[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

You can get those!! The puffins are toooo cute @Paleoman80

1 Like

Falkland Islands have their own postal service, they are also responsible for the British Antarctic Territories and the South Georgia & Sandwich Islands,

There was a recent job vacancy to be a postmaster down there.

Some stamps and postmarks I personally am interested in collecting a some stage, so one that is worthwhile doing.

4 Likes

Knew I’d missed my vocation… though when I got to the bottom I feared my dodgy blood pressure would probably rule me out :see_no_evil:

Awesome thanks!

Hi! I’m looking for those british stamps: 50p, 2£ and 3 £ barcoded additional values (Elizabeth II), and the Charles III stamps (1st/2nd class, normal and large, 2.20£ and additional values), all unused. I can exchange with stamps (France, Belgium, modern Egypt…), cards, egyptian banknotes, collectible coins…

If anyone is interessted, you’re welcome!

Are international postage rates changing in October?

1st class is increasing in price from 1.10 to 1.25

See also: [Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters - #1272 by Maddymail

1 Like

I caught that, and both classes of ‘large’ mail but I can’t see any reference to international mail. Can I therefore assume no change?

No postage increase, just that 1st class stamps are now more expensive

1 Like

Which means if you use 2 x 1st class stamps, you’ll be overpaying by 30 pence. One option is a 1st class stamp plus 95 pence of other stamps.

But once the increase has taken effect International Economy will be nicely 1 x 1st and 1 x Second… :slight_smile:

As you say Airmail gets a bit more fiddly. Although as my stamps come at a cut price from Philatelink I’m probably just going to overpay anyway…

3 Likes

I just bought 2 lots of stamps from Philatelink that add up to 95 pence.

3 Likes

I’ve finally capitulated and ordered some 97p stamps from Philatelink. I’m happy to overpay a little for convenience and just needing 2 stamps, but 30p (2× first as i have been using, is too much)

6 Likes

That’s good. They must be new in. I’m fairly sure they weren’t available when I did my order. I agree, I think 30 pence is too much.

2 Likes

The world’s oldest post office is under new management: World's oldest post office in Sanquhar finds new owners - BBC News

1 Like

Had a strange conversation at my local post office and wondered if its true of just the local postie having a bad day…

Sending a large letter internationally I popped on two first class stamps the went to the post office to see what the extra would be and fill in a customs label.

She said to me this wasn’t allowed for international as ‘at the other end’ they wouldn’t know how much I’d paid for the first class stamps.

Doesn’t seem right, and surely a first class stamp has the value of a current first class stamp…these were new barcoded stamps.

She also stuck the customs label all over my happy mail stickers when there was plenty of space to avoid it… Maybe just a bad day??

2 Likes

She is rude and incorrect! The worst kind of rude.

5 Likes

This is a common but incorrect thing some counter staff say. As long as Royal Mail know (but even they don’t all know what stamps are valid for use, or are fake (including the barcoded ones), or re-used…) what does it matter if USPS/Deutsche Post/An Post/WhereverPost doesn’t know how much a 1st class stamp is?

3 Likes

Perhaps in future, get hold of some CN22 customs labels beforehand, and also get to grips with the postage rates, ruler & scales, measure it all out and stick the postage on. If you need a tracked/signed service, perhaps leave off an amount to be bought at your post office…

1 Like

I was thinking getting a measure and some custom labels may be the way to go. The royal mail gave out paper measures years ago when the different sizes came in, but sadly I don’t think I still have it.