Special option for people living on the border

Completely understandable! I live very close to Belgium as well, but when I checked the rates for Belgium I almost fell off my chair! I really feel sorry for the postcrossers in Belgium. When I first started postcrossing the rate in Germany was 75 cents… But 95 isn’t that bad either, if I check the prices in other countries.

2 Likes

Jepp, we are fortuned with the German posting rates. I think, this a reason why there are a lot german postcrossers with such a great amount of cards.

1 Like

Why don’t you just explain it briefly in the text? This is about connecting and learning and it would be curious for many people.

1 Like

:joy: @boeboe I find this very very interesting! Your life style that is! I would love to have options like that. Wake up and say, ohhhh I think I’ll go over to Canada this morning and do a little shopping and maybe tonight I’ll have dinner in Mexico!

Keep doing YOU @Boeboe! Keep us confused! :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t understand this part… You could use the travel mode to send, then switch it off so you can receive.
But it seems in a later post that you decided to just keep doing what you’re doing :slight_smile:

I am upset that people get upset about this, but some do! I don’t understand it at all, I also agree that all we have to do is send a postcard and circumstances like living near a border do make it all very interesting! So I agree that you should just carry on because that’s the way it works for you. If some recipients are bothered by that, I’m sure they can get over it and maybe realise that the world is much wider and varied than their obsession for everything matching (id-card-stamp).

2 Likes

Dear @elikoa when I go in travel mode, I need to go over the border to request addresses, go back home and write the cards, and then go back. I live close to the border, but not that close that it’s just a 5-minute walk. It’s more like a 15-20 minute way by bicycle. And after people here responded quite understanding, I decided to not worry about it anymore. I just write, and explain why it is like it is.

@Solo1959 Thanks a lot! I must say the Netherlands and Belgium are really close to each other. There’s a French and a Flemish part, while Flemish is just a dialect of Dutch. So the products I find in Belgium and the food are often the same as in the Netherlands, only the French influences sometimes are a bit different. Germany has a lot of different stuff food-wise. They are big on sausages and also got all kinds of beer. I live close to the Belgium and German border. It’s quite nice!

@Boeboe I think it’s wonderful! Now please explain why people have a problem with this. I don’t understand?

1 Like

Well you can turn off the option to get cards from your own country. I have the Netherlands turned off, because I have nothing interesting to sent to them. But the Germans that have Germany turned off for this reason, will still get a card from Germany. Though I always sent something Dutch. :slight_smile: But I feel like it could be annoying for some of them but in the German language forum everyone was really understanding. :slight_smile: So I think it’s no problem. Just me being to… worried about it.

Stop worrying about it. That would be like me when I cross the state borders here, except we all have the same stamps. Just do you.

2 Likes

Do not make your mind up too much! Show the world, that the Netherlands is more than Holland and show the Hollanders that there is also Limburg!

2 Likes

Sure, that doesn’t work, but I was thinking of the point about not receiving cards, you can receive cards when you turn off the travel mode :slight_smile:

I don’t understand either but I have seen someone complain about something that was probably this exact case, Belgian ID and German stamps, or anyway something similar. This person complained that it is not correct and when I explained that all we need to do is send a postcard and the rules say nothing about matching ID/stamp/etc she said she thinks it’s implied… It makes my blood boil. I could understand if someone prefers something over something else but it doesn’t exactly matter as it’s such a small thing…but complaining that they think something is basically done on purpose against the rule when it so clearly is not… I really can’t understand why it would matter that much anyway. Someone took time (and money) to send me something, likely there is a reason why the ID doesn’t match (like living on the border or buying the card on holiday), why question it?
Sorry about the rant ahah, they really make me want to scream :smiley:

5 Likes

There are even people, who live in Belgium and work in Germany. They cross that border twice a day easily without even seeing customs staff, for there are no border controls. But there are people, who never lived near a border and cannot imagine that people cope with borders every day without problems.
And there are narrowminded people, but their narromindedness should be their problem, not ours!

6 Likes

When I get a card with ID and stamp from neigbouring Countris my first assumption is the person lives near the border or commutes between the two countries. I do not see a problem in this.

6 Likes