[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Still no mail this year in my mailbox, just down the road from you :sob:. I have seen a Royal Mail car once this week, but they were only delivering parcels, not postcards or letters. I keep my fingers crossed that I’ll soon get some mail as well :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:. I feel sorry for the posties who have to deliver on Sundays to work through the backlog though!

1 Like

I was astonished too! I was in the kitchen at about 10:00 batch cooking some meals for this week when I heard the letterbox open and the thump of something landing on the hallway floor. I thought it must be a slim package from that online retailer named after a tropical rain forest, something ordered by one of my housemates. Then when I saw a load of postcards, letters, and my magazine subscription in a pile on the hallway floor, I had to double check that today is definitely a Sunday!

3 Likes

I feel sorry for them too. I didn’t get chance to thank mine, as by the time I’d opened the front door to check the porch for anything too large to fit through the letterbox, he was walking up the driveway of the house opposite with their post.

1 Like

I’m still awaiting post this year. I guess my postie is off, as I did see a relief postie delivering parcels after 2pm. He stopped to chat to another postie while I was doing the recycling, and overheard some conversation (the relief postie started his shift at 11am).

This has confirmed my suspicions! Just before Christmas, some post arrived on a Sunday. I’d assumed it was just post that had been erroneously delivered to a neighbour and someone was just being a good neighbour, but I had caught a glimpse of a red jacket which made me think it could have been the postie!

1 Like

Not impressed with the Music Giants/Rolling Stones issue… It would seem the Royal Mail couldn’t get the rights to the album covers that has been the usual format for previous issues in the series.

4 Likes

Oh wow, I like those :star_struck:.

A letter for a housemate did end up with a neighbour on Sunday… unfortunately the neighbour got a bit excited and opened it thinking it was for them. Cue it landing in the hallway with a note of apology written on the envelope around half an hour after the rest of the post.

3 Likes

With my Postcrossing hat on I can say the stamps are good and will please Rolling Stones fans around the world but it’s a shame that they have changed the design used on the previous Music Giants issues (Paul McCartney, Queen, Pink Floyd, Elton John etc) But then again, I’ve just been looking at the album covers they might have used. It’s just possible they decided against having ‘Sticky Fingers’ and ‘Goat’s Head Soup’ on their stamps!

2 Likes

And according to my mum, “There’s no point if Brian’s not on them…” :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

New colours and barcodes on 1st & 2nd class stamps.

On 1st February, Royal Mail are to issue new versions of the Machin Definitives with a barcode.
First class will change from Red to Purple and Second Class will change from Blue to Green

4 Likes

I have several PHQ cards with FDI cancellation on the back (see picture). Can I add £1.70 of new stamps and post them like a regular card or would Royal Mail be confused by having one already cancelled stamp on it? Did anyone ever try this successfully?

2 Likes

Yes I have done that, more than once. I shared images in another thread some day to prove it worked :smiley: and the cards arrived. If I find them I’ll edit here. I usually add a small Machin definitive, and
of course you run the risk that the special cancellation is obscured by a new one.

Edit: this is where I posted, above in this thread: [Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters - #102 by AnjuschkaC

1 Like

Thank you, @AnjuschkaC, I’ll send mine off as well then!

1 Like

My half sheet of 24 £1.70 stamps arrived today. It’s a nice set of photos. The one of Charlie Watts alone at his drum kit is poignant. One will likely be heading out into the world tomorrow with my (working) daily Postcrossing card.

3 Likes

I also received my stamps today. I opted for a half sheet of 1st class and 3 miniature sheets.

1 Like

as this is for stamps and UK only I post here
if anybody wants to win the Rolling Stones presentation pack from Royal mail

3 Likes

@pumuckl Just entered! Thanks :smiley:

The New Definitive Stamps
Plum Purple
Holly Green
Marine Turquoise
Dark Pine Green

3 Likes

Transition to Barcoded Stamps

Non-barcoded stamps will be phased out but will remain usable until 31 January 2023. Customers are encouraged to use their non-barcoded stamps before this date. Alternatively, non-barcoded stamps can be exchanged for the new barcoded version through Royal Mail’s ‘Swap Out’ scheme.

The ‘Swap Out’ scheme will open on 31 March 2022. Forms will be available via a variety of channels, including local Customer Service Points; the Royal Mail website and via our Customer Experience team. Customers will be able to use a Freepost address. Further details will be announced shortly.

4 Likes