[RR] North American January 2021 Round Robin - New Year Edition - Closed!

#11 TandemStoker

Received these great cards. :heart:

#1 @cawindt
A bike to add to my collection. Oh Happy Day today … feeling hopeful yet cautious. Great postage. Thank you, Craig!

#2 @DCMdVa
A Lou Paper postcard. I am so happy to have this (and I see a collection starting!). I have never had a pair of those bird embroidery scissors and I think I will have to buy one this year. I “shopped" my postcard box last year and will do the same this year. Thank you, Penny!

#7 @treeclimber
A flea market from The Art of Urban Sketching. A trip to Italy in the fall sounds wonderful. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Yes, I miss traveling, too. Love the postage of the kids sledding. Thank you, Deb!

#12 @Yarn-Lady
A beautiful collage from Cavallini. I’m happy to have this as I’ve challenged myself to a 52-week collage challenge and will use this as reference. Have you done collage? I’m hoping by practicing, it will be easier each week. Thank you, Cynthia!

#15 @AccentOnHakes
Greetings from the World’s Largest Truckstop! Who doesn’t love a road trip just to visit places like this? Hoping to visit our son in Ohio in the near future. Great postage. Thank you, Karen!

#16 @hootnoodle
The Green Lantern. Georgia is blue and today we have a new President and Vice President! Thank you for your hard work, Mary!

#25 @jocrafts
“The Development of Old Glory” souvenir. Yes, January 6th was a tough day to watch tv and today couldn’t come soon enough! I’ll be watching the Inauguration and feeling hopeful. Thank you, Jo!

#26 @mebertram
Jackson Square in New Orleans. We visited Houston for a quick weekend trip a few years ago and had we been there longer we definitely would have visited New Orleans. Yes, I’m looking forward to traveling again. Adorable postage. Thank you, Mary Ellen!

I haven’t been able to get to Yellow Creek (now a park) for some time. It has had problems with flooding so some of the trails are impassable now. If the creek levels are low when it warms up, I might try to check it out again!

#28 received a Jaguar card by Adrien Vermont from #13 @ladybug513. I only recently learned of this artist but I enjoy his whimsy.

“Taint what a horse looks like, it’s what a horse BE.” Terry Pratchett

3 - cruzin - White Swan illustration - just beautiful work!
4 - mommi - Folk costumes from Trakai, Lithuania - amazing weaving and needlework
7 - treeclimber - another weaving from Navajo Chevrolet - I would love to know its story!
8 - shesa-renegade - Kid Mountain Goat at Glacier - they are amazing creatures! Eating outside in the cold - somehow, always fun even when cold!
9 - mere5oh - Grand Island Bridge - what a wonder!
14 - mezzanine2 - These ceremonial robes are so amazing - I know a gentleman that weaves these. The weaving and the dedicating are quite intense. So beautiful!
15 - accentonhakes - beautiful cardinals ! - I love what you were doing while writing cards. Still waiting for our part of Oregon to get vaccines!
17 - katie333 - a sampler of textiles - Interesting blocks of Marimekko
24 - roxy - I do love the old train stations - this one from Englehart - old and new beauties!
26 - mebertram - the old south Meeting House - oh, I would love to go in !!
30 - rockyroadtrip - Dominion Atlantic Train - looks like a true workhorse!

Thank you all so much for the great cards!
I’ve been typing this in between different moments in the Inauguration festivities! :smile:

3 Likes

Reporting in! :slight_smile:
@ellistrations received a lovely cat cartoon, my cats also sit on bags lol. Loved it! :slight_smile:
@RockyRoadTrip great stamp card, with Washington credo on it - now that’s a sentiment I can get behind.
@cawindt I have been to Williamsburg, back at a time when we could all travel - agree with you there. Thought this card was quite neat and then I noticed the sparkles!! Woohoo.

1 Like

February is open!

2 Likes

#5 with more cards:

#6 @mikeyz1 – The “Myrna Loy Room” from a small-town museum. Looks like an interesting place to visit - thanks! In past years, I’ve gone on Sunday afternoon driving tours around Ohio. I agree, it’s a lot of fun.

#11 @TandemStoker – A Hollywood mural of all the great stars sitting together as an audience. Fun card – thank you! I am writing this on January 20th, and it is indeed a great and moving day. I hope your photo challenge yields some interesting, postcard-suitable images.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip – I really like this bush elephant exhibit – 24,000 pounds! And in the Smithsonian! Great card - thanks!

@mezzanine2 #14 a nice card from a 2002 art exhibit in Vancouver. Pretty cool card. Thanks!

1 Like

My thanks to:
#11 @TandemStoker Pretty scene of the Montana Rockies
#13 @ladybug513 Vintage reprint of Chase and Sanborn coffee ad. Love, love coffee. (and I"ve been drinking it all day…so it looks like it may be a looooong night)

to be received:20, 21, 25, 30

From #14@mezzanine2

After a busy day, the American delegation shows up, and the postcards deliver colour, personality and perspective. Thank you all for the warm welcome, friendly messages, and thoughtful, intentional presentations from the American community next door.

A postcard image of The Albright Memorial Library in Scranton, PA from @anon38654847 #4 . Hopefully the snow has abated; here in Vancouver we have had a respite from rain, so we are enjoying a little bit of sun. I’ve visited Pennsylvania before as I’ve visited Pittsburgh for the Andy Warhol Museum.

An oversized postcard of West Hill and Highland Square in NE Ohio from @carolreader #5. Vancouver and Cleveland have an established connection as the Cleveland Art Museum sent a travelling exhibition to the Vancouver Art Gallery many years ago.

A striking postcard image of the Mint Museum in Charlotte,NC from @treeclimber #7. I’ve started to look into travel to other states in the USA pre-pandemic. Now I am curious to discover what’s in their art collection.

I like this unusual image of California with oranges and a snowy mountain from @Shesa-Renegade #8. The highly descriptive memory of having an orange tree was much appreciated.

To @AccentOnHakes #15 with a postcard of a Postcrossing meetup in Indiana, and a sparkly US Post holiday stamp. Thanks for revealing the Canadian connection!

A postcard image of Percival Landing in neighbouring Washington state from @hootnoodle #16. It looks picturesque. When international travel resumes and it is safe, I look forward to visiting next door once again.

Another representation of Ohio with a postcard of a photo mosaic of Canfield Fair from @melvnoble #29. There’s a whole menagerie featured here: toucan sticker, chicken postcard image, the iconic Bugs Bunny on a stamp.

Last, but certainly not least, a postcard image related to Depeche Mode’s “Policy of Truth” sent by @RockyRoadTrip. It’s my first music related postcard received through Postcrossing, and while I probably listen to their greatest hits compilations frequently nowadays, “Violator” was their first album I bought, and have enjoyed their live shows when they visited Vancouver.

Some inauguration entertainment was on the television tonight in the home, and I was thrilled to hear Bill Withers’ “Lovely Day” performed by some everyday Americans. Poring over the postcards with that song in the background was definitely a highlight of today.

2 Likes

#6 reporting

#3 @Cruzin sent a great hummingbird card!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a fun card about how much we love to hate work! :slight_smile:

#24 @roxy sent an awesome card of Thoreau’s writing room.

#25 @jocrafts sent a nice card of the Statue of Library with “We are all immigrants on it,” a great addition to my burgeoning new collection.

Thanks all for great cards!

1 Like

#29 Two owl-y postcards arrived! :owl:

#17 @katie - Thank you for this adorable owl illustration postcard! I looked at the House Mouse Designs website and the art style is so lovely. Owls are just wonderful creatures!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Love this intersection of two things I love: history and owls! It reminds me of some modern quirky and colorful depictions of owls with big eyes and patterns on the body. Love it!

Check out all the postcards I’ve received in this RR here!
(and thanks to Rocky for the idea to share my flickr album this way :smile:

2 Likes

Received
@mezzanine2 thankyou having fun with postcrossing, and I love the cat.:blush:
@ladybug513 happy 2021,love the stamp…
And phil,hopefully it will be warm soon…
@RockyRoadTrip sorry to hear about your cats :sleepy:
Good luck with renovation with your kitchen…I like your user name…and the precious cats awww…
@mere5oh how is the office looking?good luck .:yellow_heart:love the stamp…

1 Like

#11 TandemStoker. More great cards to report. :heart:

#4 @anon38654847
Handmade card with “Don’t Go Bacon My Heart” sticker. Love that ticket rubber stamp. Thank you, Faith!

#5 @carolreader
A Wiener Mobile on Route 66 in Bixbe, Arizona. I hate to admit it, but I like hot dogs, too, but I do a no no and put ketchup on mine LOL! Mud over ice any day for hiking. Once the weather warms, I’ll take more nature photos. Currently, the photos have been of projects and objects inside the house. Thank you, Carol! PS Yesterday was a good day!

#8 @shesa-renegade
WPA Bryce Canyon NP poster. I love this set of NP cards. I hope you’re ready for the new semester. So happy my son has a semester of teaching undergrads now under his belt (Fall 2020) and the last time I spoke to him, he was getting ready for the upcoming semester. He said he learned a lot and came to enjoy it. Thank you, Rene!

#24 @roxy
Hi and Not Shy buttons from the Button Box 100 Postcards. Do you collect pin back buttons? Christmas was nice and relaxing. My tree is still up. I’ve decided to keep it up until the end of this month as the lights are so pretty. Great postage. Thank you, Brenda!

1 Like

#28 received from #29 @jocrafts a card depicting the life cycle of a frog. I can’t recall how I became a frog enthusiast. I was always a tomboy and fascinated with nature. Watching Pollywogs and ant hills were two of my favorite pastimes.

They did not :sweat_smile:

#25 jocrafts here, received from:

#2 @DCMdVa what a lovely watercolor fox! The small, content smile really is reflective of peace, isn’t it?

#4 @anon38654847 A lovely vintage quote about helping people enjoy their problems! haha. I have found painted rocks before, and they bring so much joy.

#6 @mikeyz1 A most perfect message for me for the moment. I had to put my mind back to doing all of the hard things! Also, a perfect Jessie Owens stamp :heart: What a hero! Peace and happiness to you, too!

#10 @emotis Teeeheeee-a most perfect postcard filled with delightful patriotic washi! :grin: :us_outlying_islands: Yesterday did feel better than Christmas this season in our household. We were constantly sharing ALL the memes, haha.

#29 @melvnoble I did not remember Gale Norton (back in the day when I didn’t care about presidential cabinets), and wow–she’s Ayn Rand fan. I now understand why the cartoon was poking on why she probably shouldn’t be interior secretary. I suppose it wasn’t as obviously as conflict of interest-y as Rex Tillerson. Perhaps it was! I love hand-knit sweaters, too! I really don’t enjoy crocheting enough to knit a whole sweater! I hope the weather is perfect for your sweater :smiley:

1 Like

Updated!

Also, please remember when reporting your received cards to list both the name and number of the person whose card you’ve received. With just the name, I have to hunt through the list to locate the person. Thanks!

1 Like

Few more arrivals!

@mebertram #26 sent a lovely card from Avalon, Catalina.
@Yarn-Lady #12 sent a really sweet owl card, owls are wonderful!!
@hootnoodle #16 sent a super cute Pusheen card. Sadly, it was really manhandled by the postal service, but her little face is still intact!

Thanks all for the great cards and stamps.

Two postcards trickle in on Thursday after Wednesday’s haul for #14 Mezzanine2:

From #19 @ellistrations, an exuberantly illustrated image of colourful fruits – apples, lemons, pineapples, cherries and the like. It’s like a visual resolution for the new year to consume more fruits. I like mango too, and if you have a chance, try a lychee or a yellow kiwi fruit too. Rest assured this was a perfect choice.

From #21 @Beachyblonde, a postcard image of a painting by Charles E. Burchfield from a museum in Tennessee. He definitely rings a bell; I remember seeing his work at the Burchfield Penney Arts Centre in Buffalo, New York. Buffalo is definitely worth a vacation visit.

I love the lovely clash of stamp images: pears, lemons, Arnold Palmer, Jacqueline Cochran, luge, and even a jury duty stamp (!). Thank you so much!