Show us your handmade postcards and Mail Art

I use all kind of materials, cardboard from food package or from other articles or free ads postcards, my favorite, boring postcards, every piece of cardboard actually I cut into the size of a regular postcard. @Yaroslavnaa

1 Like

This is genius! Thank you very much for sharing. And the glued elements do not fall off along the way?

1 Like

Most of the time: no :slightly_smiling_face: Some people use a paper cover with washi tape around to hold. It seems to work, I myself haven’t done that yet, but yesterday I received one with such a cover and I just had to remove it.
Sometimes I use mod podge for a protection layer. Hope my answer will help you to start with your own handmade postcards.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this washi tape and can’t even imagine what it looks like :thinking: in my understanding, the only way out is to send it in an envelope

I think @wurzelsofie can maybe help you by showing how a covered postcard looks like. An envelope can be okay, but many Postcrossers want a postcard written and stamped without an envelope.

Have a look through here and you’ll find many threads that should answer your questions about how to get started.

I don’t keep scans of my cover sheets. Basically you cut out a piece of paper the size of your postcard and attach it all the way round with washitape. This way the card can travel written and stamped without an envelope and the front side won’t get damaged by sorting machines, or rain etc.

:green_heart: :fox_face:

4 Likes

If the elements are flat and normal paper, they 100% won’t fall off, don’t worry. Shiny paper, plastic… may not hold very well, but you would feel it. They would be sliding and peeling already in your hands. The only glued thing that I sent and didn’t survive the post without an envelope was a dried leaf. I have also received mail with missing or broken wax seals. But those are both quite exotic materials :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found an example for you concerning covers!:smiley:

It’s made by @mostoseta

9 Likes

I actually use the cardboard Australia Post puts in with the Maxicards I buy - One side is blank, the other has the names of the places/objects that are on the cards. I just cover up the side that’s already printed on and write on the blank side.

This is one of my stamp collages, most of them were self-adhesive and the way I get the paper off leaves the glue behind so I just stick them straight back on. for the older ones (like the green 2c QEII) I just used a regular glue stick. I haven’t had any of these arrive yet so I’m yet to receive feedback on how they travelled.
My cross-stitched cards or the Totoro I shared above were sent in home-made envelopes to people who indicated they didn’t mind, or even preferred an envelope to be used.

9 Likes

I made this card today…

20 Likes

Another washi tape handmade arrived to dear @Sigiriya, homage for Mikhail Vrubel’s “The Demon seated” (The Demon Seated - Wikipedia)

32 Likes

My first handmade cards

We can swap if you like them

13 Likes

Dutch wildlife

18 Likes

If you are interested and like a card, I would exchange it for another handmade one. :grin:

18 Likes

Both arrived by now, some late Christmas cards I made…
:woman_shrugging::sunglasses:

15 Likes

Wow I feel so inspired! I should give it a try too, collages and multiple stamps are looking so cool!

Made those today :slight_smile: thank you cards !!

11 Likes

For the love of cats and houseplants

30 Likes

Received by now, a late Christmas card

20 Likes

These are soooooo cute!! Nice work

2 Likes