See the name or user name of the sender when entering postcard number

Actually, it is the same in the USA, except when first meeting a new person (especially in formal settings) or when you are surprised to see a friend. If I go to a friend’s house we just greet each other with “Hi” but if I unexpectedly see them at a public event, I might say, “Hi Name!”

If you are introduced to a stranger it is considered polite to say “Nice to meet you, Name” and shake their hand (pre-pandemic) but especially among younger generations and in casual settings, just saying “Hi” without adding their name, and giving a little nod or wave, is far more common than the “polite” formal way.

I normally begin emails or PMs with “Hi Name,” and then move down a line, because I’m old fashioned about writing and want it to seem letter-like, but most people I know don’t even begin emails with “Hi” anymore, they just jump right in!

I always sign at the end of a card, and sometimes even introduce myself at the beginning, but I couldn’t care less whether someone uses my name in the hurray message. It doesn’t seem rude, it just seems like they aren’t in the habit of starting messages that way.

If I can’t read a sender’s name, I try to counter with enthusiasm: “Hi! Your card arrived in my mailbox today! I was very excited to receive it, because. . .” That way, in case they are someone who wants to be addressed by name, they’ll know I wasn’t trying to snub them.

I also got one hurray message where someone used my name with a question mark after it “Hello Tara(?)” which I thought was kind of sweet, that they cared enough to acknowledge they might not have made it out right. And if they had been wrong it would have smoothed over that awkwardness of “Oh no, now they’re going to see that they’re wrong and feel bad.”

4 Likes

Really? Wow, I find that weird :sweat_smile: That’s interesting though, how simple things like a greeting in the beginning of a letter or other kind of mail, changes with generations and time.

3 Likes

To me, the way I address people in Postcrossing depends on the register they use in their profiles. I ignore the proper way to address people in each culture… in many cases I’m not even able to recognise which is the name and which is the surname! So I let myself be guided by the profiles:
If, for instance, a profile is formal written or they give a lot of importance to their military rank, or I perceive a special pride on their high status job (Dr, PhD…) I address them as formally as I’m able.

I’m starting to feel like this would be great. I start my cards with a plainly written “My name is Elina” and do a less legible signature. Usually this helps.

Out of my latest batch of cards I’ve already had thanks addressed to Elisabeth and Kevan!

4 Likes

I don’t greet recipients by name, it’s either “Greetings from Florida!” or I jump right into the message itself. I do sign John at the end. I don’t address senders by name (often) in my Hurray messages either.

3 Likes

I think wrongly written names is just a part of Postcrossing, like expired and lost cards.
My city name is four letters, and it’s still surprisingly often written wrong. So it’s not always to blame the hand writing. I wouldn’t trust seeing the name would help muchly then.

I like that the Hurray is written for me, to my postcard, not to the image they maybe made of me here on the forum or of my profile :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Completely blank. Only signatures of meetup members on the cards.

I write my name very clearly in lower-case letters on almost every card I send. (Except the few where I sign in cursive.)

Despite this, the majority of my Hurray messages still start with “Hi,” or “Hello,” without my name, or with no greeting at all.

In fact, it’s so uncommon to see my name that I smile when I’m addressed: “Hello Adrienne!”

Since I have only ever sent internationally (almost 1800 cards) I wonder if it is a cultural difference.

1 Like

More and more I got address of people who use fake name on their address.
I think many people don’t want the world to know that they are here.
I also removed my full name from my address. Now I go with my ID only which is my real first name. Once I received postcard in which the sender asking my name. Sounds like “Yudi” is fake name since it’s not common name in Europe :smile:

1 Like

Ralf is certainly not very common in Indonesia, but so far no Indonesisn Postcrosser asked me if it is a fake name. It is not. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sometimes I write the correct name, but my cellphone automatically changes it to a more familiar name … And if I forget to control (very often…) The receiver may think I read their name wrongly. … very sad this. But it’s my fault as I need to control before sending!

4 Likes

And of course neither of them is a match to Kevan!

1 Like

I agree ,I think it doesnt distract to read the profile of someone before register the postcard,it would help on the contrary. Once I thought I was writing to a woman but the sender was a man actually and I saw that too late just after reading his profile.

I have requested on my profile that people include their username on the postcard. If I’m struggling to read their name I can look up their profile before I send the thank you message, and also make it more personal.

1 Like

Already suggested and discussed here:

See the name or user name of the sender when entering postcard number

There’s also discussions on whether it is a problem or not not to use people’s names here:

Avoiding cross-cultural faux pas

3 Likes

I’ve just suggested people include their username on postcards for exactly that reason.

Some members do this, and I think the ones who don’t, don’t care if they are greeted by their name or wrong name, or just hi.

Thank you very much to @Jarana for your words of wisdom!
I used to write just a Hello when I couldn’t read the senders’ name, but your ways are much much better. I’ll do the same for the next time :blush:

1 Like

This reply irked me a bit. I love writing, but my hands do not cooperate with my mind the way they once did, and i have always struggled with producing legible letters in the first place.

2 Likes

But then the signature isn’t the only thing hard to read, right?