Stamp Out War: Support Ukraine! (2023 Edition)

Wow, I can’t believe that this year I have already sent out the postcards to 50 countries – double of last year’s number of participating countries! Also, I was very touched to receive the help of several Russian expats living in some of these countries. People’s desire for peace knows no border :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

In less than a month, people from all over the world across 6 continents are going to show solidarity with Ukraine through postcards – How cool is this?

2 Likes

I am wondering – Is there anyone from New York City who can visit UN’s headquarter on the 24th of August? Or anyone who can travel there?

I am looking for such a person to help me get a UN postmark on that day.

Tomorrow, 24 August, is the big day!

In the end, amidst more than 50 mails I sent out to the rest of the world, about 40 of them have reached their intended recipients.

Tomorrow, some 40 people across 5-6 continents will show their solidarity with Ukraine by bringing our blue/yellow postcards to local post offices and getting them postmarked! People around the world united by one common cause to perform one common ritual. How cool is this!?

2 Likes

Some of the first results from Eastern Asia:

[From Thailand, with the help of @magiclavender]

[From Singapore]

[From Philippines, with the help of @cabbie]

[From India, with the help of @Anurag]

[From Czech Republic, with the help of @hs87]

[From Suriname]

[From Antigua & Barbuda]

[From Armenia, with the help of @m_in_cube]

[From Malaysia]

More are coming in!

11 Likes

[From Brazil, with the help of @carameljuniper]

This beauty made me want to cry … Brazil was meant to be represented last year, but guess what, my mail never made it to its destination. So I had to send it again this year and finally we have this beautiful result!

Thank you Danieli for being part of this journey for more than an year!

6 Likes

Result from UN’s New York Headquarter using the very stylish sunflower stamp:

Wow! That was quick! In the end, we mailed-in our cards and they must have been happy to fulfill our request. They don’t seem to be so hard to work with as some people complain about. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This week’s received results, from Slovakia and Monaco:

3 Likes

This week’s received results:

From Belgium:

From Czech Republic, with the help of @hs87:

From Falkland Islands, Morocco, Singapore, Argentina, and UN New York:

All the participants this round are Postcrossers except the one living in New York City :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

This week’s received results.

From Peru, with the help of @NaruMinamino:

From Iceland and Switzerland, the latter with the help of @s0nata:

From Czech Republic, Uruguay and Armenia, the last with the help of @m_in_cube:

From Laos and Sri Lanka:

From United Arab Emirates and Malaysia:

From Brazil with the help of @carameljuniper, Thailand with the help of @magiclavender and Greece:

5 Likes

Maxicards received last week.

From Kyrgyzstan, with the help of @sharlis:

From India, with the help of @Anurag:

From Philippines:

6 Likes

I forgot to post that the results from Portugal came in last week. There are 2 varieties: one (bottom) with the postmark of 24 Aug, another (top) with an additional first-day of cancellation that accompanied the stamp release last year.

4 Likes

Great news for my global team!

My article about the genesis of the Stamp Out War project was chosen by The Stamp Forum members to feature on the American Philatelic Society’s website!

It’s such an honour and a timely recognition, as the auction of the remaining 2022 Ukraine Support Maxicards is currently held by Vancouver’s All Nations Stamp and Coin. Last week, we had 2 maxicards sold at $110 each! I am really grateful to everyone who has contributed to this project.

P.S. The Stamp Forum is where this project emerged in the first place. I got into Postcrossing only later upon @Dorinco 's suggestion.

Also, the project was reported by Canadian Stamp News.

4 Likes

This week, from Mexico:

Because by the regulation, Mexico Post staff can only cancel stamps that are postally used, so @Mexicomagico find a creative way of going around the rule:

How clever!

5 Likes

Received last week: the Italian postmark was not very neat, but we still got a number of usable maxicards – one of them with an attached barcode. Apparently, it’s something typically Italian to collect the latest issues with the attached barcode.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing. I’m excited to see that so many postcrossers contributed. Thank you for your support! I’m curious how it will turn out :blue_heart::yellow_heart:

1 Like

So far only the maxicards realised in 2022 have been auctioned off, so I have posted about the weekly auction result in the 2022 thread.

We have had several maxicards sold at more than $100 (CAD), with the highest price realised per card being $150. And the average price archived so far is close to $50 per card. Pretty impressive!

I predict that the trend will continue with the 2023 edition, because this year we have people from ‘rare’ countries joining to create these precious maxicards.

2 Likes

The long wait is over, and the 2023 Ukrainian varieties are here!

6 were cancelled in Kyiv, another 6 in Lviv. I will decide how to distribute these card for the upcoming auction.

I know the Iraqi variety is still travelling to me. But I really don’t know when it will arrive in Canada …

2 Likes

I don’t know if you are planning to do a 2024 version, but FYI Australia released a sunflower stamp (unrelated to Ukraine) a few years ago. It’s part of a set called ‘Farming Australia’. I don’t know how available they are now:

@plushmail, a beautiful stamp! Maybe you have some and could lead a group?
Have a look, @delda.

Yes, it’s exactly the same stamp we used in our 2022 edition of the project!

They were not that available at the time I looked for them; I was only able to get 2 copies of this stamp to create 2 Australian varieties of Ukraine support maxicards.

This year, the 24th of August falls on a Saturday (and next year it’s a Sunday), so the scale of the project will be much smaller, focusing on countries where post office remains open on the weekend. To this date, I have China, Hong Kong, Turkey, and Costa Rica confirmed.

1 Like