[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

I’ve bought a few mixed bundles of super low value vintage stamps (most less than 10p value) from the 1970s-80s on Etsy and eBay, and they are great to use with a more recent £1.63 stamp. I like the country definitives you can get on the Royal Mail website - tartan for Scotland, porcelain for Northern Ireland, I think there’s a daffodil design for Wales etc. The low value stamps add the colour and can be matched to the recipients interests, but the £1.63 does most of the heavy lifting, postage costs-wise!

3 Likes

@Lu72 The favourite supplier used by many Postcrossers is probably
https://www.philatelink.co.uk/

You will have seen many references above. They were having supply issues during lockdown but normal service seems to have been restored now.
Another one I have used is

And while they had the denominations I was looking for, I thought the stamps were a bit ‘worn’ round the edges, definitely not used but not exactly ‘mint’ either. Fine for postage, but as a collector I would have been disappointed.
There are other suppliers, aiming at collectors though (ie not discounted) and you could also buy via ebay etc but I have no experience there.

Here are some of the ones from Philatelink that came today

8 Likes

Two new stamp issues in September

British Army Vehicles (02/09) and DC Comics (17/09)

I was hoping the 17th Sept issue may have been the Covid Stamp Competition that was run back in January/February, that will probably be released early next year now.

2 Likes

Is it “allowed” to use Marvel stamps next to the DC stamps?

I might only get the miniature sheet tomorrow, if any, of the British Army Vehicles issue. I’ll save up for DC!

1 Like

Hi Folks,

Thought you may like to see the new UK stamp issue being released at a Post Office near you on the 17th September, or pre-order from Royal Mail online. The DC Collection, this time it’s Batman, 12 X 1st class stamps plus Justice League Minisheet plus all the usual paraphernalia, Prestige stamp book, booket, etc etc. Certainly colourful, a collectors issue, am sure that many Postcrossers will love these.
Best Wishes, D

16 Likes

I definitely prefer these to the army vehicles!

2 Likes

Me too !

2 Likes

I might need to find a few extra pennies down the back of the sofa for a half sheet of these later in the month!

You’ll find those pennies, you know you love 'em!
Best Wishes, D

1 Like

Me too!!!

1 Like

I may get some of these, but don’t think I’ll get the army vehicle ones.

Hell Yeah! I think Thor & Aquaman will look well together! :grin:

I’m slightly ambivalent about buying a batch of £1.70 stamps tomorrow (2nd Sept). I usually try to stock up on special issues whenever they come out, but given the current global situation and the fact that there’s a good chance that any random country might have had a bad experience with the British Army, I’m not sure I should bother. Any thoughts? Am I overthinking this, or should I save my money for the DC issue (twelve different First Class - oh the combination possibilities!)?

3 Likes

@Steve_Francis I agree with you. This year I’ve started purchasing the latest edition stamps but think I’ll give this one a miss too. It’s a shame the UK haven’t come up with stamps to celebrate our Olympic and Paralympic achievements this year instead.

2 Likes

I agree with both, of all the subjects they could have picked this is probably the most irrelevant. The choosing of subjects appears to be pretty well based how much cash they can generate for Royal Mails coffers and little else. Occasionally a well-designed set comes along, Industrial Revolution were interesting and something different from the usual photographic designs, Marine life were colourful. Shame really with so many interesting subjects they pick British Army Vehicles, poor designs and the wrong time for a subject like that. The chance of a Postcrossing issue from the UK is about as likely as an Elephant nesting in a Rhubarb tree! But of course I may be wrong. Maybe they should take a leaf out of Guernsey’s book if they want to produce something innovative !

5 Likes

They will be be popular on postcards to countries such as Russia and China.

I have miltary history listed on my profile, although I don’t get many postcards of this theme, I almost exclusively get Miltary themed stamps from these countries.

I think the DC Comics will be much more popular with the rest of the world. The Marvel ones where very popular on my early postcards.

1 Like

Just put up a separate post with pictures of the DC Collection Batman and M/S for the Justice League to be issued 17th Sept for those interested.
Best Wishes, D

I ordered a half sheet of the military vehicles £1.70s, and a fair few English Rose £1.63 stamps I can use with the make-up values I have already. I know from all the profiles I’ve read over the years that not everyone appreciates military themes on their postcards and stamps. I’ll have the choice available to me for this month’s cards, dependent on the recipient’s preferences, and if in doubt I’ll avoid sticking a tank stamp on their card.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know they’re out, I’m gonna order some now :slightly_smiling_face:.

I won’t worry about them not being liked, I have generic stamps (and cards) for people that I think might take offence at something.

3 Likes

Emma Raducanu Ink-Jet postmark available till Thursday will applied to most domestic and international mail. May end up on some of the larger postcards.

6 Likes