[RR] North American February 2023 Round Robin - The My Heart Beats for Postcards Edition - Closed!

#27 @beatriceh reporting:

All of my cards have been sent!

#3 @cruzin Love the Archie stickers! Every time I see anything from this comic, I’m just brought back to my childhood. I’ve fallen behind on my reading. Too many migraines. I have a short road trip coming up. Hopefully, I can read some then.

#4 @jenhart Thanks for the lovely baking paraphernalia card. Key lime is the first and only pie I’ve ever tried. I really liked it!

#6 @mikeyz1 Isn’t it great when you get to see the work of artists you like in person? I’ll never forget seeing Caravaggio’s collection in Rome.

#7 @CStar9 I loved your card! One of my good friends says I should write a book about all of the misspellings I’ve gotten. I don’t know why it’s so hard. Do you get any Hannibal Lecter jokes? I get them all of the time.

#21 @sunshein Thank you for the lovely handmade card! I’ve never thought of the intricacies of our cutlery use. Now I want to know how Europeans do things?

#22 @uconn Cool card! I’ve not heard of this artist so thanks for the introduction. All of our snow has melted now :frowning:

#23 @suatelier one of my cats talks all day long and the other only vocalises when something is wrong. I’d just be surprised a group of cats could be controlled enough to be in a choir!

#24 @roxy Thanks for the fun love uncensored card. There are so many great postcard collections.

#26 @sarahaeyo Thanks for the recipe card. I had a recipe lined up for this weekend, but I’ll add this one to my list. Wit one substitution, I could make it for my boss, who has recently become vegan.

#28 @TwoDoggies Thanks for the lovely heart/dove card. I can’t listen to the vanished and other unsolved podcasts for the same reasons. I prefer having, at least, legal resolution even though I know families are still suffering.

#29 @melvnoble Thanks for the interesting non-commissioned officers card. I just received your January NARR card as well so I’ll have to report that today or tomorrow. The mail is odd!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Love the tribune tower card. That building has changed hands a few times in the last decade. The news industry is doing so great, unfortunately.

7 Likes

@beatriceh Gurl, yes, I have gotten creepy Hannibal lector “Clarisssssse” intros since the movie came out when I was like 10. I have a good sense of humor but seriously, why would this ever be an appropriate way to meet someone new? Like I can see it on people’s faces when they are gearing up for it. They’re like, I’m sorry, I have to. And I’m like, go ahead. I feel slightly amused but also confused. Like hi, I have known you for 4 milliseconds, but DO GO ON about how you’d like to eat me with fava beans, here at this WORK CONFERENCE.

/rant

2 Likes

#5 reporting:

#3 @cruzin – An image of an antelope with a huge, red-flowering tree growing from its antlers. Looking closely at the picture, I can see that this is an oryx, an African antelope. Two things are interesting about this. First, “Oryx and Crake” is one of my favorite Margaret Atwood books. Have you read it? Second, I recently found out that oryxes were brought to southern New Mexico and now thrive there in the wild. The thoughts that a postcard can inspire! On the other hand, I still don’t understand the tree. Thanks for the card and thought experiment!

#4 @jenhart – What a great portrait of Joe Biden! I have so much admiration for him. Thank you for the card!

#10 @emotis – A art collage of a sunflower created from postage stamps. Unique and very attractive. I’d love to see the original. Thanks

#14 @dnrhott – Delia, I’ve only driven through Maine, and that was many years ago. So, like you, I can say I haven’t been to Maine. This picture of windjammers off the coast of Maine is beautiful. The ocean looks so blue. I can almost imagine being there. Thank you.

#23 @suatelier - Reproduction of a vintage Valentine’s card. Thanks! I don’t pay attention to most holidays. This year, though, my significant other and I did some hiking on a gorgeous, warm day. Then he treated me to lunch. But we did this the day before Valentine’s, to avoid the crowds.

#26 @sarahaeyo – Your card is so - pink! It’s really pretty. Thank you. Glad you got out on Valentine’s Day. Myself, I haven’t “dressed to the nines” in years!

#29 @melvnoble – A great card for Black History Month - MLK buttons. These bring back memories of the sixties. Thank you!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip – Great vintage postcard of George Washington commanding the troops. It’s signed by the artist, “R. Veenfliet”. I looked him up – he was an early 20th century commercial artist, “perhaps best known for his postcards.” Postcard history, here. Thanks for the rare and fantastic card!

You can see my cards received here.

4 Likes

#4 has received:

#2 @CrimsonKing : field of red for Valentine’s Day. We didn’t do anything in particular for Valentine’s - I had a PT appointment until 6:30 :laughing:

Thank you

2 Likes

#12 - with a delighted heart that they are catching up on the mail… our POs in the area are working on 1/3 staff - if you know someone who wants a post office career, they are hiring in central Oregon!

2 @CrimsonKing - A lovely graphic of a lighthouse - bold sunset colors! Ice Cream - I’m always a yes!

3 @Cruzin - a New Yorker cover “A New York Moment” I love these covers!

6 @mikeyz1 - ‘Once was Red’ watercolor by William C Wright… I love this… I live around so many of these barns… went to area where we used to farm recently and saw that many were gone - made me sad. And, some great old stamps!

7 @CStar9 - watercolor of a guard llama and sheep - this is delightful! Guard llamas are such fun!
I loved your card and your long message - thank you for sharing!

8 @Shesa-Renegade - February clothes - I didn’t use the amount I usually do… strangest winter… ugh, I hope you got through the nasty ice ok…

13 - @ladybug513 - The Old City of Jeruselem with bedoins on camels… an old beautiful card. ACK - my desk is a nightmare… maybe pushing it all on the floor so I have to pick it up!

15 @AccentOnHakes - Stunning card of bedoins on camels guiding touists in a sports car through the Negev! This is so bizarre that you know it is true! :rofl: and lovely old stamps

18 @LaurenceB - Beautiful Bretagne lace cap - and collar. Amazing workfrom the city of lace! And two recipes - which to cook first??? The look so yummy! Hopw it is warmer there now!

23 @suatelier a Cat Choir singing me Happy Valentine’s Day - what a delightful card! OOOO! a new kitty! Wonderful stmaps!

28 @TwoDoggies - Joyful birds and birdhouses… the birds here are starting to investigate the houses! My last sweater ended up with sleeves long enough for two people! :rofl: :rofl: I still need to fix it! And, great stamps!

30 @RockyRoadTrip Black Creek Pioneer Village spinners and a ‘beau’ - with root vegetables hanging and modern dyes for the yarns! Reenactments are such fun! I’m always glad to see it demonstrated.

Great Cards - wonderfulstamps - delightful decorations! Thanks so much!

Hopefully, the box will have more cards tomorrow!!!

7 Likes

And March is open!

2 Likes

#6 reporting

#9 @volvomom sent a great vintage Valentine’s Day card! Valentine’s Day is a lot of fun with a 4 year old!

#13 with cards from:

#4 @jenhart - Thank you, thank you for the Aunties! Not only are they sitting on the floor, they had to crawl under that table! I couldn’t do it!

#10 @emotis - “Lots of lucky bugs for you” This is just such a happy card! Thank you! I wish we had the selection of cards to be found in Europe. I’m jealous!

#14 @dnrhott - Thank you for this aerial view of the ride up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver Canada! I have to say I am not good with heights and really do not think I could do this. I did make it up the CN Tower in Toronto quite a number of years ago and stood with my back against the wall by the elevators!
Fraidy cat? you bet!

Received:

#3 @cruzin awesome Harry Potter PHQ card. And a Hogwarts Express stamp. All this Harry Potter makes my nerd heart happy!

#4 @jenhart The Fab Five, Disney can certainly do a lot better!

#6 @Mikeyz1 Cute CT Lantern Press card…. I don’t think of any food associated with CT. Maybe the East Coast shares their specialties? No matter…still a great card.

#7 @cstar9 fun Disney initial card! OK… these were also a set of Disney trading pins. My kids HAD to collect the entire alphabet when they were released. Fun times. (Y was the most difficult to acquire)

#15 @accentonhakes Beautiful view of Paso Robles. And I don’t know much about olive oil, only that my doctor says I should give up my butter addiction and turn to olive oil.

#26 @sarahaeyo Awww… matching stamp alert! Boston terrier card with lookalike stamp. SO cute!

#29 @melvnoble Swan fight card… “no, you’re the most beautiful one!”.

Thanks so much everyone!!!

To Receive: 9, 20, 24, 25

4 Likes

#8 Shesa-Renegade here with three more received postcards…YAY!

#4 @jenhart sends a gorgeous mermaid. She is lovely! I love her fancy pink tail with all of the scroll-work. Did you get your drumsticks for the Super Bowl? They sound delicious! It was just me here and I had pizza rolls and mini corn dogs…HAHA.

#15 @AccentOnHakes sends a great card from The Westin in Los Cabos! I really want to get back to Cabo. It has been about 25 years since I was last there. We should get a round robin group to go! :rofl:

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sends a “passion” filled postcard of Johnny Depp and Winona Rider. They look so young! He does still have the Winona forever tattoo, but after their breakup he had it changed to read “Wino forever”. Those crazy kids!

I love this round robin so much!

Received: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 30
Excited for: 9, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29

1 Like

#4 @jenhart Sanibel FL nice view FL seems lovely. Hope they rebuild so all can enjoy. Thank you .

#27 @beatriceh A happy Galentine card. Glad you enjoy me in HFM i do make time since this is my best hobby thank you.

#28 @TwoDoggies really like this illustration spring card Terri birds flowers trees all creatures seems happy. Love the washi. Thank you friend.

#29 @melvnoble Womrn who Dared Rosa Parks. Indeed this country has so much historic backgrounds and still in progress. Thankyou.

Thank you for these lovely cards friends. :grinning::candy::chocolate_bar::lollipop::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

#28 reporting:

#14 @dnrhott sent a vintage card of an exhibit in the Provincial Museum in Victoria, B.C., Canada. I haven’t been to the Natl Postal Museum in ages. Is it nice?

#29 @melvnoble sent a RPPC of Buffalo soldiers. I love snapshots in time like this. Thanks

#29 - One postcard arrived over the long weekend!

#3 @Cruzin - Thank you for this pretty heart tree for Valentine’s Day! My grandmother is a Valentine’s Day baby and she was named Valda in honor of the day! It took me into adulthood to put those pieces together and still, it blows my mind that I never realized! :laughing:

1 Like

I served over 7 years, while my husband did 21+ years. Together we had 4 peace-keeping missions and 4 combat missions. We’re done with active military service, but my spouse works for Department of the Army as a civilian employee, which lets us move. We tried the civilian route for a while, but missed the moving and exploring of new parts of the world.

2 Likes

School ends for summer break in May here in AZ. Keep in mind that we experience monsoon season (officially June 15 - September 30, but Mother Nature does what she wants).
It also depends on where you want to go in AZ. Average summer temps (Jun-Aug) in Phoenix are 105F, but in Flagstaff it’s only an average of 69F.
Lately April and May have been way warmer than the average, with humidity levels around 5-10%. This has led to tourists dying of heat related injuries, mainly because you hardly sweat and people don’t realize how intense the heat is.
The desert is at it’s prettiest at the end of monsoon / shortly after monsoon season, so September and early October are great travel months.

Here the offical verdict on May weather: May Weather | Arizona State Climate Office.

1 Like

#23 reporting

#4 @jenhart thank you for the Charleston view card! I didn’t watch the super bowl but I did go on YT to find Rihanna’s ASL translator! She’s so cool

#25 @HarleyGirl73 thank you for the Vegreville Pysanka card! I always find these huge statues hilarious - like the perogy one also in AB. Definitely need to visit that province one day

#30 @RockyRoadTrip thank you for the Aruba card! Now to buy some rum to make that recipe

1 Like

#6 reporting

#29 @melvnoble sent a great photo card of Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat. You should go to the Warhol Museum! It’s fascinating. I’ve been there a couple of times and come away inspired by the creativity and playfulness of Andy Warhol!

1 Like

Second update by #21:

#2 @CrimsonKing - “Beddgelert, North Wales, United Kingdom” by Sue Firth - very pretty painting of a Welsh town, though why the Casey, Illinois Post Office post marked the message is beyond my understanding

#4 @jenhart - a great Florida map - I’m with you on the whole Disney experience

#10 @emotis - Ohio map - I ended up looking up the number of counties in OH, as they seemed so small compared to AZ - the average Ohio county is 465 sq miles, while in AZ the average is 7,576 sq miles. This led me down more rabbit holes, but I won’t bore you with my findings :slight_smile:

#14 @dnrhott - Strawberry Lake in 1983, photographed by Acynthis Sanford - I learned a lot about geology in the last two years and this fits right in, as the lake was formed after the erosion of a stratovolcanic eruption millions of years ago.

#18 @LaurenceB - Portuegese woman’s costume painted by Alberto Jouzz in 1931 - heh, we complain when we get a “hard freeze” weather warning and it drops to -6C. I already told my husband I would not travel to Canada outside of the summer. Did you have a lot of damage from the pipes freezing? (thanks for the great stamps)

#23 @suatelier - vintage Valentine’s Day card with fabulous stamps - it’s actually snowed several times in February, so unusual. Temperatures can’t decide if they want to be in the 20Cs or down below 0C.

#24 @roxy - more flags! All of Canada’s provinces, territories and their capital flags along with fabulous stamps. Do you have a stamp for the weather or do you print it?

#29 @melvnoble - thank you for the Buffalo Soldier’s card from Washintong. It was a new base to me and my spouse, so we’ll be doing more research. We’d already planned on visiting the Buffalo Soldier museum on Fort Huachuca. As for Valentine’s Day: my husband declared years ago that my romantic bone is in my ear, but I remembered to get him a gift this year. Did you do anything special?

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Arkansas’ flag - I concur that it’s not very interesting visually, but most flags aren’t . The histories behind them are usually far more interesting. Have you seen the Turkemenistan flag? It’s the most elaborate one I’ve ever seen.

Still expecting: #9, 20, 25, and 27

3 Likes

@Sunshein I’m glad you like the card. :slight_smile: The reason the Casey, IL marked it that way was because of how I put it into the machine to be postmarked. You just slip the card into the box, but you cannot see how it gets postmarked so it was a guessing game on my part. :blush:

1 Like

#25 reporting.

From #8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a lovely Lantern Press card for Charlotte North Carolina. This postcard definitely has a Valentines theme. Great heart stickers and washi tape. Thanks.

From #16 @jacieslar I really like the Billy The Kid sepia portrait postcard. This is the only authenticated picture of him. Such lovely washi tape and stickers for valentines. Thanks.

3 Likes