Sending postcards not from your own country

I do it often. I send postcards from different countries and even from different states. It’s fun to send and very interesting to receive them; I recently received a Belarusian maxicard that was sent to me from Washington state here in the U.S.

3 Likes

I only learned through Postcrossing that the Little Mole is Czech. And even though I know that now, the Mole doesn’t feel “Czech”; it feels “Childhood”. So I might very well send a Mole card to a Czech Postcrosser and telling them on the back, how much I loved the Mole when I was young, without thinking of the fact that I’m sending it “home”.

10 Likes

Basically this, but for me I’m adding that it is enough as long as there is some personal relation to the sender. Maybe they are fascinated by the place but never had the chance to go there, maybe they have relatives living there, or they got the card from a friend who loved it there and they want to share the recommendation. As long as there’s a story behind the card that the sender tells me, I think such cards can be great fun!

I would just find it a bit weird if no connection or reason at all was mentioned why the card was chosen.

5 Likes

For me, it really depends.

I usually prefer cards that show something of the country where the sender lives, but

• if you are travelling in another country, it’s ok to send a card of the place you are visiting. I don’t really mind if you are using travel mode or not. Well, this unless you live in a very rare country. It would be a pity to receive a card from your holiday in Germany if you could send one from your home in Lichtenstein :sweat_smile:
  • if you have just travelled in another country, it’s ok to receive a card from the place you visited, if you tell me something about the reason you choose that card. For example, once I received an English castle from the US. Castles are one of my favourite topics, and the sender explained they had just visited that castle during their holiday. That’s ok.
  • cards from my “special request” lists would be great if sent from the correct country, but fine from another country too.
  • cards with receips, famous paintings, stained glass… can be sent from any country

Instead I don’t really like to receive random cards of famous places from the wrong country (such as, you live in Germany, you bought a bounch of US cards on internet and you send me the Statue of Liberty) or cards about my own country (you live in Germany, and you send me a card of Rome)

4 Likes

I have to admit that the very first postcard I received from China was of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. I was a little disappointed because I would have loved something Chinese. But that was just my emotions speaking to me.

The fact is, he had to send me a postcard and he sent me a postcard. As Postcrossing frequently reminds us when we draw an address: “This is a periodic reminder that Postcrossing is about connecting, not collecting. It’s about embracing serendipity! Feel free to use profiles as inspiration, but please know that you can send any postcard you’d like or have available. Happy Postcrossing!”.

13 Likes

Same here. I once got a card from China showing the Lodon Eye ferris wheel and a card from the USA showing a Swedish town and in both cases there was no relation between the text side and the picture. That was a bit disappointing. Well, both were postcards and met the rules, so I regitered them and thanked the sender of course.

5 Likes

I might appreciate a domestic USA card from a vacation if it were along the lines of: ‘Hi! I tried the local speciality sandwich here called the King Queasy, featuring sliced beef tongue, blue cheese and peanut butter. Have you ever had one, or heard of it?’ :wink:

3 Likes

My opinion: stop to demand. Postcrossing is pleasure, hobby from soul. Every card is attention from sender- from your own country or from island in the middle of nowhere. I will never complain if someone travel in USA and send me interesting card. I will attach the card to my album with high appreciation!

8 Likes

Ha ha! Maybe they found good deal for California cards on Amazon :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t mind receiving postcards showing another country than where the sender lives , as long as she or he writes me the reason for that … been traveling there or not having other postcards available at the moment … or an addition to my collection/hobby mentioned in my profile ! . Anyway it’s better than not receiving because of been lost or other reason …

1 Like

This has happened to me too. I think it’s good and even healthy to admit it can be disappointing. Like you wrote, it’s just emotion. When the first emotion goes over, it can turn out to be a nice card.

I lately received two cards from not of the sending country. Both times my thought was they sent/chose this card to me by mistake. But then I understand they did have the card, it won’t be “right” country to anyone :smile: but I’m happy in a way, that my thought is this way, and not that they do it to punish me. (And I do like both these cards :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Sometimes I find old unused cards at the flea markets and love to use them for postcrossing. There are allways few from other countries, but no tourist crap, rather those old sepia-toned vintage postcards. If someone states in their profile that they dislike vintage or black & white cards I choose something else (and new) for them, but I find it very interestng to give those old cards a “new life” after they’ve spent decades somewhere in a box, waiting for the day to finally become a real postcard. :grinning: :mailbox_with_mail:

Sometimes, if no special wishes can be seen in the profile, I just take the first best card that is there (can be a tourist card from Spain) and concentrate more on the message I write to someone. At the end of the day, a postcard is a postcard is a postcard… :man_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

I sent a postcard of Mount Fuji to someone who wanted to travel to Japan one day. They liked it. I think we all do our best

8 Likes

Do you like getting a card from a place other than users home country? Or do you send it so?
i live in Germany but sometimes i send cards that I bought from another countries or cities in Germany.

2 Likes

I used to send not of origin cards officially, but I find that people prefer of origin

So now I will postmark not of origin cards with special postmarks and use them for lotteries, or to send in the Cool Postmark Tag

Or I might even send them in giveaways

I prefer postcards where the person lives.

For me, it was a little weird getting a card of the Egyptian pyramids from a postcrosser in Brazil. I would have preferred to get something from their own country, especially since it’s a “rare” country. I think I prefer a card from a postcrosser’s own country if it’s a rare country like those that are in in South America or Africa. If the postcrosser is in Europe, I don’t think it matters as much to me if the postcard is from their own country since I’ve already gotten dozens of postcards from these countries. I hope that makes sense.

1 Like

Both! I send cards from where I am or where I was and write what I did or liked there. It seems like the recipients are fine with that.
But I do not really like to get cards showing places where the sender never was.

1 Like

It depends.
If a card shows a piece of art or is an artistic photograph, I do not care at all where the card has been bought or the picture taken. I am just happy somebody sends something beautiful or remarkable.
If people have special wishes (a lighthouse, a ship); I will send whatever I find in my collection.
But otherwise I stick to places in Germany (or Finland, my second home). People do not seem to care whether it is my city or another one, thankfully.

4 Likes

I don’t mind, but if it is from somewhere other than where they mailed it, I like them to write their country on the back do I know where it came from.:relaxed:

2 Likes