[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Wouldn’t surprise me if 1st went up to something like 90p something and another penny (or two) rise on 2nd.

I wonder what the International Economy Rate will be?

It will be abolished :wink: !

1 Like

As far as I know and until Royal Mail announce it fully, it’s just the postcard rate going up to £1.85. First Class I’d think will remain 85p until after the barcode swap out, so Jan 31st 2023… After all if you buy the OLD First Class now and then they put the price up, you can then swap old for new and they’ll lose ££££’s on that!

5 Likes

This is a very good point… Royal Mail have removed all non-barcoded first and second class from the online shop to add to the bonfire!

2 Likes

Very true. Hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

I went to a Post Office in Edinburgh to buy a book of stamps the other day. The clerk had to open a new celophane-wrapped pack of books of 12 second class stamps to sell me one. Still plenty of un-barcoded available, clearly!

3 Likes

Problem now solved - just been announced that 1st class postage will rise to 95p - therefore 2x 1st class will be overpaying the new postcard rate by 5p!!!

4 Likes

Hmm. And a first and second class together will need 22 pence of smaller stamps to get to £1.85.

Or 49 pence with two second class stamps.

1 Like

Mind you, I bought 100 first class stamps from Philatelink last week at 70 pence per stamp. So if I combine 2 of them, I will only be paying £1.40, so will still be saving a lot. Just not quite as much as I would have liked.

5 Likes

Well, [words unsuitable for this forum]…

https://www.royalmail.com/prices2022

Europe zoning… but affects parcels.

Economy £1.60

First post updated.

1 Like

I guess its good news for dealers and collectors with large stocks wishing to reduce

Swap-out to Royal Mail then put excess on eBay at a reduction, that 10p per stamp will be nice!

Expect a lot of Royal Mail stock on eBay next year!!

1 Like

All bodes for 1st class letters costing £1+ from 2023, I think. That’ll be a big push factor to people using 1st class even less I reckon. How about get rid of 1st and 2nd class and have one standard class rate, dependent on size and weight? Retain tracked and signed for for valuable / really time sensitive items. There seems little reason to pay the 1st class premium for letters when 2nd class items often end up being delivered just as quickly as 1st class these days.

2 Likes

Well, I did buy 2 David Gentleman miniature sheets today… Why?! Umm…

New Airmail & ‘Make-up’ stamps
Issued: 4th April 2022

4 Likes

And a lovely dingy brown for our postcards.

2 Likes

Hmm
I put in an order for stamps when the Jubilee ones came out and am now trying to work out how to navigate the new prices given what I have in stock!

Reading this thread back am I correct that the following options exist from April:

1 x £ 1.85 (to be released in April?)

2 x first and overpay 5p

1 x first +1 x second plus 22p
(does anyone know if this will fit on a card neatly if the makeup stamps are barcoded? How big are the barcoded ones in relation to a current make up stamp)

Thanks

1 Like

They will fit. I often use, in fact I usually use, four stamps per postcard, and at least three of those will be pictorial stamps. Of course, this leaves less space for writing, but I do write a meaningful message on the postcards.

2 Likes

Can someone confirm for me please, can these stamps be used just like ordinary first class stamps i.e. at the moment, two of them to send a postcard abroad?

2 Likes

Yes you can, I have in the past used them in combination with definitives and special stamps, although they don’t look as nice.

2 Likes