Shame we don't get many African countries taking part

I just donated all the services mentioned here and will keep my fingers crossed for the postcards arrive in their time. :postbox:

1 Like

A couple of days ago I received two out of the three postcards I ordered from Botswana. The first one had already arrived in November, so they took between two and a half and three and a half months to arrive in Germany. Theyā€™re absolutely beautiful, arrived in good condition despite their long travel time and the owner of the site wrote some lovely and informative text on all of them. :relaxed: :sparkles:

11 Likes

No I think itā€™s important that the original thread with all the pieces of the discussion in it stay together.

2 Likes

I sent money to the organisations listed here and got my postcards from Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania and Mali. Still waiting for Botswana. Feels good to help, and the postcards are a bonus :smiley:

Is there another thread for a list of organisations from all over the world we can help in exchange for a postcard? That would be awesome!

2 Likes

Wow that is a low number of contributors considering they ask for such a small amountā€¦

1 Like

Well itā€™s only the # of Forum members who contribute - the number is likely higher than that for the whole membership, but yes, I think more people should support Postcrossing given the benefits we receive, especially those in the Forum who are very active.

Many, many Postcrossers could afford to.

4 Likes

Honestly i love sharing and receiving postcards and many people like too but challenge comes with buying a postcard and paying for the stamps , it is hard to do frequently and also here in Uganda few people can afford paying for the annual post box fees , i share my post box with like 8 friends and they all got to know about post crossing from me , i have two lady friends i just told them very recently but they are very active ,almost every week they send and receive post cards .

14 Likes

we pay only for parcels , books and other stuff , for postcards and letters you just pick

2 Likes

buying a postcard is around 0.7 dollars and buying stamps for example to Europe is 1 dollar and to Asia, Russia , USA is 1.3 dollars

5 Likes

A few weeks ago a listened to an Africa Daily podcast about the currently inflation in many African countries and the arising of sachet economy. I donā€™t recall if Uganda was affected, but I bet so, given that inflation is a global issue.
However, I feel that north western approach towards Africa is either of a picturesque place (yes, just one place), either of a miserable place (again, yes, just one). I mean, we received just two kinds of information: safari pictures and war and refugees pictures. Maybe some of the comments on this thread come from that view
I would recommend to search for African news made for African people in order to get a wider view. English is, after all, official language in several African countries and, therefore, we can access to those pieces of news easily. It doesnā€™t solves the matter, Iā€™m aware that my own believings about Africa are still really simplistic and narrow, but it helps a littleā€¦ At least, now I know my own views are simplistic and narrow.

7 Likes

Uganda was affected too, inflation is much , a simple example i can give is the price of fuel , i donā€™t know how much it costs in other countries but here it raised to 3 dollars a litre and now it is 1.5 - 2 dollars a litre but it keeps fluctuating and before it was less than a dollar

3 Likes

Same here. Last year, filling my carā€™s tank costed around 60ā‚¬. Nowadays I cannot get it filled for less than 75.

1 Like

The famouse pandemic virus make restriccions

EspaƱa Spain is 2.10 euro to send USA. National send postamp 0,80 euro cent. 1,60 in europe only send.

1 Like

Spain is 0,75. Europe 1,65. Rest of the world 1,75 and some other countries 2,10.

But this is not relevant in this topic.

2 Likes

Many Africans countries have not Internetā€¦

Many Africans peoples have no money for a stampā€¦ and never heard about postcrossingā€¦

In a ideal world, of course it will be a pleasure to communicate by mail with Africa !

I remember there used to be this one website where you can donate money to a person anywhere in Africa for their necessities and in return, that person will send you a postcard from their country as a thank youā€¦I forgot the name of the website though

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea but, an I apologize if anyone has already mentioned this, the third link was marked by my browser as not secure and I was warned not to enter my credit card information.

2 Likes

Or the teacher could have the postcards sent to his or her home address.

Iā€™ve been with Postcrossing for over 8 years and Iā€™ve only received seven postcards from Africa. I think a lot of it has to do with the extreme poverty of the continent and the fact that there is not much disposable income plus the lack of Internet. The best ways to get postcards from there is to either visit yourself or seek out people who are willing to do trades and swaps with you. In the years to come if conditions improve perhaps we would see more people sending postcards from Africa.

1 Like