[RR] North American May 2023 Round Robin - The Days Are Getting Longer Edition - Closed

26 received: 3, 8, 10, 18, 21, 25, 29, 30

3 @Cruzin - ooooo a james jean illustrated postcard! thank you so much, lori :pleading_face: i just love his funky art style (even the stranger stuff haha) - i love the way you styled the back as well :two_hearts:

8 @Shesa-Renegade - what an adorable selection of candies and goodies :candy: thank you so much, rené! i hope the culinary classes are going well~ the bakery down the street makes these amazing mini lemon meringue tarts that require alot of self-control on my part whenever i pass by haha :lemon:

10 @emotis - a super spooky LP Baron Samedi Voodoo postcard (paired with an equally spooky abraham lincoln stamp lol :joy:) amazing - thank you, erin! :skull_and_crossbones: i hope you had a wonderful trip - it sounded very eventful haha

18 @KimberKS - thank you for the wonderful wizard of oz postcard, kimberly :high_heel: sending your daughter all of the positive vibes as she makes her way through architecture school - it can be a tough experience, but a super rewarding career! :blush: as an architecture school-survivor, myself, always happy to share my experiences haha

21 @Beachyblonde - whitney! thank you so much for the moomin stamp postcard from favourites :pleading_face::two_hearts:after a busy spring, i hope that you get some well-deserved rest soon!

25 @jocrafts - this postcard. has. it! i hope you had a good conference, jo. i love this illustration so much (so cute and funky :two_hearts:) - the colours are so fun too! :partying_face:

29 @melvnoble - my friend just got back from charleston too~ glad to hear that you had a good time, mel :blush: awesome sketch of toast of charleston’s storefront (the menu looks delicious too, not gonna lie haha :see_no_evil:)

30 @RockyRoadTrip - thank you for the martha graham postcard, rocky! :dancer: what an outfit (and that headdress!) - i did some googling and it was so moving to watch her use clothing as an extension of her body movements. a true artist :two_hearts:

3 Likes

#20 Triol report

#2 @CrimsonKing
Thanks a lot ,Lesly for card from my Favorites! I love so much Lou Paper edition!!!

#3 @Cruzin
What a beautiful cats, Lori!!! Thank you so much for your choice for me! I love this card!!!

#4 @jenhart
Jennifer! If I had seen this postcard before, I would definitely add it to my favorites! Thank you for choosing !!! I like it so much!

#6 @mikeyz1
Many thanks, Mike for LPress card!!! I dream to visit this city.

#7 @hootnoodle
Many Thanks for jazzy card!! It`s so beautiful!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade
Thank you so much Rene, for such a great Jazz festival card ! I dream visit it one day!
And my Favorite dessert is Tiramisu:)

#9 @RobinP
Thank you Robin for the great art card!

#10 @emotis
Big thanks Erin, for New Orleans poster card! I dream visit this city one day:)

Report to be continue…

2 Likes

Finally a big report from me! Over the past week or so, I’ve received the following cards: 2, 4, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 23, 26, 27, 29 & 30. So a bit thank you to the following:

#2 @CrimsonKing for the amazing Golden Girls card! God I love that show! As far as travel together, no, I will be travelling solo to Florida for the AP US History reading in just a few days and will be there for two weeks. In July I will be in Poland for the month where I’ll be taking courses at a university to study Polish.

#4 @jenhart for the awesome freed slaves card from 1862. Four more days of school for me!

#10 @emotis for the great WWII propaganda card from the WWII Museum. I used to have the same poster in my classroom…until it disappeared.

#11 @Hazygirl for the great card of President Clinton’s boyhood home. The home is actually now owned by the US Park Service and is a National Historic Site.

#12 @Yarn-Lady for the fabulous National Postcard Week card with many different mailboxes on the front. I like the skunk, personally :skunk:

#14 @alcott1 for the great card from the Basque Museum & Cultural Center in Boise, Idaho. When we did our western roadtrip back in 2020, we stopped in Boise and heard about this place, but couldn’t go due to the fact most things were still closed due to COVID.

#15 @lyndylou5 for the cool card of the ferry Kaleetan. I love how ferries make up such an integral part of the Seattle transportation network.

#17 @kickassk12 for the wonderful presidential button card. Most of the cards I receive that are political advocate for or against issues, others make fun of politicians or are just standard portraits/images of politicians.

#18 @KimberKS for the great card for the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. I’m so happy to hear that you’ve hosted an exchange student before. We need more people to do that!

#23 @suatelier for the beautiful Maud Lewis card. I’ve received a couple cards over the years with her work and I simply love it!

#26 @sarahaeyo for the great vintage-vibe travel poster for Palestine. I’m sure your trip was fascinating!

#27 @snailmailkait for the stunning view of the Cadet Chapel. It reminds me of Dulles Airport!

#29 @melvnoble for the amazing card of Mr. Rogers’ puppets. We saw the exhibit when we visited the museum last spring. I broke down into uncontrollable tears when I saw the tree and castle. Then my husband did the same. Our exchange students seemed so confused! :laughing:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip for the rather appropriate card of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Michiganders were in a state of mourning with the news of Lightfoot’s death. To be honest, I don’t think I’ve watched any of the documentaries. You’ll have to let me know the names of the better ones.

Thank you everyone! I also love all of the different stamps that were used.

3 Likes

Actually, since I saw your card that I received, it appears that you wrote #9 on at least some of your cards, including mine. No worries. Mistakes happen!

Updated!

June is open!

2 Likes

#4 @jenhart La creature–Paris vs. New York–fun postcard!

#7 @hootnoodle Walnut Street Bridge Unusual view–Great stamps

#10 @emotis I took a riverboat cruise recently down the Mississippi to the Ohio and to Louisville–I’d love to do a cruise all the way to New Orleans.

#11 @Hazygirl I found three cats–I think there may be more. Cute!

#17 @kickassk12 I enjoy exploring bookstores, too; this one would be so much fun!

#23 @suatelier I love those unique buildings!

#29 @melvnoble I can’t believe that last button is 1896, either!

2 Likes

#28 reporting cards received:

#2 @CrimsonKing sent a Cocker Spaniel nurse. One of my current dogs does look like this without the glasses and nurse’s uniform. They are a comfort when you’re feeling down though.

#3 @Cruzin sent a Star Wars stamp of The Emperor in honor of Star Wars Day along with a very cute Grogu sticker. I love that no one got your Star Wars clothing!

#4 @JenHart sent an edition-tausendschoen card of gathering of friendly animals. These cards are such a cheerful gift. I laughed when I read your message about quickly selling a kidney to restock your postcards. I read that one to my husband who understands.

#6 @mikeyz1 sent a card in honor of Buddha’s birthday. I confess I don’t understand most religious symbolism.

#7 @hootnoodle Sent a card of Armistead Peter 3rd on his motorcycle. Since I wasn’t aware of who he was, I looked him up and was surprised to find that Tudor Place is here in Georgetown and that he was an artist and great x 4 grandson of Martha Custis Washington. He was also quite a handsome man on his Harley. A man after my own heart! Thank you for this.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent mushrooms and a snail for one of my May challenges. How did your class go? Mine favorite dessert is also creme brulee, followed closely by Key Lime pie.

#9 @RobinP sent a card from the Darth Vader & Son collection. Thanks for sharing that story about the car and 18-wheeler. No, I can’t imagine the conversation the car driver was having nor can I imagine passing it!

#10 @emotis send a windmill in a field of beautiful tulips in Holland, Michigan for one of my May challenges. I used to have a bunch of red tulips in my front yard but every year either the deer or the bunnies got them. The fastest on record was one day. They bloomed and overnight were entirely decapitated.

#11 @Hazygirl sent a panoramic card from Revenge of the Sith for Star Wars day. I think this theme was the most popular of all the cards I received this month. How old are your students?

#12 @Yarn-Lady sent a card for National Postcard Week. I do love this variety, especially the bike rider and the skunk!

#13 @ladybug513 send a multi-view card from Solvang, CA which includes a windmill. I’ve been to that city many years ago. Quite cute. I’ve also heard woodpeckers drilling on metal and it makes a great sound.

#14 @alcott1 sent a variation of Rosie the Riveter. I wonder how many actual variations on this card there are? That might be a good challenge theme. Maybe for June?

#15 @lyndylou5 sent a photo of San Antonio Riverwalk. Your brother also has a postcard stash!

#16 @jacieslar sent an image of a vintage postcard. I hope your pup is okay. My oldest dog, now 13 is sort of gradually deteriorating; may have some kidney failure. Very sad.

#17 @kickassk12 sends a quilt. My mother was a big quilter and did all her work by hand. They are beautiful. Many are smaller wall hangings so you don’t have to have a bed to display. I actually did make my first quilt this year. To clarify; I made the quilt top. When I went to make the quilt “sandwich” of batting and backing, I realized that the inexpensive machine I had purchased for quilting couldn’t really accommodate the bulk of the quilt in order to do the seaming because the machine “throat” is too narrow. I guess this feature didn’t ever cross my mind since my Mom didn’t have a fancy machine, but then again she did all her work by hand so didn’t need it for that. For this time, I sent the quilt to be finished but it is not economical to do that since my purpose was to quilt and donate to Project Linus. This has derailed me for now but I need to figure out a solution since I already purchased so much fabric! In the long run, I suppose it would have been more “economical” to buy a better (and more expensive) machine. Sigh.

#19 @ellistrations sent one of the Wine Dogs of North American wineries. This card set is such a cute idea and this dog is gorgeous. I also like to pet and sweet talk a dog!

#21 @beachyblonde send a card from the Rey and Pals set. I didn’t realize this set was different from the Darth Vader and Son set until I received cards from both this month.

#22 @uconn sent a vintage card of the Humpty Dumpty Circus for one of my challenge themes this month. Hope your hockey team did well!

#24 @roxy sent Adidas shoes on a tool board. Once again, people with clever ideas for postcards. I DO own a lot of shoes; but the older I get the more I wear the same ones.

#25 @Jocrafts sent a card from the Darth Vader & Son set. I’m doing meh I guess but thanks for asking. Today I just felt kind of sad and teary but don’t know why. I’m feeling better now I’m cataloguing the cards but can’t seem to be ahead of the curve on writing and replying these days. I’m always right at the margin on getting them done. I’m sure I won’t be able to join June since people probably haven’t gotten my cards yet cause I just sent them over the last 2 days but here’s hoping.

#26 @sarahaeyo sends elephants from the Barnum & Bailey Circus for one of my monthly challenges. I recently saw my first Cirque Du Soleil this year and it was awesome!

#27 @snailmailkait sent an Inkognito thank you card. Maybe an elephant for the circus theme? We are in full green here and our cherry blossoms have long come and gone. They only last a few days but are worth the wait.

#29 @melvnoble sent a card/view of Devil’s Staircase in Laurel Caverns. Did you rappel down? If yes, you are a braver person than I. It’s been a long time since I visited a cavern but I agree they are nice and cool

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a windmill photo from Holland. It did not have to be a US windmill. ALL windmills are welcome here!

9 Likes

#19 received

#20 @Triol - thank you! So happy to hear the weather is much warmer for you. We are (yet again) starting to warm up and have some rain. Our weather for BBQs is best in the Fall. Always happy for new furniture!

#13 with more cards from:

#1 @cawindt – Thank you very much for the Odesa – Cities of Ukraine card you sent. One wonders what the cities of Ukraine will look like once hostilities have ended. So much destruction and loss of life.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade – What a terrific Tolkien postcard! Thank you very much. I love it! I hope you had a fantastic cruise with good weather. My favorite dessert? Ice cream, especially with homemade apple pie. Yum!

#10 @emotis – Thank you so very much for both the postcards you sent – one stating facts about your hometown of Dayton, Ohio and the other a dragon made entirely of Legos. Giuliana will love the dragon as even at the age of 5 she is already putting together Lego scenes with a little help from her dad. Stepping on Legos is torture!

#23 @suatelier – Thank you very much for this folk art scene by Maud Lewis. I really like it! It is amazing what an artist with no formal training can produce and then find her art hanging in the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. Really wonderful. Also love the postage stamps, uncancelled as usual!

#24 @roxy – This Campbell Soup card is great! Thank you! Love the stickers and stamps, too. I am finding that a lot of things do not taste like I remember them tasting as a kid. Except for ice cream. Ice cream just keeps on getting better! LOL!

#25 @jocrafts – Lucky you to have visited Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado. I’m certainly in favor of handrails for safety, but appreciate that they can ruin a photo! Love the stickers and washi!

#26 @sarahaeyo – Thank you for the very iconic Peanuts card! I don’t understand how Charlie Brown didn’t know Lucy would pull that football out from under him – again! He was such a trusting soul. Love the washi and stickers!

#29 @melvnoble – Thank you so much for these cute mushrooms! What luck to find an artist actually selling her art at a craft show in the form of postcards. A rare event, I think! Great llama sticker!

3 Likes

#17 reporting

Received: 4, 11, 13, 23, 24, 25, 30

Thanks, @jenhart! I do not know much about what’s in Florida, so it’s been fun to study this card.

Thanks, @Hazygirl! Such a beautiful image of the NYC skyline. Thanks for the stickers and washi.

Thanks, @ladybug513! I have seen this card before. I’m pretty sure it’s when I drove through Lancaster years and years ago. And the stamps you used…treasures! Humphrey Bogart and a California Condor. Love!

Thanks, @suatelier! I had no clue that Ontario had so many lakes. Does that make for lots of mosquitos in the summertime?

Thanks, @roxy! I have never been to Ottawa. I’d love to visit one day. The sublime sticker makes me smile. What great washi, too.

Thanks, @jocrafts! I hope to visit Bryce Canyon this October. Some friends and I are talking about visiting the area to better see the lunar eclipse. I love Keropi! The stickers, washi, and your fun calligraphy are delightful. Has your family been to Craters of the Moon NP?

Thanks, @RockyRoadTrip! I’m only up at 5AM to schlep my kids to a game or tournament. What are you reading now?

Received to date: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 30

1 Like

NARR MAY 2023
Report #4

The shower of cards continues…

#01 @Cawindt: sent a shot of the iconic Market Woman statue outside the craft marketplace (I call it the tent city) in Marigot, St. Martin. I loved following along on your social media as you documented moments from your visit. Having only cruised there, our time is always limited on the island, so never had a chance to visit Grand Case or the resort there. Better dining options and a chance to really decompress seem to be the chief advantages of staying there. And I always note the port because you can score nudie postcards there. Thanks!

#03 @Cruzin: sent my first-ever postcard from a dispensary! It’s an ad card from OM, an all-female collective that produces holistic cannabis oils and botanicals (and edibles!) and it features the sweet leaf itself in the image. Perfect! Does this mean I should start a dispensary cards category!? Thanks!

#04 @JenHart: sent a beautiful view of the St. Simmons Island Lighthouse in Georgia. This is a model for how all lighthouses should operate: be accessible to the public, climbable, have a related museum with tours, and a restored keeper’s quarters. Sadly, I have never been, but am making a note of this special attraction. Glad this card survived the flood! Thanks!

#17 @KissAssK12: sent the always timely Impeach! button from the Button Box collection. As you point out, it seems there are always calls to impeach a president – but I think this one we can currently apply to corrupt Justice Clarence Thomas! Nice rubber stamp, too. Thanks!

#20 @Triol: sent an interesting multi-view that shows details from the historic Blue Swallow Motel on Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM. This is how more multi-views should be – showing little glimpses of the property. So sorry to hear about having to cancel your cruise! Ugh. Covid strikes at the worst times! Hope you get a chance to go later. Thanks!

#24 @Roxy: the only thing better than a bridge card is a bridge construction card, like this one showing evening arch constructions of the Pat Tillman Bridge - which was built to divert traffic from having to cross the Hoover Dam. Leave it to Amurica to name a bridge after an NFL football player! Beautiful. Thanks!

#29 @MelVnoble: sent a vintage linen aerial of Pittsburgh’s Golden Triangle. So many bridges and where’s Three Rivers Stadium? Can’t believe you are working in this location. How’s the commute/traffic? I had a friend who had offices up on Grandview Avenue overlooking the city. Beautiful locale. Thanks!

Thanks all!

Highly anticipating: #5, #23, and #28

Rocky Road Trip #30

2 Likes

Updated again :smiley:

#20 Triol
…continue reporting

#1 @cawindt
Craig! Yesterday arrived your card! How I happy to received such a great Chopin card !!! Many many thanks for your choice!

#11 @Hazygirl
Thank you so much Jo Ann for very beautiful fancywork card!

#12 @Yarn-Lady
Many thanks Cynthia for amazing Postcard Week card!

#13 @ladybug513
What a beautiful Spring card! Thank you so much, Susan!!! Enjoy growing flowers and warm weather!

#14 @alcott1
Big thanks Mary for amazing map Martha`s vineyard card! I dream of visiting this place soon!

#15 @lyndylou5
Hi Lyndy! Spotswood is very close to East Brunswick!!! And you right ; no cards in stores:(( Thanks a lot for so nice card!I like it!

#16 @jacieslar
Huge thanks JoAnn for so cute Hedgehog in my collection! I am so happy!

#17 @kickassk12
Thanks a lot , dear Kristel for so beautiful Mary Cassat art work card! I absolutely love it!

#17 @KimberKS
Huge Thanks, Kimberky for the great Kansas map card! New one in my collection! Thanks for your choice!

… to be continue soon:)

2 Likes

#11 hazygirl

#5 @volvomom sent a beautiful landscape of Poland. I don’t know what I thought Poland looked like, but it wasn’t like that!

a few more cards to report during this weekend:

26 received: 4, 13, 14, 17, 27

4 @jenhart - thank you for the great LP space postcard, jennifer :rocket: i am sadly not so organized haha. i have them in a few boxes, but i am working through cataloging them by catagory in an online photo album :camera_flash: (but definitely still a wip!)

13 @ladybug513 - baron samedi voodoo LP postcard with the cutest pisces-themed stickers and decorations! :crystal_ball: i have the pleasure of waking up by the neighbourhood birds arguing with eachother at 5am, everyday haha :nest_with_eggs: thank you susan!

14 @alcott1 - great black and white postcard of bill clinton playing the saxophone for boris yeltsin, circa 1994 :saxophone: thank you for the wonderful (and musical) blast from the past, mary ellen! :blush:

17 @kickassk12 - thank you, kristel, for the fabulously fashionable postcard from the “details on the street” box; this month i have received so many great postcard featuring snazzy hats! :womans_hat: love the washi tapes you chose as well :blossom: happy spring!

27 @snailmailkait - the wind rises; what a picturesque movie! miyazaki’s animation style is always so immersive :parasol_on_ground: thank you, kaitlyn, for the new addition to my ghibli collection and for the wonderful springtime stickers and washi! :blossom:

3 Likes

#9 reporting 2 more recent arrivals…

from #17 @kickassk12 - a lovely black and white view of Mount McKinley. No, I’ve never been, but I really want to! We collected our first passport stamp as a family this February. Hopefully, there are many more to come. Good luck with your collecting project!

from #23 @suatelier - an Anderson Design card featuring Toronto. Gorgeous!

Thank you both for the great cards!

Looking forward to seeing the cards from #1,4,5,7,11,20,21, and 28 (It’s nice to see I’m not the only one who seems to have had a busy month!).

2 Likes

#6 reporting

#1 @cawindt sent me a great card of Klimt’s Kiss.

#5 @volvomom sent a fascinating painting card from the Walters Art Museum.

#11 @Hazygirl sent a nice card about the Buffalo Soldiers

#20 @Triol sent a cool Fun Facts card about the Statue of Liberty

#23 @suatelier sent avocados!!! I love them! And the card!

2 Likes

Big thanks to:
#1 @cawindt Mackinac Ferries! Yes… we will be there in July. Always looking forward to going Up North!
#5 @volvomom Funny Anne Taintor card… and I thought they were pajamas too.
#20 @triol Cool Harry Potter card. And I need to update my patio furniture too.
#23 @suatelier Train Meetup Card. How fun!!!

To Receive: 21, 25, 28, 30

2 Likes

#20 Triol
…continue report

#19 @ellistrations
Thanks a lot dear Barbara!! Your new Hedgehog for me is so cute and nice!!! I am so happy!

#22 @uconn
Fantastic card! Thank you very very much James for your choice !!!

#24 @roxy
Many many thanks Brenda for piano card! Never no late to start play on music instruments! One of my student is 73 y.o.!

#25 @jocrafts
Thanks a lot Jo, for great poster card!!

#26 @sarahaeyo
Many thanks Sarah for nice LOVE card! I like it so much!

#27 @snailmailkait
Big THANKS dear Kaitlyn for recipe card! It`s one of my favorites desserts!:slight_smile:

#29 @melvnoble
Thanks a lot, Mel for your amazing card! This cute animal is nudoubtedly from the family of Hedgehogs!:slight_smile:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip
Big Thanks Rocky for great Food card! A set of these ingredients looks like a very tasty salad!! Should try!:slight_smile:

3 Likes