✅ Something's off with the flag images

I think this was changed recently, yesterday maybe. The flag colors seem off. I’m seeing this on latest Chrome (PC and Android phone), I also checked on Firefox (PC) for comparison.

The blue in Russia looks greenish, France and Netherlands are weird too, US looks pixelized, Japan and Taiwan (and a few others too) have an extra dark line underfoot.

Same behaviour on sent/received pages.

11 Likes

“Old” version for comparison:

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right.

I made a picture this morning for another topic from the russian flag.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 08-03-51 Bille's traveling postcards

EDit: This is Russia from yesterday

2 Likes

I see the light blue in the Russian flag too right now. Interesting enough the light blue version of Russian flag is actually an old version of it (1991-1993, it was also longer) and dark blue is the current version

1 Like

So it’s not only me who saw the strange colors of the flags this morning when I went to the website. I thought something had happened to my eyesight :sweat_smile: Obviously something happened to the flags.

Macau flag is almost unrecognizable

4 Likes

Antarctica has a flag now on the site, though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I noticed that too, especially the USA flag which looks like it has part of the Uruguay flag stuck to the bottom edge of it. It is interesting, because Uruguay is right after United States in alphabetical order.

10 Likes

In fact that looks to be true for other flags in your screenshot too: for example, the black stripe at the bottom of the Japanese flag there is from the top of the Jordanian flag.

6 Likes

It’s good to know that you guys spotted it as well - initially I thought that maybe my laptop needs to be replaced after 6 years… :sweat_smile:

I hope that it will be fixed soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I now have a whole new view of the flags. Not only did they have a different color tone, they also got completely different colors or different pictures. There are some completely different symbols, that don’t belong in the flag!

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-14 um 15.25.38
Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-14 um 15.25.44
Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-14 um 15.26.00

6 Likes

I remember that for the team it is good to state through which browser you enter the site.

On both my iphone and Mac Safari all looks as usual:

4 Likes

Love that Finland flag :grin::heart:

3 Likes

I noticed that yesterday and was wondering what it was! Great eye!

2 Likes

I’m wondering what our governments will think about the new flags :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

But really, I’m deeply wondering if this is a conscious permanent change or some technical problems? @paulo I’m very curious. It is quite irritating to the eyes. (I’m using Chrome)

Sorry for only looking into this now, but it’s been pretty packed days.

Indeed, we have replaced the existing flags with ones from a different source to fix long standing issues with missing flags and some outdated ones (although this set is likely to have some outdated ones too as there are regular changes). The new set also comes with large versions of them which we plan to use later in country pages.

Some of the issues reported are a bit unexpected though.

Extra line from a different flag
This shouldn’t be happening and I’m not quite sure what’s triggering that for only some of you. I have however made some changes today that should help with this. Those that were seeing that extra line at the bottom, can you check now?

Complete wrong/mixed flag

Uh… what? :flushed: My best guess is that some cache issue was messing up things. Those that experienced this, can you check now after the changes I did today? If you still see that, can you try hard refreshing the browser and/or clearing the browser cache/temporary files?

If that still fails to fix it, then please let me know the exact device (including model) you are using as I’ll need to know the screen resolution and pixel density of it to try to make sense of what may be causing it.

Inaccurate colors
That caught us by surprise as we were aiming to improve the flags with a more accurate set which seemed to use the exact color codes used by each flag. We did a side by side comparison but missed this.

It will be tricky for us to fix these issues if the provider of the flags doesn’t fix it too. I will come back to this one once get the 2 points above cleared up.

8 Likes

Hi @paulo,

this is the new look of my flags now:

They look okay in style. Are the colors correct? I have no comparison or do they seem stronger than usual? :thinking:

I emptied my caches, but I don’t think that’s the reason. :+1:
Sometimes I use my Samsung cell phone and sometimes a MacBook or iPad, it’s the same view on all of them.

However, I think the colors are now okay as they are (for me). What I found worse, was the totally weird display of different flags mixed together. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Thank you for your commitment and constant help here in the forum. It is not a matter of course, that you constantly take care of everything so quickly and be there for the forum members. this also applies to all @moderators :wink:.

Thank you very much! :+1::pray:

3 Likes

The extra bottom line is gone for me too. And I noticed the :uzbekistan: flag is now no longer black. I had to google it, I was so used to the old image I didn’t realize it wasn’t correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I had screenshots from before, I put them side by side for comparison. This is best seen on the flags of the USA and Belarus, they are completely illegible and the colors are “heavy”. On the right you can see how clear and eye-friendly the flag was. Now the worst is with shades of green and different kind of blue, for example Macau as I added before. Sometimes now it’s hard for me to recognize which country it is. On the occasion it just caught on how weird Switzerland looks now

This is not really a suggestion, but I noticed that some flags which appear on Postcrossing are actually old flags. It is the case for instance for Mauritania and Martinique.

This is the new flag of Martinique (the former one was more beautiful in my humble opinion by the way :blush:):

And this is the flag of Mauritania:
:mauritania:
I don’t know if it is possible to change these flags @meiadeleite (it may not be the most urgent thing, but this will make Postcrossing an even more perfect site :smile:)

8 Likes