[RR] North American January 2023 Round Robin - The New Year, New Postal Rate Edition - Closed

#4 @jenhart – “Let’s All Go to the Lobby”–isn’t this really what going to the movies is all about?

#13 @ladybug513 – Cygnaeus’ villa in the 1870’s–gorgeous!

#25 @jocrafts – “Tails”-- What a fashion statement!

#27 @beatriceh – Lovely scene–a great place to enjoy dessert–I like that New Year’s resolution

#29 @melvnoble – A Pittsburgh neighborhood by local artist Ron Donoughe

Thank you!

I am so jealous! I really want to do a transatlantic on Cunard!

1 Like

We did sail through the canal! So awesome!!

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade here with cards received this week!

#2 @CrimsonKing sends a gorgeous Alaskan mermaid. You’re right, who would have thought mermaids lived in the cold Alaska waters!

#3 @Cruzin sends a gorgeous black & white card of Princess Diana. I am so glad you watched the videos! My sister is a hoot! I’ve already started buying a few things for next year.

#4 @jenhart sends a bear card for my hibernate theme. I used to live in Knoxville and went to the NP a couple of times a year. I was always amazed in the summer when parents had their kids out to take a picture with the bear. SMH

#10 @emotis sends a momma bear and her cub in a tree. Yes, let’s follow the sunshine!

#13 @ladybug513 sends a gorgeous St. Bernard at Mount Hood. I hope you had a great time with your daughter and granddaughter and that your mani was fun!

#14 @dnrhott sends vintage card from the Grand Canyon. I really want to get back and visit again.

#19 @ellistrations sends an adorable shiba inu postcard. A few of your goals are my goals too…save some money and stop buying cards for awhile (I have so many), don’t procrastinate, and write more (I have a couple of science journal articles that I need to finish).

#20 @alcott1 sends a green door for my hibernate theme. The weather has been mild here, too, except for that one major cold snap in December. I wonder what is behind that door!

#27 @beatriceh sends snuggling polar bears! I love polar bears, too, and have thought about a trip to Canada to see them in the wild. I saw Martha Steward do a bus trip up there probably 10 years ago and it has stuck with me.

#29 @melvnoble sends a bear that doesn’t look too happy. We have one of these light displays at our local zoo, too. It’s called “Glow Wild.”

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sends a Rip Van Winkle card for my hibernate theme! Except for going to school (work), I pretty much hibernate during the winter, too. I try to do my errands on the way home so I can stay in on the weekends. I spent all day today writing letters and cards to friends while in my jammies…HAHA.

Received 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Can’t wait to see: 7, 12, 24

5 Likes

#17’s cool arrivals
#4 @jenhart Asheville NC: Beer City USA, Who knew? Not me. When I think Asheville, I think Biltmore Estate, Great Smoky Mountains, and Cherokee not far away

#7 @scoutingbear Humorous outhouse card: “Come visit us, we have lots of sitting room”

#13 @ladybug513 a vintage style card, “Thinking of You”, given to Avon representatives at one time. I agree…if the company was going to pass out gifts, money would be better than a postcard.

#27 @beatriceh black and white photo, "Hollywood Tower Hotel. The new year’s going okay

#29 @melvnoble black and white photo of Alberto Giacometti, Paris, 1960, by Henri Cartier Bresson. Cool picture. As close as Cleveland is to me, have never been there. I’d like to see the art museum, and the rock and roll museum. I’d probably skip the Christmas Story house.

1 Like

#23 received

#30 @RockyRoadTrip thank you for the LP Cape Cod card! I’ve never been here before but I’ve received so many cards from there that I kinda want to visit!

#25 @jocrafts a nice glossy decor filled National park of Haleakala HI very nice thank you.

#29@melvnoble thank you for the bird :bird: nice.

Thank to #30 @RockyRoadTrip for your humorous take on the photo of Lt. Ronald Reagan. Your card went on a bit of a trip. It was postmarked in Westchester, NY on the 14th, then it was postmarked again on the 19th…in Santa Clarita, California!

Maybe it wanted to visit the Reagan Library…

#11 received:

#4 @jenhart thank you for the map of Door County, WI! I love it! I looked up the goats on the roof at Gills Rock - what a sight to see! I listened to the My Favorite Murder podcast a few years ago and was an avid fan, but I stopped listening to them after a while. Hope you enjoy them!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade thank you for the toucan card! How sad to hear of the injured toucan, but I’m happy to hear he’s safe now! Sounds like an amazing trip. I’d love to travel and go birdwatching.

#18 @LaurenceB thank you for the France map card and the matching washi tape! I love the Year of the Ram and Toronto stock exchange stamps as well! Haha, yes, if only our mailboxes were farther away, we’d walk more :joy:

#25 @jocrafts thank you for the Bryce Canyon National Park card! Squirrels are my favorite animal and I’m intrigued by how squirrels in different areas look differently (to adapt to their local region). I appreciate the stamp themed washi tape and philatelic stamp too!

#28 @TwoDoggies thank you for the Tausendschoen bird card and Raven Dance stamp!! Your pet bird sounds so endearing! I just discovered Tausendschoen cards today and ordered some on Etsy. Is there a better place to buy them online?

#29 @melvnoble thank you for the vintage Pittsburgh map! I agree, it’s cool to compare the old maps to the modern day view! Wow, there are so many bridges in Pittsburgh!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip thank you for the card from “In Our Time: The World as Seen by Magnum Photographers.” I love it! The fashion in the photo, the wallpaper, the smoking indoors - it’s all so interesting! I decided to take a one-month break from alcohol in 2018, and felt so good health-wise after the month ended that I kept extending it. Still going strong now. I wish you the best!

1 Like

Two cards to report! #9 has received…

#13 @ladybug513 Thanks for matching my word challenge! And happy birthday to you this month! Thank you, too, for the birthday postcard. Made my day! :slight_smile:

#20 @alcott1 Oooh! I never get tired of Alice cards! This is one of my favorite quotes, too!

IMG_2532

1 Like

Updated!

so pretty!!! I love that you keep a sample log!

1 Like

I have cards to report from the last week:

My thanks to:
#20 @alcott1 Cute “Looking for coffee” card… I like the design on this one!
#25 @jocrafts have fun with your craft room and cute washi and stickers
#28 @TwoDoggies Mackinac Fudge! I’ve never made it… but I buy it every time I’m Up North.
#29 @melvnoble Ha! Grim Reaper with a coffee. Cute!!!
#30 @RockyRoadTrip Lovely frozen Mackinac. I’ve visited a few times in the winter… nothing is open once you go over the bridge. But it’s so calm and pretty.

Thanks so much everyone!!!

To Receive: 7, 12, 13, 27

#25 here, received:

#29 @melvnoble I love the neon star card. I am writing 2022 everywhere still… Maybe in February?
#30 @RockyRoadTrip A lovely painting of Newsome taking down the dumb flag that used to be on the SC capitol grounds. I remember this news–it was atrocious it took that long.

Thank you both!

#30@RockyRoadTrip–Sleigh ride! That looks like fun, but you’re right about the horses. We’re expecting a big snowfall tomorrow.

Just checking in to say that I do have a backlog of received cards and cards that simply need stamp and to be put in the mailbox. Life is insane right now. I haven’t forgotten and they will come soon!

1 Like

#29 - Finally have the time to report the rest of the stack of postcards I have received!

#4 @jenhart - Thank you Jennifer for this postcard of President Joe Biden! Oh wow, a heated blanket sounds so nice on those super cold days! And if it gets cuddle time with the kitty, that’s such a great bonus!

#6 @mikeyz1 - Thank you Mike for this postcard of the Titanic! I had a friend growing up who was obsessed with the Titanic, so I feel like I have a lot of random knowledge about it. She even had a board game we would play where the goal was to get off the ship in a lifeboat. Poor taste? :laughing:

#13 @ladybug513 - Thank you Susan for this postcard of the Olympic Ski Jump from the 1976 Innsbruck Olympics! I’ve never been skiing. I don’t have a good sense of balance most of the time, so I don’t imagine I’d enjoy skiing.

#16 @jacieslar - Thank you JoAnne for this postcard “Jumping on the Moon” with a really neat 3D effect! We put our holiday decorations away around the 15th. I definitely know the feeling of the house looking “naked” in the days following!

#20 @alcott1 - Thank you Mary Ellen for this postcard of Butterflies by French painter Odilon Redon! I looked up the artist and one of the first paintings I saw was of a spider, which was not pleasant. He has a few darker paintings…at least the butterflies are pretty!

#21 @Beachyblonde - Thank you Whitney for this postcard of Clingmans Dome at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee! I love the moon in the background, too! I did get to see the Wolf Moon! I didn’t take out my telescope though…it’s too cold to take it outside, but sometimes if the angle is right I can look through my window. The war effort stamp is too cool!

#22 @uconn - Thank you James for this postcard of a moose and arctic butterflies! I don’t think I’ve ever seen moose and I didn’t know there were arctic butterflies, so that’s really neat! I was in bed before 12:30 after ringing in the New Year.

#24 @roxy - Thank you Brenda for this postcard of the Prime Ministers of Canada since Confederation! I have a friend in Canada and she loved this postcard and your note about crushing on Trudeau! She likes him too. I also thought the flags since Confederation was interesting. It’s wild how recent the current flag is!

#27 @beatriceh - Thank you Charisse for this postcard for the New Year! The little kitty is so cute! January has been a bit busy with my work, but also pretty nice outside of work. I started a new crochet top and I am loving the yarn I’m using, so that’s been rewarding. Hope the desserts have been delicious!

#28 @TwoDoggies - Thank you Terri for this postcard of some of the Weasley siblings! I had some stickers of this art style with many of the characters a while back. Very cute! That’s so neat you found some family tracing back to the Mayflower! I’ve been working on some of my family mysteries by using DNA, but it’s so complex!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Thank you Rocky for this vintage postcard of the Kennedy Space Center! It is wild that we just stopped going to space. I took a tour here in 2011 and they were talking about getting into commercial space flights and how that is the future. I don’t think I’ll ever travel to space for leisure if it happens in my lifetime!

3 Likes

#5 with another card -

#30 @rockyroadtrip checks the box of unusual cards with this one from Barbara Kruger. I’ve seen other cards by her, so I googled the name, and found: “Her work examines the stereotypes and behaviors of consumerism through the eyes of feminist discourse with jarring sophistication.” Like you said on back of the card – “she’s debating whether or not to steal these pantyhose”. Thanks!

1 Like

#23 received

#8 @Shesa-Renegade a gorgeous Queen Emma Bridge & Handelskade Curacao card! Thank you for sharing a card from your trip. I always love seeing all these colored houses along the street!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA 2 cards! An Oregon view card and a Happy New Year flowers one. I actually had pork and sauerkraut for New Years when I was in the States as well!

#20 @alcott1 a cute cat illustration card with ramen! I just put my chopsticks down an hour ago after eating ramen! How fitting. Our weather isn’t looking great here. Currently in the middle of a snow storm!

#27 @beatriceh a new year card! True, the year is already flying by. Surprised it’s February next week!

#29 @melvnoble an oil painting, Painting In Scotland by Samuel John Peploe! Haha no worries, I also wrote 2022 quite often but it’s easy to loop the end of the 2 down to make a 3! NOT excited for next year, when it becomes 4…can’t get out of correcting that one discreetly.

2 Likes