[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

I’m following a thread on a philately forum… Norphil’s blog has many comments on a blogpost about it.

I’m hoping that when the time comes (and I’m pretty sure it will), we will have at least a year to use up commemorative stamps… or do that exchange thing (not sure what that will be like… anyone from a eurozone country want to comment on the stamp changeovers from pre-euro currency to the euro?).

1 Like

Sorry quite rude of me,
Maybe I’m the one panicking 2nd day in :flushed:
Just over thinking.

As for the DC Comics, both Batman & Superman have been played by British Actors, that about the only connection I think.
But I can understand why there was alot of dismay amongst philatelic community.
Again this year I am sure there will be at least one issue like this.

Transformers, I believe.

Do you happen to know if it covers the regional definitives as well? I often use Welsh ones if I can see that a recipient is a stamp collector, so I have quite a stash.

Oops sorry, just realised it’s been discussed above

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1558962/Royal-Mail-change-stamps-barcodes-track-trace-deliveries/amp?fbclid=IwAR2AZOvLP63J_vOu3hROA9ltfnUkYLVizn4KH_ht_XwLVRDj3GnTXkO4Xo0

Take particular note of the last paragraph :flushed:

“Should you post an item with a non-barcoded stamp after 31 January 2023 it will be liable to surcharge — as it will be the equivalent of it having no postage.”

2 Likes

Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Stamps

Issued: 4 February 2022

13 Likes

Love it, love it, love it! :heart_eyes::heart::heart_eyes::heart:

1 Like

4 April 2022

The date is “provisional and subject to change” according to Royal Mail, but they plan to issue stamps for the low and high value “make-up stamps” with barcodes to replace the existing ones.

1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2, £3 and £5.

This will enable them to remove all definitives without barcodes from 2023.

There is also an implication that there will be new airmail rates, to replace the £1.70, £3.45 and £4.20 stamps issued for airmail rates.

These are expected on the same day, with the rates to take effect on 11 April.

An announcement about new postage rates is expected around 3 March.

5 Likes

Just had a delivery of the new barcoded first class stamps… The size of a house!

9 Likes

I can see why the books have gone down to 4s and 8s!

2 Likes

I don’t recall seeing this paragraph in the FAQs at the bottom of the Royal Mail page about the new barcoded stamps before. Not sure if it’s a new addition or if I just missed it last time I looked:

What if I do not want to use barcoded stamps? What are my options?

Until 31 January 2023 all non-barcoded Definitive stamps remain valid for use. Thereafter it will remain possible to use Royal Mail Special Stamps which will not be barcoded. Here you can find details of the Special Stamps that are issued by Royal MailOpens in a new window

It was added last Friday

2 Likes

This is worth a read, Royal Mail introduces new 2nd class stamps, but Shaun the Sheep is a welcome distraction from the real story - How much is a 2nd Class Stamp?

5 Likes

Thank you. After I’d read the original and panicked then.

A reminder… How to post money, jewellery and valuables in the UK

Sending valuables, money & jewellery in the UK

If you’re sending valuables, money or jewellery in the post, you can only use Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed® .

Money should be packaged securely and shouldn’t be visible from the outside. Don’t indicate anywhere on the packaging that money is enclosed.

Coins should never be sent in envelopes - our automated sorting machinery may damage envelopes containing coins, which can lead to delay in delivery and increase the likelihood of the contents being lost.

Our definition of valuables (money and jewellery)

Any item that is:

i) precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to it, including coins used for ornament;

ii) ingots;

iii) diamonds and precious stones;

iv) watches the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal; and

v) articles similar to any of those referred to in i) - iii) above with an intrinsic value.

vi) Coins & Bank notes of any currency that are legal tender at the time of posting;

vii) Postal Orders, cheques and dividend warrants uncrossed and payable to bearer;

viii) Unused postage and revenue stamps and National Insurance stamps; Exchequer bills, bills of exchange, promissory notes and credit notes; Bonds, bond coupons and any other investment certificates; and

ix) Coupons, vouchers, tickets, tokens, cards, stamps and other documents that can be exchanged in whole or in part for money, goods or services.

So, perhaps the stamp exchange thing will need to be done via Special Delivery.

1 Like

The Stamp Designs of David Gentleman Miniature Sheet

Issued: 18 February 2022

6 Likes

Thanks for posting these! Am I the only one finding them slightly disappointing and old-fashioned? I didn’t like the originals in the first place :confused:.
I love the last two issues (Rolling Stones and Queen’s jubilee) a lot, so maybe it’s time to deliver to other tastes.

3 Likes

I love the originals! I like these - I have a few of these as originals but nice to have them in modern day values that are a bit more useable, I think. But I’m a little bit surprised that they are literally just stamps on stamps :joy: I don’t know what I was expecting though!

3 Likes

Like I said, it was about time to suit other stamp buyers’ tastes! Glad you like them. I like the fact that they have included two 2nd class values, most special stamps nowadays only have 1st class and higher values.

1 Like