[RR] North American May 2021 RR - The May We Be Able to Travel Soon Edition - Closed

I am and I do! My work is on a small island called San Salvador Island. There is a research station there where we stay and work from. They have labs and everything we need (except specialized equipment) to do our work. I also teach a course that takes geology students to the island. We learn about the geology in the mornings on land when it’s cooler, and then every afternoon we are in the water exploring coral reefs. I seriously love my job!

1 Like

MAY NARR – Report #1

#01 @Cawindt: sent a beautiful Anderson Design Group illustration of a backpacking couple overlooking the upper falls at Yellowstone National Park. I like the cleanest of this card, not cluttered with the usual travel poster text these cards always seem to feature. As for your summer travel plans, do a domestic and an international! And don’t forget, there’s plenty to do here in the East! Thanks!

#02 @JohnBradleyTLH: sent a shot of a Wild Florida airboat tour ripping through the Florida Everglades. We didn’t do ours with Wild Florida, but we did take a fanboat tour as a cruise “shore excursion” at Everglades Holiday Park to kill the time before a late evening flight. An interesting experience, especially when the gators come up to or go under(!) the boat. I’ll have to check out Wild Florida next time I’m avoiding Disney in Orlando. Thanks!

#03 @Cruzin: sent a terrific shot of the very comfy-looking lobby at the Earlsfort Terrace Hilton in Dublin, Ireland. I don’t think your friends are crazy at all! We’ve often thought about re-locating to Ireland, especially when my wife’s employer had a headquarters there (for tax evasion purposes, of course). If it weren’t so cold, rainy and expensive, we’d probably retire there, though my liver is thanking me for considering other options. Thanks!

#04 @JaquePosts: sent a fecund Oregon forest shot taken at Silver Falls State Park. This is the kind of view you will see while hiking. Did you get the position in Nashville? That would offer much better hiking options than hot and humid Florida! And I’m all for getting out of the office environment. It’s very toxic. Thanks!

#05 @CarolReader: sent a shot of the bike trail running through repurposed lands along the Ohio and Erie Canal towpaths. I’ve heard of rail-trails, in fact we live near one, but never a canal towpath trail. What a neat concept. We’re considering an upstate trip this summer, and the Erie Canal area is a big contender. I’ll need to research this trail more. Thanks!

#06 @MikeyZ1: sent a vintage shot for my clown/circus collection showing Chapito, a once notable Portuguese personality on the circus scene there. He’s holding an oversized pair of tongs clutching an oversized tooth, so you know some hijinks were afoot. Yes, he does look demented, which I guess is what’s behind the whole “Clowns scare me” phenomenon. Thanks!

#07 @TreeClimber: sent a vintage chrome shot of the Grand Teton National Park visitor center at Colter Bay. Visitor centers are always a trip. You go for the bathroom break, but you stay for the postcards in the gift shop! Let’s hope we all get a chance to road trip this summer. Thanks!

#08 @Shesa-Renegade: sent a whimsical vintage card of a little boy, in his pj’s, peeping through someone’s bedroom door knob. Seeing Things at Night – not always the wisest move! Enjoy your summer off! Thanks!

#09 @Mere5oh: sent a vintage sign card detailing facts about the Continental Divide in Wyoming. It’s a useful explanation - as most people I talk to seem to consider it the literal geographic half-way divider of the nation, not its watersheds! Have fun on your trip to Wyoming. It’s good to hear people are travelling again. Thank!

#10 @Emotis: sent a dramatic and funny Lantern Press card of a giant Bigfoot scaling the Seattle Space Needle (ala King Kong on the Empire State Building) in this terrific faux movie poster for “Bigfoot vs Seattle.” T’was Starbucks that killed the beast? Very funny. Thanks!

I have plenty more May cards to report – coming to this thread soon.

You can view all my incoming May cards HERE…

All my outgoing May cards have been sent.

Thanks!

Rocky Road Trip #30

6 Likes

Hey all,

I still owe about 7-8 cards. I’ve been dealing with a terrible dental emergency for the past week and had to wait until my dentist reopened today to have it fixed. One tooth less, it’s now time for me to rest as I haven’t had but maybe 6 hours sleep in the last 6 days. I’ll get those mailed by this weekend.

I am okay now, just waiting for the numbing meds to wear off to see where my recovery pain level is at!

Thanks for your patience!

4 Likes

#6 reporting

#12 @Yarn-Lady sent a great card of monks meditating near a huge boulder

#28 @FrogSalad sent a lovely cardinal card for my collection (and I hope you make it to the John L. Lewis Museum and that they have postcards!!!)

Thank you both!

#11 TandemStoker. More great cards! :heart:

#3 @cruzin
Hurray! More papersisters postcards! happy postcrossing in spring! I just adore these cards. So great that you’ve done a Zoom trivia quiz since last year. Fun postage and sticker and washi. Thanks Lori!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade
LL Greetings from Arkansas. Happy to add this to my LL collection. I hope your tomatoes do well and you’ve taken care of the cut worms. I didn’t plant anything last year so I’ll see how this year goes. Thanks René!

#10 @emotis
Spring apple blossoms. This is perfect! A lot of the trees have blossomed and during our recent walks - during windy days - it looks like snow when the blossoms fall to the ground, but without the coldness. Thanks Erin!

#14 @BarbL
B&W sketch titled Richard by Charles Addams. Thank you for sharing your haikus with me … very nice! Yum … my favorite corn slathered with butter and fresh tomatoes! I hope your garden does well. Thanks Barb!

#15 @accentonhakes
Beautiful Curled Odontoglossum lace orchid. Both my sons graduated from Colorado State and lived in Ft. Collins. I picked up some Everything Bagel Seasoning at Costco yesterday. Thanks Karen … and for the great postage too!

#16 @hootnoodle
McNally Jackson bookstore with a couple of bikes parked in the front. We were in Costco yesterday when an unmasked woman said to the couple in front of us, “Look at me, without a mask, and you can see my big smile.” I was happy for her … but I’ll continue to wear my mask … and you can tell I’m smiling by my eyes LOL. Thanks Mary!

#25 @jocrafts
Birds of a Feather watercolor by Shan Kelly Cecilio. Beautiful strong women full of life indeed! I always like being introduced to new artists. The first time I had my nails done at a salon, I treated a friend for her birthday (a manicure and lunch) - we both got French tips. Press-on nails are fun and affordable! How long can you keep them on? Great postage, washi, and stickers. Thanks Jo!

1 Like

#14 with a check-in

#22 @TwoDoggies sent Winnie the Pooh, who looks like he’s falling and trying to catch his honey pot!! How wonderful that your first get-together was for Mother’s Day!

#29 @melvnoble sent a vintage center of town, with awesome cars and a policeman who looks like he’s wearing a mask!! :joy: :mask:

Thank you both!!! :blush:

Three received today, by #27:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Hypatia … glad to celebrate women’s accomplishments! Keep doing the important and good work that you are doing!
#14 @BarbL - very nice b/w photo, plus gardening haikus. I was in the garden yesterday and today, so feel connected to your poetic expression! :house_with_garden:
#28 @FrogSalad - a very beautiful card for my heart collection, with two poignant and meaningful quotes! :heart:

Thank you all! :dancer:

1 Like

#19 ellistrations received

#11 @TandemStoker - squirrel in Regents Park, thank you! Have you thought about getting squirrel feed as well as bird seed? Our squirrels love running on our fence and roof.

#23 @Nique - lavender field, thank you! This is so pretty! We’re happy to have you in this group. I tend to write all my cards at once but find this large RR easier than the other larger ones I’ve been in. Addresses are easier to write, too, haha!

#27 @HookedonPostcards - tree frog, thank you! They’re so cute, I love their green. I also love your stamp! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I love that most of our wildlife is small but I enjoy the larger wildlife, too.

2 Likes

#10 @emotis - a poster for the National Park of American Samoa. Visiting all national parks would be awesome, but I’m sure I won’t make it to this one. I’ll just try to see MORE national parks.

#11 @TandemStoker - Colorado’s Garden of the Gods in the snow. I was a a conference nearby once, and someone arranged for a group of us to have a picnic dinner there. It’s beautiful!

Thank you both from #16.

#8 Checking in with two received cards!

#10 @emotis sends a fabulous Schitt’s Creek postcard of Moira saying “Fold in the Cheese”…haha…such a funny scene. I’m restarting SC again tonight. I tried watching Arrested Development because someone said it was a lot like SC, but I didn’t find that to be true.

#23 @Nique sends an amazing humpback whale breaching from the water. I didn’t know that Windsor had such terrible air pollution. I love the stickers on your postcard, too. I need to find some of those!

Received: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29
To receive: 11, 20, 22, 27, 30

1 Like

#18 reporting

#11 @TandemStoker sent nice Colorado Map card. I lived most of my life in California. 0-18 San Jose, 18-22 Davis, 26-? Redlands.

#27 @HookedonPostcards sent a Canadian Flag Card. I haven’t been to Dinosaur Provincial Park, but I just might have to arrange a trip next year.

Thank you for the lovely cards.

1 Like

#23 :wave:

Thanks too @ellistrations for such a fun postcard!
Just recently bought a badminton set for my kids. We are having so much fun with it! My goal is to beat every single one of them by the end of May🤣 (you’d be laughing too Barbara if you ever saw me play).

Great view @dnrhott! Enjoyed your cute stickers at the back of the card too!

Thank you both for the HAPPY MAIL today📬

1 Like

#20- Triol
I received cards from:

-#2 @johnbradleytlh
Thanks a lot,John for Lantern Press Florida(Tampa) card!!!perfect for my collection!

-#3 @Cruzin
Many-many thanks,dear Lori for new UTAH Low Paper card for my collection!!

-#4 @jaqueposts
Thank you so much,Jaque for very beautiful card with books!

-#5 @carolreader
Thanks,Carol for very interesting vintage poster with cats!

-#6 @mikeyz1
Thank you so much,Mike for the card with very interesting design of Washington State! I am right?Is it Washington?

-#8 @Shesa-Renegade
What a cute Hedgehog !Thank you,Rene for lovely card!

-#10 @emotis
Huge THANKS,Erin for new Royal Mail card in my album!!!I love it!

-#12 @Yarn-Lady
Big thanks,Cynthia for Indian dancer card! I like it so much!!

-#13 @ladybug513
Thank you so much,dear Susan for so beautiful pin up card!!!New one!!!

-#14 @BarbL
What a delicious recipe of Salmon on a postcard!Thank you very much,Barb!I will definitely cook it this weekend!

-#15 @AccentOnHakes
My big thanks,Karen for such a beautiful Ruby Mountains,Nevada card and amazing stamps on it!!!

-#16 @hootnoodle
Dear Mary!My BIG thank you for Disney Beauty and the Beast !!! It`s my favorite until now:)

-#17 @dnrhott
Mesa Verde!!! I dream to visit it one day!:slight_smile: Thank you so much,Delia for great card!!!

-#18 @theosprey247
Many thanks,Javier for card from my Favorites! California Lou Paper card!!!Love it!

-#19 @ellistrations
A lot of thanks,Barbara for card from my favorites! It`s new Lou Paper illustration(Garden herbs)!
Good luck for you on your new job!!

-#21 @Beachyblonde
How I like travel Posters,and especial Nat Parks!!!Thank you,Whitney for card from my Favorites!!!

-#24 @roxy
Oh,Brenda!How sweet your card!!!Many thanks!This couple of kids bring me many smiles!

-#25 @jocrafts
Thank you so muh,Jo for such a beautiful card and introducing me with new artist! Specil Thanks for great Stamps on card!

-#26 @alcott1
So rare cards with USPS Stamps on it!!! Huge thanks,Mary Ellen for card from my favorites!!

-#28 @FrogSalad
Ummm…!!Cherry!! I cant wait season for pick up it on our NJ farms!Many thanks,Susie for very nice card!

4 Likes

#28 reporting.

#7 @treeclimber a fisherman standing in the surf, along with a quote from Harriet Beecher Stowe. I started birdwatching on those fishing trips when nothing was biting. Now, I twitch more than I fish. :joy: I finally got my tomato planted last week, this weekend I’m putting in some nine bark shrubs in a former succulent garden that never did very well.

#11 @TandemStoker sent Sunflowers by Van Gogh. The wrens and catbirds finally returned last week, so all of my summer birds are back. Last night I heard a nighthawk for the first time this year. allaboutbirds.com is a great resource for bird IDs.

1. SENT ALL
    29.To Receive:* 9, 10, 20, 22, 23, 27, 30

MAY NARR – Report #2

#11 @TandemStoker: sent a nice Lantern Press shot of the Statue of Liberty. I like that this one reminds everyone that it’s a National Monument; so many probably think Trump put it up. Haha. I’ve only been a few times, and probably never returning after turning age 10 or 11. It’s kinda creepy inside and there so restrictive as what you can do there. But yeah, it’s worth visiting at least once! Thanks!

#12 @Yarn-Lady: sent a gorgeous shot of Crater Lake in Oregon. Thanks for the warning, but it doesn’t look like a place I’d want to visit in the colder months! It’s actually one of the more dangerous parks, not only because it’s a “sleeping” volcano, but a lot of people get injured each year from rock slides and collapsing snow drifts. That said, it looks beautiful! Thanks!

#13 @Ladybug513: sent a humorous Irish “house for sale” card. Shows a primitive rock structure (pretty offensive given the deplorable conditions under which tenant famers lived back in the day). Glad our kitchen renovation went well. We did ours too, 5 weeks of living hell, but worth it in the end! Yes, I saw Facebook pictures of “The PotatoHeads!” Is there a level higher than Saint? Thanks!

#14 @BarbL: sent a fascinating illustration from Wizard of Oz illustrator WW Winslow. Before the Oz book, Winslow did a stint with an art movement known as the Roycrofters. They had an iconoclastic approach to art clearly depicted in this drawing showing a monk like fellow, sitting on a stack of sanctified books – including those by Roycroft, burning a slew of others. Just bizarre. Thanks for your vegetable focused Haikus. Don’t quite your day job! Hahha

#15 @AccentOnHakes: sent a WWII Ministry of Health posters that’s just as relevant now as it was back then. Shows a guy sneezing on a crowded subway car. Warns everyone to use a handkerchief and stop spreading disease. At least until the mandate ends! I think they should have let us take any ID pictures during the pandemic with our masks on! Thanks!

#16 @HootNoodle: sent a humorous Awkward Americana card showing Columbus landing in the America’s annoyed that the place “doesn’t look anything like the brochure.” It sure doesn’t now! Not for the indigenous people here, anyway. You continue to amaze me with your progressive activities, from herb gardening, postcard writing, and donating blood! Where do you find the time? Keep up the good fight! Thanks!

#18 @Theosprey247: sent a terrific Postcard Fair shot of Portland Head Lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth Maine. The lighting and colors on this one are particular rich. Looks like it was taken during “the golden hour.” I have seen the lighthouse on Grand Turk as well. Even have a postcard of it! Beautiful. Thanks!

#19 @Ellistrations: sent a shot of Laura Dern and Sam Neill (in his iconic fedora) gearing up to fight dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park. I can’t believe these OGs, plus Jeff Goldblum, are going to make appearances in the upcoming Dominion film, due out in May. They’re as old as dinosaurs themselves! Thanks.

I have a few more cards to report – coming soon.

Waiting on: 17, 20, 22, 27, and 28

Thanks!

Rocky Road Trip #30

Updated!

1 Like

Whew! A lot of work for you. Thanks for staying current with all of us, and for your great communication with us! :clap: :+1:

1 Like

#21 Beachyblonde

#11 @TandemStoker Thank you for the stunning Denver postcard!

#17 @dnrhott Thank you for the “Sea squirts”! The name made me laugh, but I do think they’re lovely!!

#22 @TwoDoggies Thank you for the lovely mug card! It sounds like you had the perfect Mother’s Day!! Yay!!

#23 @Nique Thank you for the awesome Romania postcard! The little girl actually looks similar to my kiddo, just a little older! Thank you for thinking of her!!

1 Like

22 TwoDoggies

#11 @TandemStoker A colorful Colorado map card. Very colorful. I wonder how the postcard makers pick which cities to highlight on the cards?

#29 @melvnoble A Pineapple Field in Hawaii. I love these.

Thank you both.

MAY NARR – Report #3

#21 @BeachyBlonde: sent a Bigfoot Lantern Press for Chatanooga, TN. I had no idea the Sasquatch was “a thing” there, but apparently there have been a number of sightings. And now, as you reported on the card, there’s a Smokey Mountain Bigfoot Festival. If you do ever end up going, let me know how it is! Thanks.

#23 @Nique: sent a glorious sunrise shot featuring a frosty meadow glistening in the rays. The card is from Delicious Postcards, an online Polish producer I had never heard of. Thanks for the fix of papyrophilia and enjoy your summer travels!

#24 @Roxy: sent a new look at Milton’s Paradise Lost, featuring Adam and Eve and an apple martini in Paradise Sauced – complete with a cocktail recipe for the drink. It was funny, when I tried loading this card to Flickr, the algorithm gave it “restricted” status and wouldn’t let me post it to the NARR group until I manually changed the setting to “safe”. I hope no one’s offended, haha. Thanks!

#25 @JoCrafts: sent a shot of colorfully dressed women entitled “Salt, Beef and Juicy Suzy.” Very vibrant feeling watercolor from artist Shan Kelly Cecilio. Yes, I agree with you, it’s good to see people returning to the “new normal”. Thanks!

#26 @Alcott1: sent a shot of an Oregon logging truck hauling a huge load of lumber. I don’t know how these vehicles make it out of those remote forest areas. I hear you about replenishing the postcard supply. We all need to get out there and find more! Thanks!

#28 @FrogSalad: sent a really unique card from the Trip Advisor site of China, known as Qyer. Shows a reflection of a bored chain store girl looking out the door at the world passing her by. Very effective. Happy to take it off your hands! Thanks!

#29 @Melvnoble: sent a patriotic card, a collage showing the US Flag, Constitution, and Mount Rushmore. Doesn’t get much more red, white, and blue than that. Have fun in DC. But prepare for it to be surprisingly hot. And no “ordinary tourist” visits to the Capitol Building, please! Thanks!

Waiting on: 17, 20, and 27

Thanks!

Rocky Road Trip #30

1 Like