[RR] North American January 2023 Round Robin - The New Year, New Postal Rate Edition - Closed

#25 with some cards to update!

#3 @Cruzin a blue cat card–Hope the storm wasn’t so big!
#4 @jenhart haha snack ladies card. I love the idea of LESS being your 2023 word–mine is (again maybe?) LIGHT–just feel lighter about everything, which includes decluttering and not buying. Maybe make my way through my postcard stash? Love it & best of luck!
#6 @mikeyz1 hehe one of my favorites–Pink Freud. I’m actually in psychiatry, so this is very appropriate :slight_smile:
#8 @Shesa-Renegade what a beautiful card from Costa Rica of butterflies and hummingbirds with beautiful decorations and stamps. I love the blue butterfly, and it really does represent fresh starts. Thank you!
#10 @emotis lovely snow! I do love the beginning of the year, too!
#13 @ladybug513 lovely New Year postcard and a Peanuts stamp! :slight_smile: Your NYE party sounds delightful :slight_smile:
#15 @AccentOnHakes what an adorable PC meetup card from Pasadena–I follow Geetika on IG bc her art is adorable (and her postcard designs are great!) Wasn’t Newfields Winter Lights wonderful? My MIL who can be very pessimistic even liked it :slight_smile:
#16 @jacieslar what a beautiful graphic card! Your afghan sounds wonderful! I prefer quilting (so much faster) than knitting afghans, but the afghans I’ve knitted are soooo warm and the most used in my home. Wishing you lots of knitting fun.
#18 @LaurenceB Ugh–what a lovely card all around. Your cards always bring an extra smile because the care you put into the cards are so dang evident! I love the Queen Bee card–and the Canadian year of the rabbit stamp is gorgeous! Best of luck on the remainder of the year for your 10K step challenge :slight_smile:
#21 @Beachyblonde a lovely New Year postcard! I don’t have any resolutions at all this year, just overall aiming to be LIGHTer in may ways–maybe weight? Decluttering definitely–just less of stuff.
#24 @roxy lol a cute couple err gold digging couple. Hope your 2023 is excellent, too!
#26 @sarahaeyo Lovely true blue postcard with so much coordinating decorations! Wishing you a much less stressful year!
#28 @TwoDoggies a beautiful blue lithograph. Oh m goodness the quilt sounds like it’s really coming along. I have so many quilt tops hanging out because I cannot bring myself to baste the dang quilt! Maybe this will inspire me?

Thank you all so very much!

4 Likes
Spoilers

Yes, the wife did get pregnant because they had gone to fertility clinic earlier in their relationship, and she got inseminated with that without his knowing. Now I kind of want to reread the book and re-experience the twists & turns of it!

#13 All of my cards have been mailed!

#29 - I have quite a few postcards to report, but I’m going to batch them out, so here’s the first batch! I appreciated how many of you used Olympics-themed stamps!!! It was such a treat!

#2 @CrimsonKing - Thank you Lesly for this postcard of Wild Bill Hickok! There’s something so fascinating about the old west and the stories that have come out of that era and those “wild” places. Also, the mustaches!

#3 @Cruzin - Thank you Lori for this postcard of a beautiful Deer! Thank you for the pug sticker and the Vancouver Olympics stamp! I didn’t get into the Crown, but I saw photos of Matt Smith as Prince Phillip. Also excited for new Who!! Glad it’s coming to Disney+ because I never had access to BBC America and had to wait for months for it to get to HBO Max. Very exciting!

#5 @carolreader - Thank you Carol for this Ohio Lou Paper postcard and the Olympics stamp! I hope your New Year’s Eve party was fun and not too exhausting. I definitely appreciate Ohio postcards. I enjoy seeing all the items chosen to represent Ohio. I don’t know what Cincinnati chili is but that’s the opposite of Ohio to where I grew up.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Thank you René for this adorable postcard of sloths! That’s so neat you got to see sloths on your trip! I have also heard they can be ferocious but man are they sweet looking! This postcard is the perfect example of how delightful they are. Why does it always look like they are smiling!? They aren’t allowed to be this cute!

#10 @emotis - Thank you Erin for this postcard “Hogwarts is my Home.” I was smitten by the owl so it took me a bit to realize the connection to Hogwarts! A friend of mine is collecting all the illustrated HP books and they are gorgeous. Such an investment to get different editions, but how fun to have them!

#15 @AccentOnHakes - Thank you Karen for this vintage postcard from the Holy Land and the 1976 Olympics stamps! I have never been, but it would be so fascinating to see historical religious sites. I am fascinated by ancient religions and love learning more about them.

#18 @LaurenceB - Thank you Laurence for this postcard of a gazelle! I have to admit I thought “is that a goat?” :laughing: I also mix up parrots and toucans so who am I to even act like I know my animals!? Thank you also for the adorable pug sticker and the giraffe and…I want to say orangutan…I am digging myself a hole, aren’t I? :rofl:

3 Likes

Another fabulous card from #13 @ladybug513 arrived yesterday. What a cool sculpture from Oslo! I love the stamps you used. Hopefully the twins aren’t too scarred by their discovery about Santa!

1 Like

Updated!

#23 received

#3 @Cruzin thank you for the shaped large letter Texas card! Wow I can’t imagine living off/on a whole different State/Province for that many years.

#10 @emotis thank you for the WT year of the pig! I hope you’ll get far in your reading resolution! I used to finish a 400 page book a night once a week in the dark as a teen but I somehow lost the interest in reading for pleasure now!

#15 @AccentOnHakes thank you for Geet’s meetup card! Sounds like you and your friends had a great time in Pasadena, thanks for sharing!

#16 @jacieslar than you for the year of the rabbit card! Lunar New Year is this Sunday and although it’ll be a bit quiet here in Canada, I’m definitely excited for what little celebrations the city has to offer.

#22 @uconn thank you for the large letter Washington! That is definitely unique washi tape. Love that artwork.

#26 @sarahaeyo thank you for the typography card! I also have that washi tape (but I never seem to bring it with me when I’m in the States). Maybe we both purchased it from Michaels !

#28 @TwoDoggies thank you for the rabbit card! I understand with the postcard problem - I’m trying to stop myself! I say this even though I bought $140 worth yesterday…woops

4 Likes

#4:

#6 @mikeyz1 : gorgeous fall view of Michigan. I’ve only been to Detroit so I’ll have to trust you about all the lovely places!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade : I love this lighthouse from Aruba. I can’t wait for our cruise in April! Did you sail the Canal? I’ve visited the locks, but never sailed through it.

#13 @ladybug513 : the Cathedral in one of my favorite places - Savannah. Thank you for the nice wishes and all the best to you too!

#20 @alcott1 : beautiful bike on the beach. I hope the nice weather is still holding out!

#25 @jocrafts : nice view of St. George, Utah. That is such a beautiful part of Utah!!

#27 @beatriceh : terrific illustrated chocolate things. What a great card. I hope you are having a great week start to finish this week.

Thank you!

3 Likes

#21 BeachyBlonde

Received:
#4 @jenhart Thank you for the President postcard! I am thrilled that the political ads are over here. I just can’t stand all of the hate and lies.

#7 @scoutingbear Thank you for the political postcard! Happy Birthday! We have started our GS cookie pre-sales. We pick up the boxes in two weeks!

#18 @LaurenceB Thank you for the lovely Women in Art postcard! I hope you all have settled into 2023 nicely!

#20 @alcott1 Thank you for the awesome Highland cow postcard! He’s so cute!

#28 @TwoDoggies Thank you for the fun postcard! I am so happy to read about your happy news!! How exciting!!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the adorable Mail a Manatee postcard for our game! It’s too fun!!

18 reporting! More cards have arrived!

1 @cawindt Thank you for the awesome map card of your state! I do hope to visit one day! A colleague asked me to bring my postcard collection to show him (he’s the only one who knows about my double life, HA!) - I think I will bring the map cards binder!

3 @Cruzin Setting the bar high for 2023!!! Thank you so much for the awesome London 3D postcard!! The girl in red makes it extra special! Love it :smiley:

6 @mikeyz1 Thank you very much for the duck decoy! How’s your resolution going? I’m failing mine - back to work has been tough!

11 @luckycherry Thank you for the Art of Instruction bird… Great minds think alike, because I sent you something from the very same set too!!! You’ll have to wait and see which one it is :upside_down_face:

14 @dnrhott Thank you very much for the pretty travel poster! I have yet to visit the west of Canada! Hope you are having a wonderful year so far :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 @AccentOnHakes Thank you so much for the beautiful WPD meetup card by Geetika! I love her artwork! We had a Covid scare here as well, but thankfully no one caught it after contact with the virus.

19 @ellistrations Thank you sooo much my friend for the gorgeous super shiny cheetah!!! I LOVE it!!! Love you New Year washi tape too!! so cool! I just had to get a new desk to put in my office because I was running out of storage space for cards, stickers, etc :upside_down_face: I have more cards than I will ever send!

20 @alcott1 Thank you so much for the beautiful bird illustration! A kingfisher I think? So pretty!! I’m slightly jealous of your super warm weather. More snow here tomorrow!

22 @uconn Thank you soooo much for the vintage flamingo card! Amazing!!! We have canceled our Costco card… too dangerous to go there! Then you end up with way too many protein bars!!

4 Likes

#22 uconn

#4 @jenhart great ice hockey card. My high school didn’t have hockey. Thanks for sharing that story :rofl:

#24 reporting.

#8 @shesa-renegade sent a gorgeous card from Cartagena, Colombia. Your vacation sounds amazing! I’m glad you had a good time.

#14 @dnrhott sent a beautiful Little Prince illustration. I’m familiar with the book but never read it.

#15 @AccentOnHakes sent a fabulous card from the Pasadena World Postcard Day Meetup. What a beautifully designed card - I love it! One of the best Meetup cards I’ve seen.

#19 @ellistrations sent Joseph Wiseman as Dr. No. I actually received two different James Bond cards in the mail today - a funny little coincidence.

#21 @beachyblonde sent a marvelous Queen Elizabeth memorial postcard. Thank you for thinking of me when you saw this. It’s a fabulous card!!

#22 @uconn has sent the last of his Lawrence Welk cards. I have enjoyed receiving these so much. Confession: sometimes I still watch a bit of his show on PBS … brings back fond memories of visiting my grandmother as a child.

3 Likes

#29 - A few more postcards to report!

#9 @volvomom - Thank you Kristin for La Luna! I do appreciate any moon postcards! I have a Luna Lovegood Moon tarot card and the art on it is so lovely. Maybe I’ll get a whole deck of various moon tarot cards! :laughing:

#11 @luckycherry - Thank you Carmen for this Houdini postcard and the quilt stamp! I haven’t listened to Criminal directly, but Phoebe has been on My Favorite Murder and done a story here and there and I enjoy it! I think I just heard an ad for The Opportunist but I haven’t listened yet! I will have to give it a try!

#14 @dnrhott - Thank you Delia for this postcard for Bondi Beach in Australia! I’ve never traveled outside the United States, but I do have a passport now. I’m hoping to simply visit Canada with it. My boyfriend’s passport expired though so I’ll have to wait for him to renew it before traveling abroad!

#19 @ellistrations - Thank you Barbara for the owls ringing in the New Year! Ever since New Year’s Day, I’ve been wanting to “cheers” and clink everything from our coffee mugs to dinner plates. :clinking_glasses: My boyfriend is about sick of me! :laughing: I know the feeling of self-control when it comes to buying! Here’s to a more frugal 2023 for us both!

3 Likes

#23 reporting

#2 @CrimsonKing thank you for the year of the rabbit card! It’s happening this Sunday and I’m excited for the festivities, especially tomorrow as my office is going out for lunch to celebrate

#4 @jenhart thank you for the TS card! My goal this year is also spend less, and use what I already have to completion before buying (looking at you stickers)

#14 @dnrhott thank you for the gnome card! I love fountain pens and inks as well. I’d love to know what samples you got!

#25 @jocrafts thank you for the illustration card! Wow a craft room! Definitely living one of my dreams. I’m so excited for you

1 Like

#27 reporting

#11 @luckycherry I love these retro-postcards! And thanks for sharing your favorite word. I remember when I realized Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was a real word. Craziness.

#21 @Beachyblonde Thank you for the tropical holiday card! Very Christmas in July :slight_smile:

#26 @sarahaeyo I did have a wonderful break. I hope you did too! Interestingly, I’m certain mine went so well because I spent it with cats only. No people allowed :slight_smile: :wink:

#28 @TwoDoggies I love Navy Pier! Great memories there. 115 sandwiches…that’s a lot. I’m sure the people you distributed them too appreciated your time and effort.

3 Likes

#6 reporting

#2 @CrimsonKing sent a great mountain bluebird card!

#4 @jenhart sent a great card from the Chuma Gullah Gallery card.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a great card of Botero! Such joy there!

#10 @emotis sent an Ohio University card. I want to go back. To visit Jackie O’s!

#13 @ladybug513 sent a great Marc Chagall card. I love the idea of Happy Noon Year!

#14 @dnrhott sent a funny card about doing your own stunts It made me giggle!

#18 @ellistrations sent a great LouPaper card of NYC!

#20 @alcott1 sent a great quote card, Not all who wander are lost!

#21 @Beachyblonde sent a great card from Anself Kiefer. That is a wonderful work!

#24 @roxy sent a nice writer card from Ireland. And great stamps!

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a wonderful Georgia O’Keefe card! My favorite O’Keeffe is a simple painting of a New Mexico painting church. I’m trying to remember where I saw it.

#27 @beatriceh sent a great woodpecker card. I love hearing about your reading adventures. And graduate studies can kill the enthusiasm for a topic!! :slight_smile:

#28 @TwoDoggies sent a great card from Nepal. Love it!

#29 @melvnoble sent a wonderful apples multiple card!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a TN county courthouse.

Thanks everyone for great cards!

6 Likes

#19 received:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - thank you! This card is precious! I’d have picked it up as well. I would love to see hatchlings one day, too. That would surely be a highlight in my lifetime. Sounds like a great vacation!

2 Likes

18 reporting!

7 @scoutingbear Thank you sooo much for the beautiful linen postcard! I’m in terrible shape too… tomorrow I’m going to a yoga class to feel less guilty

26 @sarahaeyo Thank you so much for the epic collage!!! You know me so well because I DO love it :smiley: especially the flamingo! I really want to do more collage but I never seem to have results as beautiful as what we see online or in books! I used to light candles, but since I had kids… Not the best idea anymore!

28 @TwoDoggies What an awesome card!!! Love the vintage airstream trailer!! It’s just perfect for my collection. I once read somewhere… when you have kids you don’t go on a vacation, you just take care of your kids in a different city :rofl: We were never campers in my family!

1 Like

#2 reporting

#18 @LaurenceB sent Rabbit, thank you Lau! I love this little guy, hehe. I’ve never been to an escape room, but I’d definitely play board games, I’m almost always down for those. Yes, the holidays were good, nice and quiet, it was just my husband and I, loved it!

#27 @beatriceh sent Pantone 100, thank you Charisse! These cards are great and I can’t explain why, haha! If you want to send me a lot of pantone cards, go for it, I won’t stop you. :grin: Yellow was my mom’s favorite color, I’m happy you chose it for me.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent birthday wishes with a cake, thank you Rocky! My first cake card for my January challenge. The last cake I had was lemon with no icing on top, less sugar that way, haha! :laughing:

1 Like

#9 has received #10 @emotis! I love these squirrels! Cutest!
IMG_2506

And…from #18 @ellistrations My only goal is to do yoga more often this year. I need zen! Thanks for the cool stamps and the adorable cat!
IMG_2507 (1)