See the name or user name of the sender when entering postcard number

Ralf is certainly not very common in Indonesia, but so far no Indonesisn Postcrosser asked me if it is a fake name. It is not. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sometimes I write the correct name, but my cellphone automatically changes it to a more familiar name … And if I forget to control (very often…) The receiver may think I read their name wrongly. … very sad this. But it’s my fault as I need to control before sending!

4 Likes

And of course neither of them is a match to Kevan!

1 Like

I agree ,I think it doesnt distract to read the profile of someone before register the postcard,it would help on the contrary. Once I thought I was writing to a woman but the sender was a man actually and I saw that too late just after reading his profile.

I have requested on my profile that people include their username on the postcard. If I’m struggling to read their name I can look up their profile before I send the thank you message, and also make it more personal.

1 Like

Already suggested and discussed here:

See the name or user name of the sender when entering postcard number

There’s also discussions on whether it is a problem or not not to use people’s names here:

Avoiding cross-cultural faux pas

3 Likes

I’ve just suggested people include their username on postcards for exactly that reason.

Some members do this, and I think the ones who don’t, don’t care if they are greeted by their name or wrong name, or just hi.

Thank you very much to @Jarana for your words of wisdom!
I used to write just a Hello when I couldn’t read the senders’ name, but your ways are much much better. I’ll do the same for the next time :blush:

1 Like

This reply irked me a bit. I love writing, but my hands do not cooperate with my mind the way they once did, and i have always struggled with producing legible letters in the first place.

2 Likes

But then the signature isn’t the only thing hard to read, right?

My point was that there may be no direct correlation between how legible the writing is and how important the message is to the sender. At any rate i wish you well in all of your endeavors, writing or otherwise.

2 Likes

But my point was only the signature!

2 Likes

Sometimes the message is very readable, but is signed with almost one or two letters and a line - in such cases I think it’s not important to them.

Some then tell their name in the start, and also in the end. Then maybe it could be more important.

2 Likes

Usually, the sender should sign the login on a piece of paper, but unfortunately not everyone does this.

this is kind of old thread anyway, but …

I would not say it’s very usual to mention one’s username on an offical card, I’d estimate less than 30% of my senders did it, I also hardly ever do it.

If it’s important to you, you could ask for the username in your profile text, so that future senders know and can consider it

3 Likes

No. I am not my username, so I do not sign with my username.

3 Likes

It’s rare to see sender’s username in the card. Even if it’s there, I don’t read their profile. I reply to the card, not their profile.

Also I prefer people reply to my card, not to my profile, or even worse, what they assume of me seeing me on the forum :frowning: as I have got few cards where they comments on my sent amount, one was sorry about my opinion here (?), I don’t want this to be on the Hurray too, so I like giving them a first new meeting :smile:

Only when it’s a profile member I remember, I try to write my username and that I have wrote with them in the forum.

5 Likes

Interesting… I always make nickname signature on the send postcards.

If no name has been written or it is not legible for me, then I write
“Dear postcrosser!”

1 Like