Should I send an pm or not , if my card is not registered?

Hello,

I am quit new here at postcrossing and I’ve send two cards wich already should be at arrived already. Should I send an pm or do I have to wait an little bit longer? Sorry, it may is an dumb question but as I already said I am quit new at postcrossing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, welcome to the Postcrossing Community!
Since how many days does your card travel now? And which country does it go to?
Cards that leave Europe unfortunately have a very long traveling time at the moment and often take longer than 60 days.
If you like to write and receive more cards until your cards get to their recipient, feel free to join the various forum games, for example #games-activities:tags oder #games-activities:round-robins.

2 Likes

Thank you @reisegern for your reply :), it has been to Russia and Ireland and I’ve send the cards 1 May. I will have more patience then. I send 3 other cards outside of Europe as well but I will give it 60 day’s then per card outside of Europe before I send an message. Thank you for the info and I will look at the topics at the swap or games topic :smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately Postcrossing is a lot about learning to be patient. If your card to Russia goes to Moscow or St. Peterburg, it may arrive soon. All other places can take two to three months. Ireland should get through soon. But then you never know about the recipient: Will they register their cards soon after receiving them - or will they wait a while? (There are so many reasons for registering cards late.)

7 Likes

I see, well then I need to have more patience then lol :rofl:

1 Like

You can do it! I, too, felt rather impatient at first, but I did learn it’s all part of the joy.
Think of the merits of delayed gratification. Always worthwhile. Like waiting for your next birthday… :partying_face:

5 Likes

True true, I will be more patience from now on :smile:

2 Likes

You can check when your recipients are seen last time. One of mine isn’t seen more than a month.

3 Likes

Ah okay, thanks for the tip. Will do that as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

And if you want to receive some cards quicker, check out the various swaps from the Forum. For example there are Tags where someone might tag you who’s from your same country or a neighboring country, and you should get their cards much sooner.

1 Like

Hi @MizzB,

3 weeks is really a short period for postcrossing. Don’t worry, it can really work out.

I will tell you my experience from a while ago:
I had sent a postcard via postcrossing to someone in the Crimea (also Russia). After a while my card was still not registered and I saw that this person had received other cards from my country in the meantime. These cards were sent later than mine. Only after about 300 (!) days did I send that person a PM that I had sent a card. This person then registered my card after all (which was not the intention, because the card had not arrived). After 1 year and 4 days they sent me a message that my card had finally arrived.
And luckily it doesn’t happen often, but sometimes postcards just never get to their destination …

6 Likes

It was more the concern of that they have received the card but thanks for the tip :smiley:

O wauw… well the card you’ve send did arrive but I still have to learn things I see :rofl:. I really enjoy postcrossing but I don’t want to disappointed someone if the card doesn’t arrive :slight_smile:

Most postcards DO arrive, it just takes some time!
And the only one who gets disappointed when the card doesn’t arrive is you. The addressee does not know that you are sending a card. (unless you send that person a PM, of course) :blush:

3 Likes

That was my question, too! My “sends” were really far away, for the most part & I’m starting to get really antsy because until those are received & registered I’m sitting here without any postcard mail coming back, :rofl: Being just a tad impatient myself I initiated a swap - and altho offered limited exchange I got a LOT of response & decided to just send to all. That satisfied me a little bit. I don’t like cobwebs in my mailbox

3 Likes

My very first card I sent went to Russia and it took 7 weeks to get there so just be patient.
I know it’s hard.

2 Likes

You can send a message asking if it was received (but not asking to register a card they haven’t received, that is against the rules :)) but you can also just leave it. I rarely send a message because I think it is useless: if it is received, they will register it - if not, then it’s lost (and the few times I sent a message, in my early days, I didn’t get a reply anyway). Mail does get lost, in the last year I had about 10 cards that never made it.

If you really want to send a message and ask, I would wait at least 3-4 months, depending also on the country. Sometimes cards take that long, and even longer, especially nowadays. Worrying after 3-4 weeks is absolutely unnecessary - yes it is boring to wait but that’s what mail is and has always been.

4 Likes

I just hope the card arrives, but I know now that it take longer then usual :slight_smile:. And while waiting I can do swaps and looking for other postcards to send :smiley:

2 Likes

Glad I wasn’t the only one who had that question :rofl:

1 Like

I am really new in the postcrossing world, but I think after all the answers I leave it just as it is :slight_smile:.if it arrives: yeah! :smiley:. Is it doesn’t, it can happen sometimes, or that there is an huge or small delay. In meantime I can do swaps and reading and answering some topics on the forum as well :smiley:

2 Likes