[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Oh wow, all 1st and 2nd class and only one £1.85. I’m going to be buying a lot of make up value stamps :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Strikes “postponed” due to court action… But expect more dates if talks fail.

3 Likes

RM announcement tomorrow concerning definitives. I guess they will not be Machins.

2 Likes

New Charles III stamps?

1 Like

That is what I’m guessing… But who knows with RM!!

A comment elsewhere… probably in line for price rise early April rather than late March… argh

3 Likes

It will be a year after the previous price rise, so I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised.

2 Likes

Oh yeah there will most definitely be a price rise, looking at the Crown Dependencies, they have all risen there prices on the 1st of January.

Traditionally always cheaper than the UK, they are either inline or now more expensive that the UK.

I enjoyed the cheaper rates from Jersey & Isle of Man last year, now it is an eye-watering £2.55/£2.72 to send postcards to the USA!

Jersey’s 1st class rate is now 98p having risen from 82p!

2 Likes

Issued: 4 April 2023

8 Likes

BBC News story about the new stamps: King Charles unadorned new stamp design revealed - BBC News

6 Likes

The four designs will be issued for 2nd, 1st, 2nd Large and 1st Large on the 4th of April. I’m surprised they went with a coin portrait of just his head with no embellishment as it looks very muted.

https://www.royalmail.com/hmkingcharlesregister you can sign yourself up to be notified when they go on sale, if that is your type of thing.

3 Likes

Is anybody else finding that sent postcards are taking a long time to arrive? Since the end of the cyber incident (18 January) until last week, I’ve posted 17 postcards, but only 1 has been registered. Is the cyber incident still affecting the post, or is this just an unlucky coincidence on my part?

4 Likes

Mine are doing okay. I’ll admit I posted a lot, 30+, from the 19th onwards and those to Germany, Netherlands and Finland have been arriving in average 6 - 7 - 11 days respectively. All to Russia still travelling of course. A few to US have arrived but most still travelling.

3 Likes

It’s just bad luck for me then.

I’ve just checked my husband’s account. Since the 20th January, he has sent 7 and 3 of his have been registered. They were posted at the same time as mine.

2 Likes

Flowers will bear the King’s profile.

3 Likes

So the Flying Scotsman will be the last Special Issue with the Queen’s profile?
I guess that’s good thinking by Royal Mail - there’s always going to be a certain amount of “Is this really suitable as a farewell to Her Late Majesty?” articles in certain papers and websites, but they’ll get fewer if it’s Flying Scotsman than they would for X-Men (or Iron Maiden, judging by the amount of This Is Not Suitable For A Stamp Issue opinion pieces I read :rofl:)

3 Likes

Imagine if it had been the Sex Pistols on stamps…

2 Likes

Are we certain that it’s the Flying Scotman Train. With Royal Mail’s recent track (no pun intended) history, it could be the Scottish Parachute Regiment dropping from the sky in kilts! :eyes:

4 Likes

A sight not to be seen?!

3 Likes

Yes, what you said is true. This also explains why the post office in my town accepted my request to paste seven 1st stamps on registered mail after January 31st.

(They even took the rare step of manually stamping the stamp instead of using a machine.) :joy:

3 Likes

I know that theoretically E stamps are worth £1.85 (the cost of sending a <20g letter to Europe, which nowadays is the same worldwide), but practically do they still work?

I sent an official the other day to the US with a single E stamp on, and now I am concerned that it won’t be considered valid by the machines or handlers who don’t recognise it.

Has anyone else recentlyish send cards with just an E stamp on and had them arrive?