Similar handwriting from people in the same country

Really? Another factor to the survey! Fantastic!

2 Likes

I think it is because if counting to ten I will start with left hand and when palms are up continuing counting (six, seven…) with the index finger on the right hand is like… obvious thing to do, because with palms up on both hands index fingers are beside each other.

1 Like

Many thanks!!! But It is NOT neccesary. I make a new post with a real survey.

Thanks for your time. Postcrossers are really kind!

UPDATE: German postcrossers are really kind! (And you send the BEST and strange cards. I always like to receive a German postcard!)

3 Likes

i guess i aways recognize a postcard from Japan. the japanese have a very beautiful and even handwriting, which can only be envied. once i received a postcard from a japanese woman and at first i thought that the text was printed, not handwritten. :relieved:

4 Likes

Here is the new topic: https://community.postcrossing.com/t/how-do-you-count-three/550722

3 Likes

I don’t use cursive when writing my cards but I do use the cursive form for some letters like the backward “F”. It’s just a habit.

When I was a child cursive was a requirement to learn. I was shocked when my own girls told me it isn’t taught anymore and the reason it even came up is that I wrote them a note in cursive and they didn’t know what it said.:laughing: I guess the country doesn’t care if we can read historical documents and hey, now my husband and I can pass notes that my kids can’t understand.

8 Likes

Germany?! You really think so? I agree when it comes to numbers, because we basically learn it the same way in school. But the handwriting is soooo different! Here’s my personal Top 3:

• Taiwan
  • Russia
  • USA
3 Likes

When I first started post-crossing I got a postcard in cursive but somehow I could interpret it. However, a postcard that was impossible to interpret came and was helped by a translator, but it was impossible to interpret, so I could only send a hurray called Happy postcrossing. Since then, I can’t recognize the cursive in the introduction… I added the sentence, “I would appreciate it if you could write a postcard in block letters.” And I think each country has a different way of writing 1 and 7. Sometimes there are many ways to write four degrees.Since most people do not learn English cursive writing in Korea, most people will not recognize it if they write in cursive

2 Likes

Wow, I found so many compliments for Japanese people’s writings here! They’re nice of you all to say :blush: Thank you very much!

Why Japanese people write the same way is maybe because people were taught the same way. I don’t think there are many way of writing Latin alphabets here :thinking:

If our writing is easy to read, maybe it came from Japanese letters. There are 72 kinds of letters, and some of them are very similar.
For example, リ ソ ン are different ones, though they look very similar. 1st graders practice a lot so that they can write them differently. I suppose such practice made the writings clear and readable.

13 Likes

i do not know

The 3 fingers is the same as American Sign Language. :grin:

I absolutely adore Japanese members’ handwriting. And I do agree that handwritings are kinda similar country wise. I was revisiting some of my recent postcards and thinking the same.

1 Like

Yes,yes! This was going through my mind!

The way people are taught at school how to write and the country’s language system play a huge role here!

Thanks to the alphabet, Japanese penmanship is one of the most accurate.

2 Likes

Yes, but nevertheless it is a certain type of handwriting and it will be recognized, especially from people in other countries with a different style.

I remember a similar discussion with relatives and friends from other countries and they showed me some differences what it makes so recognizable and yes, they were right. Even if I’ve forgotten the details over the decades it is always in one corner of my brain and since then I also see the differences. Since I do Postcrossing even more of course.

2 Likes

I have three cards from Germany now & the handwriting on each of them is absolutely perfect. It is also almost identical on each of the cards. It was a pleasure to read these cards!

1 Like

I am from Germany and have a horrible handwriting. A coincidence, I think…

1 Like

I prefer to write by hand in cursive. Called “Schreibschrift” in Germany.

But many postcrossers ask for block capitals. Then I use these too.

Numbers are also often different.
I often mix up 1 and 7 in the second line.

3 Likes

My highschool had a sizeable Korean population and in my personal observation, their handwritings are pretty similar to each other. As a Filipino, I don’t think our handwritings are distinguishable at all
One thing I know for sure is that I don’t know anyone who writes their a’s like this