Spotify Code Stickers

Never heard about it before - and no, I don’t have spotify.

Why don’t you just write what your favorite song is, so person can look for it himself? (just asking, because I don’t know anything about it)

3 Likes

I don’t use Spotify app (although I have been using Spotify for years) and don’t listen to music on my phone, so yeah, these definitely would be wasted on me.

Well, I could do that, but with the codes they can just go straight to the music. I just love sharing music and thought the stickers would be something nice for Postcrossing postcards.

3 Likes

I haven’t been listening to music on my phone either, but I scanned a few codes with my phone with Spotify opened up on my laptop, and when I scanned them with my phone the songs started playing on my laptop.

Ahah same for me :rofl:

I use Spotify on and off but never heard of these codes.

I am not so enthusiastic about the idea, simply because the world of music and musical tastes is too vast to be addressed like this on a postcard platform. Sure, if I get a profile of a member saying they love This Band that I also love, I will talk about it in my postcard. Or when I lived in Liverpool and got profiles of fans of the Beatles… do I need to say more. But I am not really a fan of spontaneously sneaking up on people with my musical choices (which are excellent, by the way ;)). What I mean is, music that means so so much to you might mean nothing at all to others (and vice versa). Not a problem in any way and nothing to lose, but you need to be prepared that some people might not care at all about music (I know that is why you are asking :)) or be horrified at your musical taste :wink:

But why? It is a postcard exchange website, you can barely get people to do the bare minimum i.e. speak English and register postcards, it would be hard to make people fill other fields like what musical services do you use. It is not on topic, so to speak. And I assume in China and other places, they might not have heard of some services that are popular in other countries.

I don’t know how to say it, it is kind of mixing up two kinds of enthusiams - and while of course it is totally normal to use postcards to share your passions, and you are perfectly free to do so, it is just not the place to necessarily expect the same enthusiasm back :slight_smile: (like it is on… does last.fm still exist? Or other places with profiles based on music).

Aaaall that said… Once I got a postcard from a girl in China saying that she was often singing a certain song, she wrote the music for it and the words on the card, and I realised days and days later that she had added a QR code where I could actually listen to the song! I admit it was genius. But I only noticed the QR code when I showed the card to my partner (because he pointed it out), I had completely ignored it (I tend to ignore stickers and stamps, anything that is not words really).
Yes, that card was memorable and really cool to receive, but it was the whole context. If someone goes “hey, I love this song, listen to it”, I might or might not do so. Or last 20 seconds because I dislike the song (again, nothing wrong with such interactions).
But it reminded me of when one of my closest friends gave me as a present a CD of an album she really loved, and I really disliked it and ended up giving it away years later. I found it so odd that, having known me so long, she wouldn’t realise I wouldn’t like that kind of music. I know it’s different, but that’s something I am very conscious of, the music that means a lot to someone means nothing to someone else.

3 Likes

Maybe a postcrosser wouldn’t like the song I would share with them with the code. But on the other hand, there’s a chance he or she might love the song and would not have known about the song if I hadn’t shared it. But I won’t know if I don’t share the song. You can sometimes tell a lot about people by listening to their favorite songs, People on Postcrossing like to tell a little about themselves in their postcards. I think that sharing some of my favorite songs is like sharing a part of myself because my very favorite songs are really representative of who I am. A postcrosser could probably tell more about who I am by listening to one of my favorite songs than by anything I could write on a postcard.

1 Like

Also, whether a postcrosser would like your song or not, I would think that some people are just curious about the music people are listening to in other countries.

3 Likes

I’d only send them to people who ask for a favourite song or mention a musical interest.

I don’t use Spotify but I do sometimes look up songs that get mentioned on cards.

I think those stickers codes are a lovely idea.
I mean, we have profiles talking about our preferences, favorite books, movies, other hobbies, and we ask postcards with certain themes. Would be awesome, for a change, to get to know a little bit more from the sender, based on the music they like.

2 Likes

I love everything about this! I would be so happy to receive a Spotify code or even a written music suggestion on a postcard. You’ve inspired me to update my profile to note that I use Spotify and love sharing music. I will absolutely be using those stickers in my snail mail going forward. Thank you!

4 Likes

In my quest for Spotify code stickers, I also found these:

You can customise them. These are from a Dutch company but I’m sure there are similar services abroad.

9 Likes

Great! Spotify code postcards. Maybe I can find some in the US.

1 Like

I just found some more Spotify code postcards. The company is in Hong Kong but they accept payments in US dollars. Custom Spotify code Music Cards Magnetic Tape Style Purple | PhotoBoxer These are for people who’s favorite singer is the same as yours though. They have “This is our favorite voice.” printed on them.

1 Like

Is this directed at me?

No. I’m just letting people know that they should only send those particular ones that I linked to to on the Hong Kong site to someone who has the same favorite singers as themselves. Those aren’t for just anyone you want to share music with.

Okay. I’ve ordered my customized postcards at the Dutch company and will show them here when I’ve received them!

2 Likes

I didn’t even know these existed, but this is kind of cool! They’re basically just a barcode or QR code, but the fact that they can be scanned from the app and the song starts to play immediately is super neat. I’ll consider making a few as well. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@LovesMusic1 This is a fun idea. Maybe start a tag to get the ball rolling and build enthusiasm for others to get a code of their own. This way your cost is limited to those who would enjoy most

5 Likes

Since you asked for opinions, thought I’d add mine. Without being mean, I’d like to say that the concept of Postcrossing is contact through “snail mail.” There are lots of other ways to communicate - email, text, and a host of social media sites. But, the fun of Postcrossing is getting a piece of mail that was sent days (or months) ago that has a little slice of someone’s life on it. I get that music is an amazing way to link people, but I don’t think this is the platform for it - UNLESS - a person mentions it in their profile. All that being said, I love that every postcard I receive is an individual interpretation of that person’s reaction to my profile. If someone tells me a favorite song or book or artist, I may check it out, but a $1 Spotify sticker would be wasted on me. And, that’s MY opinion!

3 Likes

My order came today.

6 Likes