[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

The Dinosaur issue of stamps is now available to view and pre-order over on the Royal Mail shop: The Age of the Dinosaurs - Special Stamp Issues

I like these, especially the Mary Anning miniature sheet.

3 Likes

I loved those dinosaur stamps from a few years ago that had non-standard shapes. Anyone remember them (or even still have some)?

1 Like

They look very like early 2010s computer game graphics to me: slightly in the uncanny valley.

I liked them but didn’t buy many of that issue. Long used up now. Norvic said that they were a postponed issue - RM didn’t expect so many UK gold medal winners, though at first, I thought RM jinxed it!

1 Like

Dinosaur stamps and postcards up on Royal Mail website

2 Likes

I was wondering if is there a way to give feedback/proposal to Roymail? e.g suggesting a separate pricing for letters under 20g, like in some European countries. It’s kind of ridiculous that sending a postcard costs £2.50…:frowning:

4 Likes

There used to be lower weight bands. It was something like: postcard/10g Worldwide/20g Europe for the first price, then 20g worldwide/40g Europe up again. As a letter writer, quite pleased the lower bands have gone - if using a greetings cards, Christmas cards were often over 20g, and now very little faffing about with digital kitchen scales. .

1 Like

feeling very disappointed with royal mail lately and it’s making me want to keep my 13 post and go stamps nice and safe in my drawer instead of actually using them to send something…

I collect stamps I started with used stamps and then moved on to collecting special editions as they came out. Last year I collected most of the 2023 Royal Mail stamps and most of the La Poste stamps.

This year I have not collected any of the French stamps and used that money for Postcrossing. I have however still been collecting the Royal Mail 2024 issues, but (personal opinion) they are ugly. Kind of wish I hadn’t given up on collecting French stamps.

Alex

2 Likes

I just got some off of ebay, thinking to make maxicards with them - unfortunately, I am apparently illiterate, and didn’t notice they were used! They’re still nice, though, and from a different seller I got the matching PHQ postcards, so I might stick them on just to make a pair

Or, if you want a used set for your collection, I’d be up for swapping?

For those who don’t know them: Dinosaurs (2013) : Collect GB Stamps

That’s the ones! They’re actually nicer than I remember.

I really do appreciate the swap offer but don’t really have anything to swap for them. Thank you though :slight_smile:

IMO, the designs are so much nicer looking than the latest release. The illustrations are beautiful and I love the way the non-rectangular stamps look and feel. Plus, all these species are British, the current release is a mix of European and North American species.

1 Like

I’m fortunate its a hobby I can afford like my crochet at this stage on life - no huge outlay & enough stash for quite a while. Even though officially the price has gone up the stamps I will be adhering to my cards will have cost far less when I bought them from Royal mail ( Dinosaurs arrived today)
On retiring in a few years I may have to reconsider but currently this Group means a lot to me & can’t see that changing.
I think Royal mail are trying to cherry pick the profitable parts of the business and stop delivering letters/cards - not on my watch if I can help it !
I also have an excellent postie who needs his job.

8 Likes

Hey All,

I’m sure they are… but I just want to double check, with the experts! These stamps are still usable aren’t they? I’m always a bit nervous about small ones :thinking:

Thank you x

3 Likes

Yes, they are valid to use. They’re a commemorative stamp.

2 Likes

Thank you :grin: x

1 Like

Currently watching the last mail video from Exploring Stamps, the lovely Graham Beck. Something posted in October with a universal mail stamp on made it to him in January.

2 Likes

Oh, new postage rate leaflets are in post offices (picked up one today).

1 Like

Posted a envelope to a fellow member of this group yesterday, imagine my surprise when today it was posted through my letterbox. I don’t understand why it’s been posted back to me, the recipients name and address are clearly written on the front of the envelope and my address label is on the reverse. When I queried this with the postman all he said was that he had been told to deliver it, I told him that I had put a valid stamp on the envelope and that Royal Mail has a duty to deliver it to the correct address. I hope that it’ll soon be delivered to the correct address.

5 Likes

I have had this happen to me several times with penpal letters. If there’s a return address on the back it ends up in my mailbox sometimes. Makes absolutely no sense. I put it back in the postbox lol. I am not wasting those stamps (sometimes it’s £4 worth with the large letter costs to Australia or the US).

5 Likes

I had the same with an envelope to Canada. I was kindly advised by another BI forum member to write ‘Misdelivered to Sender’ on the front & pop it back in the post, I also crossed out my address (but it was still visible) and it got to Canada no problem x

5 Likes