Taking Pictures / Scanning and Uploading of received and sent cards

When you register a card, If you see that it hasn’t been scanned by the sender, do you scan and upload it yourself?
And what’s about your sent cards?

7 Likes

Yes. I like to keep a virtual copy of each card.

12 Likes

Yes, I usually do. In that way people can see which cards have already been sent to me and sometimes I look at them myself to see how many different cards have reached me in the last few years. Just for fun
One time I deleted the image of a card because the nudity on the card was a bit too explicit to be part of my “wall” for all to see.

12 Likes

I scan my received cards just before I register them. I always upload my own scan right after registering (before anyone can like the original picture) because of multiple reasons:

1. I like scans more than photos (many people take photos)
  2. I like the look of the card after travelling
  3. I can be sure that the picture will be on my wall as long as I want it to (even after registering the sender may delete his/her uploaded picture, it’s very hard to find that exact card after weeks / months / years to re-upload it
  4. I like when all my scans have the same quality
25 Likes

that’s interesting, I thought the display of scans was a two-way thing. I hadn’t realised that if you upload your received card, the sender can delete theirs. I thought the receiver’s uploaded image over-wrote “the image”. Does that mean that if I upload a better image, and go to the sender’s page, their version will still be there? I am not making any sense at all…it’s been a long day.

2 Likes

I scan neither sent nor received cards - I must admit the reason for that is laziness… :joy:

12 Likes

I scan all of my received postcards before registering, but I only upload the scans after registering if the sender did not upload a picture before or the picture is a photo or a poor quality scan. (I also upload scans of all my sent cards–sometimes they get replaced by another scan by folks who like to show travel on their cards or to include the stamps. Only one person so far has completely deleted the scan. I suspect one of the recent people I’m sending a card to will upload their own creation to override my scan–they apparently like to photoshop all of their sent cards onto their own custom graphic border.)

2 Likes

I’m sorry but you’ve confused me here. You are sending a card to xyz. Then xyz likes to photoshop their sent cards?

Sorry. They like to photoshop all their received cards.

1 Like

I scan all cards if the card was not uploaded by the sender. Otherwise I scan cards matching mx collections to put them on Flickr

No :slight_smile: Let me explain…

Sender uploads original picture (A). Receiver sees there’s already a picture uploaded and decides to leave it there. After several months the sender decides to remove picture A. There will be no picture on either wall. Receiver really wants ALL cards to be displayed… now has to find that very card again, as there’s no picture anymore, needs to look at the ID of all cards received. That process is not funny :smiley:

2 Likes

I scan all my received cards and most of my sent cards. But if I see one received card already has a uploaded picture, I’ll probably just keep it.

I had not thought about that yet, it’s a good point.

1 Like

thank you! What would you do if the (received) card in your hand, is not the one displayed by the sender? This happened to me once. Also the other way around, the card on the receiver’s wall, was not the one which I sent.

1 Like

I haven’t got a scanner so I just take terrible photos of all cards going out or coming in.
I’m not offended when it gets replaced by a better one.

21 Likes

As I scan each and every card I receive, I would simply replace it :wink:

Well, one could only contact the receiver and ask to replace the picture with the correct card. But nothing else may be done. It never happened to me though.

1 Like

This happened to me. I assumed the sender sent postcards to several postcrossers and just mixed up the uploaded images. I just scanned the card I received and replaced the image.

1 Like

Theoretically I scan all my cards and put them into the Colnect postcard catalog. Practically my time is limited, so I prioritize what gets scanned: Cards in my stack first, then scards from my favorite collections (Postcrossing Meet-up cards and cards from the cities I have lived in). Everything else gets scanned when I have time, which hasn’t been for a long time… I do scan all outgoing cards (only relevant for cards specifically bought for that recipient, as my stack is always scanned) since I own a scanner.

Thanks to @Cassiopheia for pointing out that senders can delete teir images. I may replace their images with mine when I get to scanning…

If I remember correctly, I contacted the site (‘contact us’) and they sorted it out for me.

1 Like

I don’t own a scanner so I’d only take a bad photo of a card if it has no image when I receive it.
I don’t take photos of the cards I’m sending.

1 Like

I don’t have a scanner so I will rely on my phone, which I’ll take a photo of the postcard and then edit via a phone app. It is still not the best quality as compared to a scan, but that is all I can do for now.

To answer the question, yes because I would like to have a picture of every postcard I received (and sent as well), but I started this too late so I have many postcards which I sent which I no longer have the images of.

I also need to find time to trace back the other postcards which I have not uploaded an image of in the past before I went on the Postcrossing hiatus. I’ve been procrastinating that because I would have to dig through the stash to find the exact postcards, but I’ll definitely do it someday.

Oh yes, I will also replace the image if the sender has already uploaded but it is one with the background still visible, or if the image is of poor quality.

1 Like