"speak" in profile changed to "you can write in"

As a native English speaker, I ‘speak’ in a profile comes across as the same as ‘You can write to me in these languages’. I ‘read’ while technically correct seems awkward. Someone who, say, lived in Japan and can carry on a conversation well enough, but never learned many Kanji, should just not mention Japanese at all if it concerns them (as an example).

A further example of how I might word a situation: English, and Arabic, Lithuanian, Quechua (native speakers only for those three, thanks!)

2 Likes

To me too, and I even believe this is the intention, but if it is unclear for someone, maybe something could be made to it be more clear.

This is exactly what I meant. You would still have to mention it somewhere in your profile text, which is what you already currently have to do if you want only certain people to write in a certain language. Implementing this suggestion wouldn’t eliminate the need to clarify which languages you want to be used and when (that is only if you are easily offended by such things, of course). To me it doesn’t seem to be an improvement in that sense.

If someone is offended by a card written in a certain language, I think it would be fair (and quick and easy) to simply state that in their profile. It makes no sense to assume that the sender should know not to write in a language that’s not their mother tongue, for example. If someone doesn’t want to mention that, then they just have to accept the fact that people will write to them in any of the languages they’ve listed. That’s just how I see it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

But if not all are allowed to write Ainoan, I wouldn’t have it in the “short” info.
Now some people list there languages only some are “allowed” to use.
The problem is that not all are willing to explain this, and they then write “badly” about people who use wrong language. The language they have in their speech bubble :).

(I normally look these information parts, and choose the language. So even if there are “restrictions” later, to not use that, I might miss it. )

Of course I can think that if they are not willing to write about it in their profile, they just need to put up with it and not complain here being offended, but I tried to take this understanding approach today :slight_smile: :grin:

If missing it while reading the profile text is a common and reoccuring problem, I think that would become evident for the profile holder pretty quickly (keeping getting cards written in that language by non-native speakers). In that case, they could easily choose to do it this way:

I have some additional details in my language information box, too, like this: “English, Deutsch, svenska, suomi, saan aru eesti keelest, jeg förstår også dansk og norsk” - that way I can also include the languages that I do understand but don’t really speak that well. :slightly_smiling_face: Those who want only native speakers to write in a certain language have an opportunity to do that, too. Then this information wouldn’t be easily missed.

1 Like

That would work if people would write so, but now some don’t :slight_smile:

Personally, I don’t see an improvement there, as in German it is common to ask what languages you “speak” as an umbrella term for language understanding in various forms.
So for me this is a very natural term and does cover the primary intention which languages can be used on cards. And also helpful when organizing meetings, to learn who could help with international guests.

It could even discourage people from trying out languages they are not perfect in, because the term “write” for me would imply a much more formal knowledge of the language, grammar etc.

As for people who want to be addressed only by native speakers in a particular language because otherwise it is offensive for them … this is to me a different issue and I agree with others’ suggestions on how to word this in the language box.

2 Likes

This is true in English too. When we say, “What languages do you speak?”, we typically are really asking, “In which languages are you able to communicate?”

2 Likes

I think people are misunderstanding me a little.
It isn’t a matter of speak/write or what verb to use in describing your knowledge of a language, but what languages one mentions there, and in what conditions.
The most clear way would be: I won’t be offended when you write to me in …
If someone writes they “speak” German, ok. But why mention it there, when I am not allowed to write in German? If they are offended if someone writes German?

Recently I’ve felt discouraged to use any other language than English, because people were offended when non native wrote a greeting (?) with wrong language. That they assumed was not their native language.

It would be an improvement in that way, that the sender knows that it is acceptable to write in any language in the speech bubble. Also the profile writer would know, these are languages they accept to receive cards in, and no room for being offended.

1 Like

maybe “what languages can you understand?”

for example, although i am not confident in expressing myself solely in french, i can confidently understand it when it is written or spoken to me. i put french in my profile to encourage others who want to write to me in french. as a bonus, it helps me exercise my french language muscles that i dont normally get to do in my daily life.

to me, “speak” isnt the defining factor for being able to read a postcard written in french. i believe it is called receptive bilingualism and is really common for people who grew in households where there is more than one language spoken at home.

Again, you are trying really hard to solve a problem that I don’t think is a Postcrossing problem. Now a tiny few people might make it their own problem but that doesn’t make it a problem for all of us.

5 Likes

I think I know what you’re refering to and I felt like you. I am always so happy when I can write in another language than German or English and I like to take those opportunities to use another one.
Before I read that (being offended by use of “wrong” language) some time ago, I’d never have thought anyone might be offended if I use a language they stated as one they speak! But ever since I do feel uncomfortable when I use another language and that really makes me sad. So I won’t bother. If they don’t say “no Spanish/French/Finnish from Germany”, they’ll get any of these languages we both understand.
I understand your feelings, but I fear there is no way we can change that people feel like that because many won’t state it clearly anyway, yet still think it must be “obvious” when it isn’t.

2 Likes

No, not trying really hard, I already came up with the solution :smile:
If it’s complained here, I think it can be considered as postcrossing problem. It doesn’t have to be a problem for everyone, before it’s dealt.
But I understand if we can take the attitude not caring.

You might have a point.
And this makes me return to my thinking these people maybe really aren’t offended then in the first place, they just want to show what others do wrong :frowning:
Maybe I’ll carry on thinking like this, and if someone is offended by my card, it’s only their problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe instead of changing the word and/or replace a speech bubble with a pen, there could be a “more information”-button with some additional explanation what this “speak” does mean. Here is already a question under that, but since there seems to be some lack of clarity.

2 Likes

Yes perhaps replace the “what languages do you understand?”
with “write here the languages you would like to receive your cards written in”.

1 Like

This was the point I was also trying to make but I said it differently.

This! I remember this discussion very well. I felt like you. So I can understand very good your suggestion.

1 Like

It seems öike the tiny problem is big enough to be discussed! :slightly_smiling_face:

That misses the point.

I think I also saw once sign language. It was nice to know, I speak sign language too, but you can hardly write sign language.

I think the speach bubble is just for a short overview and things like sign language or only mother tongue should use their language or others things the member prefer should be written in the profile, as mentioned before.