[RR] North American May 2022 Round Robin - The May It Warm Up Edition - Closed

#8 Shesa-Renegade reporting in with three more received cards!

#1 @cawindt sends a gorgeous orange/yellow view of a Michigan beach. Yoga on the beach sounds fabulous. I have gotten out of the habit of yoga and find that my hips are getting tighter and painful. I need to get back into a daily practice again.

#11 @HookedonPostcards sends a postcard of poodles for my dog theme! I love getting to know my neighbors because of taking walks with my dog.

#20 @Triol sends an adorable card of two lab puppies. It sounds like you are going to have a great garden! I hope that you’ve had nice enough weather to get everything planted. Good luck with the outside repair work.

Received: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24. 25, 26, 28, 29, 30
Excited for: 4, 23, 27

2 Likes

#22 uconn

#1 @cawindt 1963 Buck Riviera from Henry Ford Museum, cool! Sounds like a great weekend.

No problem. Mostly mentioning it so I’m not prevented from signing up for June. :smiley_cat:

#26 received: #9 and 18

9 @scoutingbear - thank you for one of my favorites! i really enjoy mail/postcrossing themed cards (especially when they are designed by the community!)~ happy (belated) mothers day - i am a strong supporter of naptime haha :sleeping:

18 @LaurenceB - this postcard design is so cute - tysm! i think there is a campaign to petition the usps to create a postcrossing stamp/cancellation too - i would love to see one, one day! as soon as you mentioned that beethoven post i got transported back to 2010 :sweat_smile: i have a lot of good memories and new online friendships associated with tumblr which makes me super nostalgic for anything associated with it :two_hearts:

Okay, the cards have been piling up! It’s been a busy couple of weeks, and I apologize for not being more regular in my updates. Without further ado, thank you to

#3 @Cruzin for the adorable cat card and stickers.

#9 @scoutingbear for the cool Kenya card. I still have not been to Africa. High on my list are Senegal and Ghana.

#11 @HookedonPostcards for the awesome Canadian stamp card. Yes, I have heard quite a bit about the residence schools in Canada. We’re dealing with a similar issue here with the old Native boarding schools. There is much atoning to be done for our past. Love the stamps and stickers.

#12 @Yarn-Lady for the wonderful cat card. Our dear cat, Diana, who is no longer with us, we used to refer to as “anti-literacy cat” as she would always get in the way whenever we tried to read. :joy_cat:

#13 @ladybug513 for the cute cat and yard card with adorable kitten stickers.

#14 @jacieslar for the great Ukraine card. Our exchange son heads home on June 20. We are going to miss him!

#16 @NittanyLionRI for the scenic card from West Virginia. I’ve been through the state a few times now and it’s gorgeous. My mother-in-law was born and grew up there.

#17 @PostAddy for the cool historic card from Norfolk, Virginia

#18 @LaurenceB for the fabulous Johnson Canyon card. It is reminiscent of the US National Park cards for sure! Love all the stamps and decorations.

#20 @Triol for the spectacular Catvision card!! Such a perfect card for me. I also am so happy that the Kalush Orchestra won this year. In reading Polish media and listening to Radio Poland, they are quite proud of Ochman’s performance. While I agree he should have ranked higher, given Poland’s relatively poor performance in the past, the Poles are thrilled.

#23 @suatelier for the fun cat/Canada map card! I’ve received one in this series from Luxembourg. Now I feel I need to get the whole collection! I have around 6 inks, and I’m even thinking that’s too much! :rofl:

#24 @roxy for the beautiful Stanley Palmer engraving & lithograph Inlet Nice aviation stamps!

#25 @teddypostcrossing for the cool Glenwood Springs, Colorado hot springs card. I have four days left!! It’s not as great as it sounds as I leave school Friday, head to the airport and fly to Florida to start grading AP US history tests until June 7!

#26 @sarahaeyo for the cool “Memorial for Dead Russian Soldiers” card. I have knit everything from scarves, to hats, socks, sweaters, etc. I am currently working on a shawl.

#28 @TwoDoggies for the colourful New Orleans card!

#29 @melvnoble for the nice vintage Youngstown card.

Thank you everyone for bringing a smile to my face each day after school.

4 Likes

June is finally open!

4 Likes

MAY 2022 NARR – Report 2

A colorful bouquet of May poppies to report:

#01 @cawindt: sent an attractively laid-out Multiview picturing 7 Michigan lighthouses. The card is a little deceptive, as this is far from the nearly 100 towers that dot the state’s shorelines, but it does some include a nice assortment of them, reminding me, is this the year my wife and I finally commit to the New Jersey Lighthouse Challenge this fall? Thanks!

#03 @Cruzin: sent a vintage chrome shot of the Gettysburg Motor Lodge. This card instantly transported me back to a time a nascent 13 year old Rocky once spent a wild night in a Gettysburg Motel like this, possibly this one, on a middle-school class trip to visit the historic battlefields. It was my first time having “roommates” and we spent the entire night jacked up on our independence and hijinks. Thanks!

#04 @JenHart: sent a wonderful shot highlighting the isolated nature of the Morris Island Lighthouse just outside of Charleston (off Folly Beach, actually, where Rocky and Mrs. Rocky went for the last major US solar eclipse). The tower is actually starting to lean, so efforts are underway to protect it. Thanks!

#07 @LJBbauer: sent a shot of the James Scott Memorial Fountain in Detroit. Talk about ego, James Scott died without heirs so he donated his fortune to the city, stipulating that they build a fountain and a bronze statue of him. The city almost decided not to accept the bequeath as Scott was described as a "vindictive, scurrilous misanthrope.” But the council eventually took the cash and the $500,000 fountain was built. Thanks!

#12 @Yarn-Lady: I’m reporting a second card from Cynthia. The first, which I featured in an earlier report, depicted a sea of sunflowers, the national flower of Ukraine, which I guess was an RAS. For her official May NARR card, she sent a cartoon in which Noah’s wife is berating him for not bringing a pooper-scooper with him on the Ark. Biblical world problems at their best. Thanks for both gems!

#13 @LadyBug513: a terrific shot of the Howard Johnsons that was built OVER the six land of the Illinois Tollway (I-94) just north of Chicago. I love these “archway” rest stops that span over the roadway like a bridge. As a kid, I used to stand in front of their wall-to-ceiling windows, mesmerized by the never-ending stream of traffic below. There’s also the anomaly that the rest stop travel plazas along this stretch of I-94 were called Oasis-es (or more grammatically, Oases) and now the Interstate Oasis program is looking to standardize all interstate highway rest stops I could go on forever about this stuff! Great card. Thanks!

#14 @Jacieslar: sent a fun roadway shot of the Cloudcroft Tunnel found on Highway 82 in the Sacramento Mountains of New Mexico. It’s the only tunnel of its kind in the state. Interestingly enough, it wasn’t until this year that the DOT decided to install lights along in its modest 500 foot stretch. It’s to help drivers eyes adjust when they are thrown into darkness after being out in the high desert sunlight. Thanks!

#15 @AccentOnHakes: sent a diorama shot from the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, depicting a slave master reining supreme over a slave couple and their child. Pretty gutsy stuff and good depiction of the psychological terrorism of the day. Hope your sister is doing better. Clearly, the pandemic isn’t over just because we’re over it! Thanks…

Thanks everyone!

All my outgoing May cards have been posted…

To view my incoming May cards pay my Flickr account a quick visit.

Rocky Road Trip #30

5 Likes

I need to find a card with all 100+ lighthouses on it! :laughing:

1 Like

@cawindt : ^^ That would be some MULTI-view!

MAY 2022 NARR – Report 3

More May colors to report:

#17 @PostAddy: sent a good card to add to my circus/clown collection. An etching and aquatint (whatever that is) of a clown riding an elephant backwards… and did I mention the elephant is balanced on a ball? Hilarious. Thanks.

#18 @LaurenceB: sent a good one for my growing “interrupting lamppost” collection. These are cards which feature a poorly placed lamppost that spoils an otherwise attractively composed shot. I see a lot of these in motel promo shots, where the photographer probably doesn’t give a darn, but this one spoils a nice shot of the St. Sepulchre church in London (burial site of Captain John Smith, as an aside). Thanks.

#21 @JeffWeiss: sent a shot of BigFoot in what appears to be a knit union suit! Hilarious story about your exchange student. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry couldn’t get the parking valet’s “stench” out of his car. Thanks for the card and the laugh!

#24 @Roxy: sent a shot of Buddy Christ, the Catholic church’s contemporary, less-depressing, of Jesus, marketed to replace the crucifixion image in Kevin Smith’s parody film, Dogma – which, btw, is still not available to stream, thanks to the Weinstein Group. Hilarious addition to my blasphemy card collection. Thanks!

#25 @TeddyPostcrossing: sent a dramatic shot of a bald eagle staring down the photographer. Yes, even here in New York we are seeing a resurgence of our national bird. I was pleasantly surprised when stepping out onto the driveway one afternoon, I spotted a pair flying overhead. Good to hear you are seeing more of them, too. They’re an amazing bird. Thanks for this gem!

#26 @SaraHaeyo: sent a playful, punful, Puck magazine cover, showing a young boy taking shelter from a rainstorm under the protruding belly of a local police officer. “Under Police Protection” reads the title and you’re right, it can be viewed in a number of ways, both back then and today as well. Thanks!

#28 @TwoDoggies: sent a real special card for me. It’s a vintage chrome shot of the Heidi Motel in my current locale of Brewster, NY. The card depicts a sunny, summer day, with families enjoying the pool. This was back when Brewster was a summer resort town for city slickers. Amazingly, this motor court still exists, on prime Route 22 (Albany Post Road) property. But now it’s part welfare housing and cheap lodging for work crews traveling around the state. Thanks, it’s great to have this local card in my collection.

#29 @MelVnoble: sent a real fun vintage chrome shot of the Youngstown, OH skyline. The state’s third largest city, the descriptor proclaims. Well, it’s now #9 by population and 7th by land area, but what’s really interesting about this card are the Hertz car and truck rental in the background, as well as signs for Pepsi-Colad and something known as Golden Age beverages, a soda maker headquartered in Houston that had a distributor in Youngtown. It’s now a unaffiliated beverage distributor located, ironically, and quite tellingly actually, on Pepsi Lane in Youngstown. Great card, thanks.

Thanks everyone!

All my outgoing May cards have been posted…

To view my incoming May cards pay my Flickr account a quick visit.

Rocky Road Trip #30

Looking forward to cards from: 6, 11, 20, 23, and 27

2 Likes

#9 with another incoming card

#20 @Triol sends a bear mama and cub. I admire beautiful gardens or even gardens where effort is made. My yard is not one of those gardens. I like the idea…

1 Like

#3 received

#1 @cawindt Voting rights are Human rights!! I am with you - I’m really worried too.

#13 @ladybug513 Attack of the 50 Foot Woman!! That nice they gave out trees in your town! Thank you @scoutingbear for forwarding this on!!

#20 @Triol Post Stone pin up! I love the cards they have! You remind me I need to get out in my yard and weed!

#23 @suatelier Books!! I think we are permanently stuck in winter/spring mode here but without the rain!

Thank you all for the great cards and words!

2 Likes

#29 - One postcard arrived over the weekend!

#20 @Triol - Thank you Olga for this recipe card for Savannah Crab Cakes! I am not a huge fan of most seafood, but my partner would enjoy these! Oh yes, the warmer weather brings all those outdoor chores that need to be taken care of. We’re planning out some of that now when it’s not too hot or too rainy.

1 Like

#16 NittanyLionRI reporting

Thanks to #27 @HarleyGirl73 for the pretty Muttart Conservatory card. Looks like a cool place to visit. Good luck with the move :grinning:

1 Like

#4 @jenhart reporting

#20 @Triol : thank you for the great Cherry Coke card! When I go to the movies my favorites flavors to get are Cherry Coke or Raspberry Vanilla Coke. Mmmm-hmmm.

1 Like

#22 uconn

#4 @jenhart great ‘strange’ card, thanks. Perfect

1 Like

#19 received

#4 @jenhart - compass, thank you! Congratulations to your daughter! Graduating and having a job already, that’s awesome!

#7 @ljbbauer reporting. I’m back from my college reunion and was greeted upon returning home by two wonderful cards.

#20 @Triol sends from my favorites the graphic USA map. Thank you so much! I never expect to receive favorites so it is such a treat when I do!

#1 @cawindt sends white tail deer - which I do not already have. Unless you count the ones that like to nap in my backyard. 4 giant females and the occasional baby. Thank you!

1 Like

#9 reporting
#13 @ladybug513 I knew that Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13 but didn’t know the word for fear of Friday the 13th.

#15 lots to catch up on.

@cawindt #1 I remember seeing your post about beach yoga. Do you enjoy yoga? My friends have been making me to go to class with them. It feels like suffering to me. I am really not good at it.
@jenhart #4 Thank you for Charleston’s Waterfront Park! Big congratulations to your daughter. You must be very proud. :slight_smile:
@jacieslar #14 Great LP card from the FL Keys. Weather has been nice the last few days but tomorrow and day after are rain. Yuck. I think I am going to drive instead of bike to work tomorrow. I just don’t have the energy to deal with the rain clothes this week.
@melvnoble #29 I like the retro feel of this Pittsburgh card! I had never heard of the term “Yinzer” before. Interesting!

#7 @ljbbauer reporting:

#4 @jenhart sends a wonderful Eleanor Roosevelt card with photos from many different times in her life. She was certainly a remarkable woman! I will need to research Eleanor of Aquitaine. I recognize the name but don’t know any details of her life. Thank you!