the ID search at least two or three times a month. These are of course only the cases where I couldn’t figure out the ID by myself, I have more cards where the ID is wrong.

I’ve also had times where two or three times a week I received cards without / with a wrong ID.

Last week I reached the next level: Three cards a day where I had to use the ID search, one with wrong and two with missing ID.

Unfortunately not. I had this some years ago. After months the sender wrote me a message and only then I could figure it out and register the card. The sender came from one of the top 3 countries, didn’t sign with the name, there wasn’t neither a date nor postmark and the motif of the postcard was not uploaded from the sender. Too less informations.

2 Likes

In this case it might probably have helped to use the ID search again a few weeks later. By then there would have been less cards (or hopefully only that one card) travelling to you sent from that country before the date of arrival.

2 Likes

I use my phone for everything so this isn’t an option for me, nor anyone else who uses mobile settings

1 Like

Oh, I did so, I did it several times. But no success. I guess that the search function has improved a lot in the meantime but back then it didn’t work very well with just a few informations.

I hand write the ID plus I print labels with the address - helps when I have bad handwriting and put the ID on the label typed as well. Hopefully between both I will only forget one lol

My phone is connected to my printer via wi-fi and I can print the addresses (but I usually only do it for special characters) I just wanted to say that it’s possible

What a sad story…Sorry that I didn’t use the search often since I only received less than 50 cards. I usually use it when the handwriting is wet and illegible. When I find that I forgot to write the ID on my cards, I will send a email to the receiver.
I usually thought that PC team knows the sender of every cards to me…If they are just searching the cards with little information by themselves, it could be a hard work…

Of course, many people do not own printers any more.

1 Like

:hushed:really?! I hope Italy will arrive there too! For the moment we need printers for school works, documents, etc … (Also we pay hundreds of euros for school books and then teachers ask us to print pages and pages from different books :woman_facepalming:t2:)
But you gave me a good idea, I will try to see how much it would cost to print in a printer shop instead of at home! I would gladly free the space my printer uses and also the ink costs a fortune!!

We have switched to mostly electronic in Canada. I mean, people use printers at work still but no so much need for them at home. If I buy a ticket to go to something, I just download it on my phone, for example.

As a student, perhaps it is different? I graduated with a degree a couple of years ago and the only thing I needed to print off was papers and projects and I just did that at school.

2 Likes

After quite a while without problems, today I received yet another postcard without an ID number. Grrrrrrrrrr! :sob:

Luckily it doesn’t happen to me often but every time it does it’s pretty annoying. Those postcards mostly come from new members. However, even more often I receive cards whose ID code is impossible to read or it is tangled or dropped. Some people tend to write the ID next to the stamp, making it impossible to read! Please don’t do it!

Perhaps the format for writing the address could be:
XX-1234567
A N Other
123 Postcrossing St
Card City
123-456 POSTCARDLAND

Putting the ID after the address could get confused as a Zip code/Postcode but at the beginning(above the recipient name) it would probably be ignored by post offices.

I always start the top left hand (writing side) corner of my card like this:

DATE
ID

I do this before I write, stamp, or address

Often for the ID I will draw out little lines for each number, like: US - __ __ __ __ __ __ __

Colors are nice too!

Accomplishes two things:

1. Ensures the date is always there. Most people prefer the date to be written. :white_check_mark:

2. Ensures I’ve got the ID! :white_check_mark:

8 Likes

@gailthesnail, I do this most of the time now! I print the addresses onto labels, and unless there simply isn’t room (e.g. on addresses with more than 4 lines), I reserve the top line of the address label for the Postcrossing ID. Then I highlight it with a yellow highlighting marker for good measure :wink:

1 Like

For the second time this week I have received a card with no ID number. This is getting sickening. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :flaming:

I haven’;t mentioned all the times I have received postcards with no ID number, but it has happened again twice this week. One had sent over 2700 postcards, so why is this happening so often???

Is this a new problem? In my 10+ years I’ve only asked admins for a missing ID perhaps 2 or 3 times. I suspect this is not a common problem