[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Oh for sure, you can get £2.20 stamps, including some great pictures, I’m just trying to work out how to use all the 1st class stamps I just bought :slight_smile: I think I’m just going to combine them with £1 stamps and accept overpaying by 5p, or a second class for the economy £2 pricing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Mustard_Boy
Based on @Florallle 's recommendation I have bought some 97p stamps from Philatelink and will use them with one of my many first class stamps.
They arrived really quickly and they sent some great designs.

7 Likes

Ill check them out, thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

I am starting to use Economy more often now, especially as RM are making stamps for this rate and will be even more so now that 1st & 2nd equal that rate.

I usually always write ‘International Economy’ on my postcards now as, some postcards, both mine and others here have been flagged for insufficient postage by the Mail Centres.

I have recently got a Self Inking Handstamp made.
The above Postcard to Taiwan arrived in about 21 days.

I would share a picture, but one of my recipients of a forum tag, sent me a picture of a postmark applied by the Revenue team at Heathrow World Mail Distribution Centre stating that Correct Postage had been paid, but it covered her address, so cannot share here, but this is what postal marking was applied to the stamps and address, this was an Economy rate postcard

It’s kind of shocking that RM & the Post Office are not even aware at International Economy exists
This on Instagram made me laugh, considering that the Post Office teams deny it exists and always try to upsell!

8 Likes

I’ve just done the same :slight_smile: hopefully this is the way forward :slight_smile:

So which countries can you send economy most of mine is Europe USA & Canada

1 Like

So any country in the Blue, you cannot use the £2 Economy rate, use must use the £2.20 International Standard / Airmail rate.

5 Likes

Hello all,
I saw this Postmarks of Paddington station, and swindon

Can anyone tell me what kind of Postmarks are these? And how to get them on mail, cause one my friend like to send their mail with these Lovely Postmarks

Please share your thoughts and knowledge about UK Postmarks, I’m don’t know much about them

3 Likes

I think it is the first day of issue postmark which is usually available only that day.

1 Like

It is a special postmark, they are sponsored monthly. You can send your post off to handstamp centres to receive these sorts of postmarks: see https://www.royalmail.com/postmarks for some more detail of this month’s postmarks.

3 Likes

Has anyone else’s post seemingly gone down the tubes again in recent weeks? It was ropey early in the year but improved. Now it seems to be patchy again. Interestingly foreign mail seems to get through relatively ok, but mail posted within the UK seems to take an age.

1 Like

Covid is doing the rounds again at some delivery offices. The angry postman on twitter (whatever) had it last week. He doesn’t think he’ll finish today’s round (heavy bags of post).

2 Likes

Hello :wave:t3:

just a quick question please.

I’ve just received my order from Philatelink (lots of lovely stamps… I never thought I’d be this excited by stamps) but a few are ripped or have marks/sticky bits on the back. Is that ok, will they still go through the postal system ok?

Thank you :blush:

Those little marks seem to be where the stamp hinges were (and then affixed to stamp album pages). These would be mint but hinged (as opposed to MNH - mint never hinged), and should be good to use for postage.

Occasionally, I’ve been a bit rough tearing stamps off a sheet, and have damaged a stamp or two.

5 Likes

Thank you, that’s really helpful :blush:

Just to add if you can’t or don’t want to lick them I’ve used a bit of pritt stick and that’s always been fine.

3 Likes

Lol, I’d not even thought of that :tongue: thank you, I shall do that!

1 Like

Some areas are struggling. Colchester Essex is bad apparently

2 Likes

I use a Water brush, a worthwhile investment.
Before, I used a paintbrush and pot of water to cure my stamps to postcards and envelopes.

3 Likes

I use a sponge with water

4 Likes