Setting your account in one country and send from another country?

In this specific case, I was sad because Monaco is rather rare on Postcrossing. Rater than Germany, France or Italy. I like to add to my list of countries on my Stats site and it felt like a missed opportunity.

But to answer your question: I would not be quite as sad to get a card from Germany (with German ID) but Italian stamps, but I still would be a little bit sad. I like the ID to match the stamps and cancellation :slightly_smiling_face:

In fact, I think it’s fantastic if someone can use this opportunity to participate in postcrossing on a regular basis.

Not everyone is privileged to send as many cards as they want regardless of the amount of postage or may live in a country with a poor postal system.

We should all be aware of this before we are “disappointed” about it the next time.

8 Likes

I don’t like statements like this, tbh. Just because I’m disappointed, it doesn’t mean I’ll forbid it to anyone or something. I’d like to keep the right to feel my emotions.
Sorry, I’m a bit sensitive regarding stuff like that. I’m sure you didn’t actually mean bad. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d say a card like that - written in Country B but travelling to its destination via Country A - makes it actually more attractive - the “postal complications” a sign of our times!

Myself I live in Country B. But so far I have only used the option to send via country A since the start of the pandemic - because the mail services of Country A are not only cheaper, but they deliver to more countries than our own. Having a few stamps left from my last visit to Country A, I used this option to stay in touch with pen-friends and do swaps in places where otherwise I wouldn’t be able to send.

However, the postage here is now double that of Country A. That may still be nothing compared to Country C, where the postage is five times that of Country A. But once the pandemic is over, I actually plan to travel to Country A, buy a few tonnes of stamps and start sending via Country A on a regular basis :slight_smile:

As somebody rightly said above - Postcrossing is about postcards!

4 Likes

So you got me wrong - sorry. I didn’t say or mean anything like that.

It does not disappoint me. And I certainly understand if it is much cheaper.

I think of it from the person of the Country–not where they place it in a mailbox.

5 Likes

I don’t live close to the german border, but if I did, I would certainly send my postcards with german stamps and a belgian ID.
One example: to send a postcard to the US would cost me 95 cents in Germany and 2,13 euro’s in Belgium. More than double the price.
So sorry for those who are disappointed, but I wouldn’t hesitate one second :smirk:

4 Likes

All fine! I hope it didn’t sound like I thought you thought so! I just wanted to express that I find it important to be connected to one’s feelings. Even if it’s just about postcards. :smiley:

1 Like

I must admit I did that two times. I sent a bunch of Swedish cards with Swedish IDs from Germany and also did it with a bunch of Danish cards with Danish IDs. In both cases I wasn’t aware of the high postage costs in both countries and my jaw dropped when I wanted to buy stamps. In Sweden I would have had to pay around 33 euros and in Denmark around 68 euros. Sending the cards from Germany cost me 13 euros respectively 16 euros. I’m sorry for all the people who want a matching set of picture/card, ID and stamp but I simply don’t have a cash cow.

4 Likes

Don’t worry :heart: Everything’s fine.

I’m just a bit short today due to some technical issues with my equipment. No time for detailed explanations today :sweat_smile:

1 Like

From the “About Postcrossing” page:
“The goal of this project is to allow anyone to send and receive postcards from all over the world! … Simply because, like its founder, there are lots of people who like to receive real mail.”

There is nothing about Postcrossing that suggests that the purpose of Postrcrossing is to facilitate exactitudes about geography, nor to facilitate serious postcard collecting or philately or exchange of stickers or tea bags, etc. However, there are many opportunities within the diverse fora topics to connect with other more serious collectors and/or to have fun such as to participate in an Infinite Thread, such as The Person Below Me, or to engage in specific exchanges, such as All About Women or, etc, etc. All these other opportunities are other ways to expand one’s own personal objectives beyond the stated mission for Postcrossing …

to send and receive postcards from all over the world! Blockquote

7 Likes

Wow, didn’t think this could get this many reply. Thank you all for replying!

And, cheers to all OCD fellows! It’s quite interesting and pleasant (yes, pleasant!) to read all types of OCD concerning to card/stamp/ID/text match. :smiley:

This made me think: why do we have to have all those country-and-region labels sticked to our profiles, and get IDs like CA-… or TW-… if these geography-related things are not important? Just simple numbers like 123456789 will do, right? Well I can think of lots of possible reason why, but at least my own OCD would be eased in this way. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see no problem with that. If I were in their situation and had the possibility to send cards for cheaper, I’d do it too.

1 Like

Personally it doesn’t matter - I’d rather see more people join and be able to send as many cards as they wish :slight_smile:

Were you sad because you hoped for a Monaco ID, or a French stamp?

1 Like

A Monaco ID.
I guess I wouldn’t have been as sad if I already had a card from there.

I totally understand everyone who sends their postcards from a neighboring country with - in part enormously - cheaper postage rates. The costs in some countries are crazy!

1 Like

I agree, it would be so cool to have an official card from Monaco!

i assume the sender lives in france, right? so in that case i would actually be happy with a monaco stamp, as it is quite rare. (otherwise i would understand you’re a bit disappointed though)

but thank you and everyone else for answering. i was honestly wondering if it’s a ‘everything needs to match thing’ or a ‘i care a bit less if it’s from a not so rare country thing’. but everyone’s answer is different. shows again there isn’t a one perfect way to send cards.

i recently got a card with a german id from the netherlands, if i remember correctly she lives and or works in both countries. maybe it’s because it’s from two common countries but i didn’t mind. and also she is from both countries so it’s not that strange.

Recarding my own little OCD sending card near border with mismatching ID and stamp is okay :sweat_smile: it is more about stats, travelling times and distances… For example you live in Country A and sending card from Country B w/ A’s ID and they aren’t even near each other. I think that might be difficult to my OCD and anxiety :see_no_evil: luckily that haven’t happened to me yet

I personally don’t care at all about things matching and such, but as above I think of the stats. I would never have sent a card from somewhere else without travel mode for instance, because I want the distance traveled to be correct. Also, some countries take longer to arrive, and the travel time stats would be way off if a slow country was registered in the column for a fast one, and vice versa.

3 Likes

…i would Not enjoy it…
that would Take away my Chance to actually get a Card from a Person in that country/sent from that country…