[RR] North American July 2022 Round Robin - The Summertime Edition - Closed!

#5 reporting:

#13 @ladybug513 – I love eagles. One year, one of my favorite pastimes was to watch eagles raising their babies on live eagle cams. Fortunately, I change my obsessions every few years. But thank you – I still love them.

#21 @beachyblonde – a crazy group of stuffed piggies holding forth in Alabama. Thank you! I like stuffed animals and sometimes can’t resist buying them, but then I never know what to do with them. Postcard models!

#26 @sarahaeyo – state map of Massachusetts. Needed this one – thank you!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip – a dog running through a cranberry bog. Dog -bog. I like the assonance. I’ve never been close to a cranberry bog! Looks overwhelming. Thank you – the card amuses me and I like it a lot!

My Flickr album with these cards is here.

1 Like

#22 uconn

#4 @jenhart thanks for this art card, your daughter picked up for you

#25 @teddypostcrossing thanks for this Saturday Evening Post cover card. We can use a way to keep cool this week here

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade with two more cards in the mail today!

#18 @LaurenceB sends a card from her favorite postcard artist. I totally understand what you mean about their use of texture and color on both the front and back of the card. Gorgeous!

#25 @teddypostcrossing sends a fun card of a gnome with a Happy 4th of July greeting! I love that the gnome is dressed in the flag with little flag bows in their hair. I didn’t do anything special for the 4th this year. I’m just getting wary of being in large crowds anymore.

Received: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

1 Like

#20 @jacieslar reporting the following cards:

#3 @Cruzin Thank you for the lovely postcard of Catalina Island. What a great place to go for a school field trip!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA Thanks for the card from Indiana, PA. I’ve never been to this town, but it looks like an interesting place to visit - especially the downtown area.

#19 @ellistrations I love this card showing King Kamehameha’s statue draped in leis. I agree they do smell incredible!

#21 @Beachyblonde Thank you for the vintage style postcard of the Franklin, TN town square. How lucky you were to have lived close to the ocean!

#22 @uconn Thank you for the amazing woodcut postcard. I love it! How great that your niece got a game ball from the baseball game!

#24 @roxy What unique postcard! I remember using a Polaroid camera. Thank you.

#26 @sarahaeyo Thank you so much for the lovely postcard. I agree that the pink and red color pallets are stunning. Living here in New Mexico, I need to take a trip to Santa Fe.

#27 @beatriceh Thank you for your postcard showing an inviting bookstore. Here in Ruidoso I am limited to browsing at the public library! Bookstores are always on my list when we travel.

#28 @TwoDoggies I really like this postcard from Jamaica. The water looks incredible. I hope you’re having a great time in Belgium and have been able to locate information about your husband’s family.

#29 @melvnoble The card of the Sir Richard Brinsley Sheridan portrait in a mask is hilarious! I am cautiously optimistic that we won’t return to that mandate in the future.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the great card of Provincetown Cape Cod. What a great place to be working remotely. Enjoy!

4 Likes

#9 @ljbbauer reporting 2 cards received.

#18 @LaurenceB my LB buddy sends these great love giraffes (another L!) and some of the best stamps I’ve seen. The Inuit art is stunning. Thank you for all you put into this package!

#3 @Cruzin sends these basketballs of indeterminate gender. :wink: What a great card. I am having a wonderful summer and I hope you are also. Thank you!

1 Like

#21 BeachyBlonde

I received two more cards:
#14 @dnrhott Thank you for the Michigan football stadium!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the excellent postcard full of some amazing advice! Stuff that I can’t believe we are still dealing with, sadly!

Well, this month sure has been busy. I’m finally here with my first and rather large update this month. Thank you to:

#2 @CrimsonKing for the adorable otter card! How can people not like otters?? When I went to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago a couple years ago, I spent most of my time just watching and laughing at the otters…as most of the aquarium was overrun by elementary students on class trips.

#3 @Cruzin for the gorgeous cat card. I hope you were able to see the fireworks!

#4 @jenhart for the great Basquiat card. Postcards are always a great gift from those who travel…yet I never get any. :laughing:

#5 @carolreader for the fabulous Dialogue in Green painting by Will Barnet, showing a woman trying to talk to a cat who seems he can’t be bothered. Oh! My heart goes out to your friend. I am so happy that the one cat turned up!

#6 @mikeyz1 for the powerful “Her Rights Unite” card. Glad to hear the protest was well attended. I’m actually running for office now as a result of all the $#@* that has gone on this summer.

#7 @mere5oh for the great Lyndon Johnson schoolhouse card. Education was so important for him, and it’s so frustrating that he got sidetracked by the Vietnam War. He could have really made a bigger impact on education than he did.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade for the poignant card of the Heart Mountain internment camp in Wyoming. I have not been to any of the camps yet, but really would like to see one in person.

#9 @ljbbauer for the beautiful aerial view of rural New York. I’ve never really driven across Upstate New York. I’ve gone as far as Niagara Falls and Rochester.

#11 @alcott1 for the vintage view of the Kirkwood railroad station in Missouri.

#12 @Yarn-Lady for the great view of the statue of Jefferson in the memorial in DC. I’m sure he’d be shocked by a LOT of life in the US these days. :laughing:

#13 @ladybug513 for the “We the People” card. I love hearing about your summer activities! I hope your enjoying time with the twins.

#14 @dnrhott for the Curtis portrait of Apsaroke. Much of Curtis’s work has been scrutinized in recent years as it became evident that he had many of the natives he photograph wear costumes and use props and would erase elements of modern life from the portraits in order to preserve the “simple native” myth. They are still stunning photos, though.

#15 @AccentOnHakes for the wonderful view of the Wisconsin Capitol. Your ID experience reminds me of the time we drove to Canada only to discover that William’s passport had expired. Luckily they let us through anyway.

#16 @TheHassFamily for the vintage view of the Shakopee Fire Department. Yes! The sign is for Orange Crush. If you search images on Google, you can find many similar ads from that era…though I haven’t yet found the exact one on the car.

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA for the great VA hospital card from Butler, Pennsylvania. Though utilitarian, I do appreciate the symmetry of the building.

#18 @LaurenceB for the fabulous vintage view of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. Hopefully your experience at the lake at dusk wasn’t how I remember being by the water in Quebec at dusk - full of black flies! Love the stamps and washi!

#19 @ellistrations for the beautiful view of the Fergus County Courthouse in Lewistown, Montana. My summer sure is flying by! I leave for my next trip this weekend and when I return, I have to return for my first meetings for school the following week!

#20 @jacieslar for the awesome Pueblo Eagle Dancers card.

#21 @Beachyblonde for the hilarious “Greetings from Nashville” card with Godzilla attacking the town. I had to share this with a friend in Austria who loves Godzilla. She loved it as much as I did.

#22 @uconn for the Andy Warhol card. Love it! We had toyed with the idea of visiting the Warhol Museum when we were in Pittsburgh this past spring, but we just ran out of time.

#23 @suatelier for the wonderful card of Maud Lewis, painter from Nova Scotia. I’ve seen her work in the past and love it. I hope all is well at the office!

#24 @roxy for the surprise of a card showing architectural details of my own city hall here in Bay City!! I go there all the time. I have to say, I’ve never seen this card before, so this is an awesome one for my collection. Thank you!!

#26 @sarahaeyo for the patriotic Fourth of July card. Yeah, right there with you on questioning my feelings this year. Where in Canada are you from??

#27 @beatriceh for the adorable kitten card. Thank you for telling me about your cats!

#28 @TwoDoggies for the vintage Huron Motel card from Mackinaw City, Michigan. I love old motels like this and try to stay in them on road trips…as long as they are well taken care of…which is fairly rare. I can’t wait to hear about your cruise! We’ve talked about doing a river cruise at some point.

#29 @melvnoble for the great vintage view of the library in Youngstown, Ohio. Yeah, golden doors do sound gaudy! I’m not a fan of gold in general, though.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip for yet another adorable kitten card. My cats have been so clingy since we’ve been back from Greece. They are going to hate me after I get back from Poland. At least William will be here this time.

So I’ve received all but #10 & #25. Thank you everyone for the fabulous cards and the awesome postage!

8 Likes

Please note that I may not get August’s RR open until tomorrow. I still need to update July, and I busy this afternoon visiting with out of state friends who are making their way through Michigan.

8 Likes

I just arrived home from Europe and have a huge stack of 24 cards to update for this RR! Silly me is at work today… but will update all of the received cards tonight and tomorrow. :smiley: (And hopefully more of the cards I sent from Belgium will arrive) :smile:

1 Like

Updated! Whew!

Please take a moment and look at your update to see if I did it correctly. With such a large update, errors are easy to make.

Also, this month I noticed a high number of incorrect numbers, meaning when reporting the number you list and the Postcrossing name don’t match up. I tried to catch all of them, but some may have slipped by.

Finally, as a reminder, please report your cards in order for me. This makes updating much easier.

7 Likes

@TheHassFamily reporting cards received July 19th, 2022.

#7 @mere5oh sent a great postcard from Albuquerque, NM! It is a postcard of the King Arthur Carousel. Gorgeous postcard, the picture I’m uploading doesn’t really do it justice. Thank you for this great card!

#9 @ljbbauer sent a great postcard from the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation. Super pretty architecture, thank you! I love FLW homes!!! I agree with you, I like FLW inspired, rather than FLW designed.

#10 @emotis sent a beer card from Belgium! Very exciting. Never been, but anything in the WORLD is on our bucket list…seriously. We love exploring and adventuring. I hope you’re having a lovely time. Thank you for the great card!

#23 @suatelier sent me a great postcard fitting within my “odd/offensive” category on preferences. LOVE THIS ONE, actually, it fits really well in with my personality. We’re a pretty sarcastic bunch in this household. Thank you!

xxTara

2 Likes

@cawindt - just butting in! I think you missed a big update for @LaurenceB on July 11. I only noticed it because I also check the updates to see what cards from me seem to be missing.

#19 ellistrations received

#7 @mere5oh - Wile E. Coyote, thank you! Living in a tree or a magical world would be wonderful! Same here… so much to do, not enough time to do it. Can you imagine if our days we longer by 12 hours?

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Covered Wagon, thank you! I have organized and reorganized my cards. There are just so many ways to do so, I’ll still have those cards I know I’ve got but a challenge to find. A good place for it a month ago is not my first pace to look now.

1 Like

#15 lots of cards to catch up on.

@jenhart #4 How awesome that the NY side of Niagara Falls has charging available for electric wheelchairs! Thank you for teaching me something new.
@mikeyz1 #6 Thanks for the Indiana Dunes postcard!! I remember buying this same postcard when I visited…okay, fine, they had it as part of a giveaway for signing in and you know I wasn’t about to pass up free postcards. I made my friend sign in as well and stole her pack. :wink: Next time you need to do an Indy trip and say hi to me!
@ljbbauer #9 Chicken card!! We had 2 in high school that were discovered by our HOA and we had to rehome them. Maybe when I’m a homeowner I will have chickens again.
@alcott1 #11 Thank you for “Two Meeting Street.” I thought the same as you; my initial thought is that it was on an intersection (two streets meeting). On adding it to my map I learned that it is located on Meeting Street and that is the actual address (2 Meeting St). Still, a very intriguing name! I can see why they kept it that way.
@Yarn-Lady #12 Thanks for the great RMNP poster! I have never been but I would love to one day.
@dnrhott #14 I love this fun speckled egg card! It is hot this week. I have not done much; school keeps me busy (I don’t get a summer vacation). Last weekend I helped my sister move into the house she recently bought.
@TheHassFamily #16 Thanks for the adorable raccoon card! Have you read the book “Rascal”? It was an assigned book for me in elementary school. I would never have one as a pet, though; I believe that wild animals are best left wild.
@LaurenceB #18 Thanks for adding Mockmuhl, Germany to my map! I am touched that you spend time looking at my map looking for new locations. I keep the map for fun, certainly I do not expect that people pore over it! I enjoy each card I receive. :slight_smile:
@jacieslar #20 Thanks for the wonderful Key West LP card. It is definitely summer here…about 90*F and humid. Blech.
@Beachyblonde #21 Thank you for the Key West card. I hope pool day didn’t get rained out too bad!
@roxy #24 Thanks for Niagara-on-the-Lake! Do locals have a shorter name for it? It reminds me of Carmel-by-the-sea, which we all just call Carmel.
@suatelier #23 OMG, this houseplant card has me dying of laughter. Thank you! You are so brave to walk 5+ miles home unplanned. I would have asked a coworker for a ride, or at least found a coffee shop in the middle to take a break.
@sarahaeyo #26 Thanks for the fun jackrabbit card! Your in-car handwriting is much better than mine on a stable surface, ha. I’m glad you clarified you weren’t driving! Hope the visit was awesome!
@TwoDoggies #28 Thank you for the fun medical card! You may still be on your cruise; I hope you’re having a lot of fun!
@melvnoble #29 Wow, Pittsburgh really does have lots of bridges! Chicago also has at least one stacked bridge. I drove on the bottom bridge once and lost cell signal, resulting in the GPS failing and me panicking…
@RockyRoadTrip #30 Thanks for the MA card. I remember chasing wild rabbits in Texas as a kid. They always won. I recall especially cheated when one of them squeezed through a fence that I obviously could not fit through.

3 Likes

18 reporting!

3 @Cruzin sent the most AWESOME card!! A vintage, X-large, wooden card with a fun doll drawing! I LOVE IT :smiley: What a unique find, thank you sooo much for sharing it with me :green_heart: :green_heart: You’ve outdone yourself once again :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I can’t wait to choose your card for next month, ha :upside_down_face:

14 @dnrhott sent an Italian gargoyle! I’m curious about them as well, probably people wanted to show off their stonework skills :smiley: Thank you so much! :star: :slight_smile:

1 Like

#26 received: #4, 12, 14, 23, 25

4 @jenhart - thank you for the retro-futuristic travel poster card! :comet: :sparkles: omg the photos from the JWST were gorgeous and breathtaking! it is amazing how far we have come with technology to be able to capture something as vast as the universe (and i will wait patiently for the postcard versions of these images haha)

12 @Yarn-Lady - sends fun facts about crater lake national park! thank you omg this park is gorgeous! :mountain_snow: i wasnt planning to stop by crater lake on my pacific northwest trip but omg i might have to see if i can squeeze it in (or i will just have to make a second trip!)

14 @dnrhott - thank you for the nautical-themed van gogh :sailboat: summer so far has been h o t haha. we are currently in the midst of a heat wave, so today would have been a lovely day to have been out on the water!

23 @suatelier - LITERALLY ME THO. stay at home club is my favourite - SAHC definitely have not helped my snarky enamel pin problem. thank you so much :mango:

25 @teddypostcrossing - thank you for “many lands under one sun” omg your stamp is so cute! i dont think it is smeary at all :dog: my summer has been busy, as well - i am in the perpetual cycle of preparing to go on vacation → going on vacation → crying at my email inbox when i come back from vacation lol

2 Likes

i grew up in london on (aka “fake london”) - half way between windsor and toronto. although currently, most of my family and extended family live in toronto or in the greater toronto area :blush: so that is “home” whenever i am in town for a visit!

1 Like

I drive past London fairly regularly! In fact, I just did this weekend when we visited friends in Kitchener. I think we’ve only ever stopped in London a couple times, and that was just to eat on the way to the Falls.

1 Like

Thank you! Don’t think of it as butting in. I appreciate the help :smile:

Updated again :slight_smile: